Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
99camaroSS

Mustang Cobra

9 posts in this topic

http://www.mph-online.com/web/spyphotos/0012

The ever widening chasm between efficient and practical hybrids and testosterone churning, gas slurping muscle cars has just gotten a little larger. These spied test versions of the Shelby Cobra GT500 look to blow the minds of horsepower addicts everywhere. Fans of black and white Cobras will rejoice with the near production ready cars shown here. The fact that there is 450 supercharged horsepower and 450 lb ft of torque below the twin vented hood is just the proof in the pudding.

ok so the new mustang cobra has 450 horsepower but they had to use a supercharger to get that thing up over 400 horses, the gto has 400 and its detuned. Is the mustang engine really that week? and imagine what it would be like if they threw a super on the gto (return of the judge edition mayb?)

http://www.mph-online.com/web/spyphotos/0012
ok so the new mustang cobra has 450 horsepower but they had to use a supercharger to get that thing up over 400 horses, the gto has 400 and its detuned. Is the mustang engine really that week? and imagine what it would be like if they threw a super on the gto (return of the judge edition mayb?)

[post="16750"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Its an OHC engine, yes its that weak.

OK, wasn't the last Cobra "a little" bit underrated? So what makes you think otherwise for this one, Ford has publically said that they are conservative on their advertised HP ratings. Once these hit the road, I wouldn't be surprised to see the pushing 500 corrected horses on a dynojet. Oh and by the way at least Ford still has a pony car! :P

I agree with possum, but a SC... weak.

Its an OHC engine, yes its that weak.

[post="16753"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes but only because they got busted. Was it not a few years ago that Ford said the Mustang Cobra was getting a certain amount of HP but when tested the numbers were way off and they had to retrofit the ones sold and cancelled the remaing Cobra production for that year? I do not remember the exact year, please fill in the details for me if anyone knows because I never did get the full story. Thanks.

P.S. I do love the front end on the Cobra and in the end 450 hp is still impressive. Edited by prinzSD

Supercharger = Weak??? I guess those 03-04 Cobras that will eat damn near anything on the road were weak then. I realize that this is a Chevy biased site, but come on when somebody makes and impressive vehicle at least give it its due credit. Horsepower and torque are horsepower and torque no matter how its made. Is a Evo any less impressive of a car because it is turbocharged? The logic that if a car has forced induction from the factory it must be to make up for something it lacks boggles me.

The worst part about the engine is that it is bigger and heavier than the LS7, but still doesnt make the same power even being supercharged. But I dont blame Ford, even the SC Northstar cant even keep up with the "old tech pushrod" LS7.

Yes but only because they got busted. Was it not a few years ago that Ford said the Mustang Cobra was getting a certain amount of HP but when tested the numbers were way off and they had to retrofit the ones sold and cancelled the remaing Cobra production for that year? I do not remember the exact year, please fill in the details for me if anyone knows because I never did get the full story. Thanks.

P.S. I do love the front end on the Cobra and in the end 450 hp is still impressive.

[post="24437"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That was way back in 1999. They recalled the Cobras for that year and cancelled the 2000 Cobras completely, but came back in '01 with one that had the right horsepower. Then it got blown in '03 and was underrated at 390 horsepower, just in time to dance on the graves of the F-Bodies.

That was way back in 1999.  They recalled the Cobras for that year and cancelled the 2000 Cobras completely, but came back in '01 with one that had the right horsepower.  Then it got blown in '03 and was underrated at 390 horsepower, just in time to dance on the graves of the F-Bodies.

[post="24889"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

How come no blown 05 4.6 ? I hear the blown headgaskets were eating into FoMoCo profits

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0