Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Cadillac to Unveil Stretched DTS-L at LAIAS

Flybrian

Cadillac to Unveil Stretched DTS

Posted Image

More from the upcoming Los Angeles Auto Show later this month: Cadillac will unveil a new stretched long-wheelbase version of the Cadillac DTS sedan and will name it DTS-L. The car will be in dealerships early next year and will have the same 4.6 liter V8 engine that will produce 294 horsepower. The Cadillac DTS-L will have an extra 8 inches of space with the company’s “VIP privacy” rear seating.

I'm ok with the -L suffix until the K body is gone...but after that, I'd really like to see Cadillac be different and give its cars real names.

BTW, Crimson Pearl is a beautiful color.

I don't get it.  That link goes to the old armored stretch Deville.  Are you saying this is the updated version?  I ask because the article said this would be available in dealerships, and I've never seen one of the armored cars in a dealership.

216756[/snapback]

I think he's saying take that and add the updates and there's your DTS-L, though that's probably what most people were envisioning anyways.

I think he's saying take that and add the updates and there's your DTS-L, though that's probably what most people were envisioning anyways.

216761[/snapback]

But wasn't the armored one actually based on a truck platform? This still sounds K-body to me...

I mean I have no problem envisioning what this will be based on the short description in the article...my father owns a DTS and I can easily imagine the stretch.

I have no specifics on the armored DTS, but Cadillac does build a commercial chassis again- saw it on TV last year: strengthened DTS with HD suspension, brakes and wheels.

DTS is a unibody, no? Putting the DTS FWD body on a independant RWD frame would not be an easy or inexpensive undertaking. 'Truck frame' sounds highly improbable (unless the armored DTS has frame rails hanging down below the rockers and giant tire-wheelwell gaps, then nevermind).

Yeah DeVille is a unibody car. I love the Crimson Pearl/Tintocoat paint (the Red Jewel that I never see just isn't special at all), and this asks: what's after this for Cadillac?

I have no specifics on the armored DTS, but Cadillac does build a commercial chassis again- saw it on TV last year: strengthened DTS with HD suspension, brakes and wheels.

DTS is a unibody, no? Putting the DTS FWD body on a independant RWD frame would not be an easy or inexpensive undertaking. 'Truck frame' sounds highly improbable (unless the armored DTS has frame rails hanging down below the rockers and giant tire-wheelwell gaps, then nevermind).

216830[/snapback]

Well the Presidential limo is on a truck chassis with a DTS shell...I'm not sure about the other armored vehicles, hence the question. Armoring a car is an expensive undertaking too.

My guess is the DTS-L is just a stretched DTS...

LAAAAAAAAME.

DIE FWD CADILLACS!!!

Just fu*king die already damnit. RWD is the future for

ANY & ALL luxury cars, w/ rear-biased AWD optional.

This is a good car, I doubt they plan on selling a large volumn but its an easy streach. These chaufer driven people dont care what wheels drive their car. Cadillac will alienate many of the Northern buyers by going to all RWD. People have their choice now and how do the numbers compare ?

Whats an "S class"..................... :lol:

If this is for general retail (the public) then it's interesting. It could be that GM is planning to push DTS upmarket for the next generation. Either that, or it's a response of some sort to the LWB Chrysler 300's.

So this is how Cadillac will push the DTS name upmarket... Hmmm...

If the DTS-L goes into the low $70's fully loaded, that would open it up for the next-gen RWD DTS to start at a much higher price point.

216553[/snapback]

i don't see that being the main reason. Lincoln has a L version, and the 300C will soon. This is just another way to capture more market share. And LONG overdue at that!

along with the CLS, 3-series, XJR........S-class is one of the most perfectly designed and exhilirating sedans on the road today.

It's not brand snobbery razor....the imports just get it right.

Edited by turbo200

Jesus people let it go... I'm sure Cadillac spent all of $3 R&D on the new DTS-L. It doesn't take too many dollars to decide to splice 6" of metal and glass into a car and sell it for whatever the buying public will pay. It's a no-brainer and Cadillac should be shamed for not doing it sooner. Don't lose any sleep over it.

As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Accubuilt, Inc. is doing the stretch for Cadillac just like they're doing the stretch for Chrysler's 300. They've been building hearses and limos for years now.

Edited by Cadavillac

I say bring China's SLS over here as the STS, V-ify it (would love to see that new interior V-ed), and I'd definitely take that.

217825[/snapback]

I'd rather see that as well, but I alsom remember evok posting he didn't know if the SLS could be built in Lansing. Perhaps the DTS-L is the answer to his doubts...

so what would look better, a hacked and stretched DTS or would a photochop actually look better (end product)?

maybe this is a way for Caddy to chintz out and not build the sixteen, but still have a flagship.

that's what the contorted michigan minds would think I bet.

I'm fine with a DTS-L. It just sounds like the ultimate cush-mobile. In ten years you can buy one used for $5000, and give it to your kid who's in High School. It'll be sweet because it has a nice engine, gobs and gobs of room, and is very comfortable. Just remember, comfort never goes out of style. That's why I prefer early '90's Buicks and Caprices to anything else early '90's: they are dang comfortable inside.