Cadillac SLS from China

Northstar

Another way of looking at it is that GM's market share is growing in China..the overall market there is growing rapidly, while in the US it's share is declining, and the market isn't growing overall..  GM is putting it's money where the growth potential is...

214581[/snapback]

Well gee, I wonder why their market share is declining here. :stupid:

That is a good point but they do need to pay attention in China as well. Maybe this years NA auto shows will reveil the same or similar car.

I like the HVAC vents in this car. I think its kinda neat how they did it. Their long and thin, kinda go with the Cadillac theme.

I wish they would round the front corners of the front seats like the rear seats.

120 " WB is a must, BMW 750 is 123.2

I hope they widen the track. Simply lenghening the WB could upset the handling dynamics of the car. This may fly in China but if it comes to the US market, the auto magazines will be all over it.

Remember if this goes to STS is will also affect STS-V and a wider track is a must.

This also benefits shoulder, hip and trunk.........but not weight.

I don't see the track being an issue..the STS track is only 0.5 inch narrower than a 7-series, and the width is within 2 inches of the 7-series, and within 1 inch of the S-class...remember, modern full-size luxury cars like the LS, 7-series, S-class aren't as wide as the old time Detroit land yachts...

This of course $h!s all over the idea that the reason the current STS is the size it is, is because they couldn't lengthen the platform anymore then they already had.

214906[/snapback]

I've asked this question multiple times and never received an answer. I recall people posting several times that Sigma was stretched to its limits with the STS which is why DTS could not move to RWD and GM needed another platform for the ULS.

Fast forward a few years later, and Voila! We have a stretched STS... errr... SLS... :huh:

Speaking of SLS, I have no problem with the name. I think it's great to differentiate an STS & SLS by more than just trim. They’re both still the same vehicle and successfully serve Cadillac's mid-tier approach: STS & STS-V for sport/personal performance and the SLS for personal luxury. I think this is probably Cadillac’s best attempt ever at having an SLS & STS side-by-side. No one will think you were cheap for only affording an SLS… and not everybody wants a Large RWD sedan. :thumbsup:

Something that amazes me is that GM acknowledged the S in SLS still standing for Seville. Maybe there's hope for Cadillac's return to Eldorado, DeVille, & Seville. They'll still need a good C name though. :scratchchin:

Not anytime soon though. The market will dictate when.

Cimarron. :lol:

Really, as far as I'm concerned (and a few will agree with me), it stands for Catera.

Although.... There is another C-name in Cadillac's history...

215072[/snapback]

Cadillacs have also been sold under the names of Calais and Councours.

This SLS is Standard of the World good looking. When you look at the changes to the interior versus the NA STS they aren't huge. The dash still has the same basic layout, the gauge cluster still looks about the same, but every detail they changed was a big improvement. It looks less slabby, flabby and more techo lux. But still, it looks like all the wiring harneses and other parts under the skin would be much the same. Thus I hope they bring this change to the NA market soon

I've asked this question multiple times and never received an answer. I recall people posting several times that Sigma was stretched to its limits with the STS which is why DTS could not move to RWD and GM needed another platform for the ULS.

Let me put this issue to rest once and for all. Sigma can be stretched to a little over 200 inches according to the original specs for the architecture.

That interior is absolutely gorgeous!

So is this SLS powered by a 1.7 litre diesel five cylinder? :P

Newsflash to Cadillac: We need this car now! The current bland slab sided car we have now is ok for the BMW driver but many of us long for a dose of luxury to our Caddys. And that interior looks better than ours too. For the money Cadillac charges for this car you would have thought that they would have figured this out before hand!

Wow... That's nice...

The interior is excellent! We need the polished 18s STANDARD on EVERY car especially with the colored Cadillac logo. I've seen too many STS with the crappy, unappealing 17s.

We also need the LED red/amber tailights...

I'd LOVE for this to be the STS refresh! Eventhough it could use a little more exterior excitement (Apparently we've given up on drawing younger buyers as both the DTS and STS are geezer-like now in several ways)

First it was the really nice Buick being sold in China - and now the STS that should have been - China's SLS.. Has GM ever given any explanation as to why this is happening? Maybe it's payback for us Americans allowing the foreign brands to take over.. Like it was our fault in the first place...

Lucky Chinese, why does NA has to be left out from all the good GM cars?

216024[/snapback]

I doubt we will, and several insiders here say we're getting it.

Check out the pic I pulled off of the Chinese Cadillac Site:

Posted Image

Here are a few other pics that provide a close up to certain areas of interest:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And, I can only guess that there's ambient lighting on the doors similar to that in the Mercedes S-Class:

Posted Image

thats nice, I really like how they designed that console for the rear seat climate, clock, are those two speakers... and do I see Bose ?

I also really do like how the two side of the console wrap up into the vents. But in this photo that driver information and control center definantly looks to be pasted or blacked/tinted out.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been said on another blog that the special SLS interior consoles were a "must" for the Chinese market. They were required because there had to be more ashtrays and lighters, (similar to the older Cadillacs), as China is a nation of smokers (among the highest percentages of any nation). To even be considered by luxury car buyers in that market, the designers had to incorporate more ergonomic ashtrays and lighters into the luxurious environment. The designers have done well, and hopefully it will please the Chinese consumers. :AH-HA_wink:

I doubt we will, and several insiders here say we're getting it.

Check out the pic I pulled off of the Chinese Cadillac Site:

Posted Image

Here are a few other pics that provide a close up to certain areas of interest:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And, I can only guess that there's ambient lighting on the doors similar to that in the Mercedes S-Class:

Posted Image

218055[/snapback]

I can't find any of those photos on the Cadillac site for China where were they.

I can't find any of those photos on the Cadillac site for China where were they.

227513[/snapback]

http://www.cadillac.com.cn/cadi2006/gallery.asp?model=sls

The link opens to the SLS "exterior" photo gallery. Click on the 2nd tab from the left (just below the pic thumbnails) to load the "interior" photo gallery. :)

Ahh gotcha but how could you save them, there not like a JPEG. They have a funny format and I get some little option box... What is up with that.

227919[/snapback]

They are Macromedia FLASH and I don't think you can save that format!

You can always take a screen capture of the window and crop it.

-Alt-PrintScreen.

-Open your favorite image altering application.

-New document.

-Paste.

228098[/snapback]

THANK YOU! I LOVE THAT TRICK! WOW, NOW I CAN USE ANY PHOTO I WANT! I am so HAPPY! Seriously thanks a TON!