GS450h specs

toyoguy

POWERTRAIN

Displaying similar operational characteristics to the RX 400h’s Hybrid Synergy Drive®’ system, a completely new, front engine, rear-wheel drive Lexus hybrid powertrain has been engineered for the GS 450h.
It features an ultra smooth running, 3.5 litre D-4S direct injection V6 petrol engine generating over 210kW/286 DIN hp mated to a high-output, permanent magnet electric motor developing over 140kW/190 DIN hp, driving the rear wheels both independently and in tandem, as appropriate. The system produces a total power output of more than 250kW / 340 DIN hp.

The petrol engine combines a new D-4S fuel injection system with high strength chain drive and roller rockers, and high torsional stiffness connecting rods. New, double slit, fan-shaped spray injectors optimise the fuel/air gas mixture formation for maximum combustion efficiency, generating higher rpm and power output with minimal emissions. The new D-4S system’s combination of direct and port injection realises optimum engine efficiency throughout the power band. Direct injection improves fullpower engine performance, whilst both low-power engine fuel economy and emissions reduction are enhanced through the coalition of direct and port injection systems.

In addition to the petrol engine, the new GS 450h Hybrid Synergy Drive® system comprises a power control unit, a high performance nickel-metal hydride battery and a power transmission unit.
The power transmission unit consists of an electric motor,a generator, a power split device and motor-speed reduction gears. Via planetary reduction gears, the power split device combines and re-allocates power from the engine, electric motor and generator according to operational requirements. As in the RX 400h, these system components are all housed in one lightweight, highly compact transmission casing.

Unique to the GS 450h, however, the new hybrid transmission system now incorporates two-stage motor speed reduction gearing. Through the new luxury sedan’s seamless, continuously variable automatic transmission, the twin stage gearing generates maximum low-gear torque for significantly enhanced acceleration, as well as extended high-gear performance for quiet, high speed cruising with improved fuel efficiency in almost all driving conditions.

PERFORMANCE

The new powertrain equips the Lexus luxury hybrid sedan with performance characteristics on a par with conventional 4.5 litre V8 engined models. Combined power output is over 250kW / 340 DIN hp, and the new GS 450h will accelerate seamlessly from 0-100kph in less than 6.0 seconds, the Lexus hybrid transmission system eradicating the expected ‘jumps’ between gears of a conventional drive-train.

Equally impressive is the potent mid-range torque afforded by the system’s powerful electric motor. Operating in tandem with the V6 petrol engine, it is capable of delivering maximum torque instantaneously, and seamlessly, upon demand. This characteristic is most beneficial in mid-range acceleration during overtaking manoeuvres, and the Lexus GS 450h will accelerate from 80 to 120kph in under 5 seconds.

Conversely, the GS 450h also proves substantially more frugal than comparable sports sedans, returning combined fuel economy figures on a par with those of a 4-cylinder 2.0 litre engined vehicle. Moreover, already compliant with EURO IV emissions standards and rated SULEV (Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle) in the USA, the new Lexus returns CO2 emissions of under 195g/km; markedly less than rival, premium sector sedans with similar engine power.

GS450h
Posted Image

RX400h
Posted Image

Edited by toyoguy

dont really think that is a gap, btw
http://www.km77.com/marcas/lexus/2006/gs/450h/gra/32.jpg

[post="17647"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's not, but since the car in question is a Lexus, Members here feel obligated to make foolish, half-witted comments. The latest idiotic remark was right on cue.

You may mock all you want, but that's what buyers look for these days...

lexus buyers look for signs of crappy assembly quality??? And how is pointing out design deficiencies "mocking"?

dont really think that is a gap, btw

It's a gap, BTW, and a huge one, right in a close-up factory publicity shot. Oops.

Any gap due to photography angle (quite minor here) would be located at the farthest point from the viewer's eye since the gauge face is mounted below the circular edge of the housing.

In this pic, such would be centered where the "150" marking is (look at the dimensionality of black hub of the needle), but that isn't the case here. The only other option is shoddy assembly work.

Regardless, if viewing the gauge from anything other than dead straight on is likely (as in the case of a gauge in a car), at least add another 1/8" inch of gauge face so a big black gap isn't blatantly obvious. It looks like sh!t.

Get a cup, place something circular in the middle, take a photograph of it from an angle, and try not to show a "gap"...

[post="17675"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It is a gap. You can clearly see the edge ring of the dial face and you can clearly see the edge of the gauge tunnel.

edit: additionally, there is nothing there to create a shadow as the camera is below the centerline of the gauge. If we were going to see a shadow in this picture, it would be at the bottom of the gauge not the top. Edited by Oldsmoboi

Toyoguy: Go grab your binky and stop whining. Were we talking about resale? NO Why can't you Toyo/Lex/Hon/Acura fans ever stick to the point. As soon as one fo your favorite vehicles starts to show serious flaws it's back to the resale value again... so relevant in this case. :rolleyes:

STS
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/V8-3866-MIL...1QQcmdZViewItem

06 GS
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus-GS-20...bayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus-GS-30...sspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus-GS-GS...sspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus-GS-BU...sspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus-GS-SA...576870548QQrdZ1

quick scan through ebay reveals all sorts of quality issues on the 06 GS :rolleyes:

06 GS resale is still excellent, 05STS resale is poor, more like pathetic.  I wonder what geriatric fool paid full price on one.

[post="17786"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Uh, you're compairing one STS that didn't sell with 3 GSes that didn't sell + 1 GS that sold close to retail because it has 3k miles on it.

Just because 50k plus is what they are asking for the car doesn't mean that's what they'll get.

hmmm, my pt was that the 06 GS build quality is high
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

but the STS w/its cheap plastics, overall design and build quality, exterior paint finish isn't.
funny how GM fans will quickly point out other brand's shortcomings specifically on Toyota vehicles, but simply ignore when their own is such woefully inadequate vehicle.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I honestly do not see a discrepancy in QUALITY between the STS and GS photos. Am I blind? Does the slightly wide gap at the bottom of the trunk on the STS bother you? or the STS No* emblem? What relevance does that pic have when I do not see a trunk pic of the GS and I do not see a pic of the front of the STS. It's an apples to oranges comparison.

Satty:

"Why not prove your point by posting pics of the Camaro and classic GMs?"

WTF are you talking about? I post pics of GM classics to prove a point about GM classics... we're talking abotu a NEW Cadillac vs. a new Lexus. Do my p[osts of classic cars to prove a point about styling or tradition bother you? :unsure: Edited by Sixty8panther

Most of the time we have pics of Camaros and various other classics in threads that have nothing to do with Camaros and other classics. You say import fans should stay on the topic at hand, yet you often go off on these pic rampages that have little if anything to do with what everyone else is talking about. Edited by Satty

What's the problem with the STS steering wheel? That it locked off perfect center? Well, any Lexus would do that too if the owner turned the car off with the wheel off center...derr! And before anyone jumps down my throat, I agree that the STS interior is subpar.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gmrebirth

The GS450h shown here is a preproduction model. I expect preprodcution models to have flaws in it.

[post="17812"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Agreed. I find it very funny how people here have caused such a ruckus about a preproduction photo of the gauges taken at an angle.

If any of you find this flaw in a *production* GS450h, then I will wholeheartedly agree.

But looking for flaws in a preproduction vehicle is not very credible in my books.

It reminds me of how people made a huge fuss over preproduction Avalon pics, which they *assumed* were production.

As much as I hate to admit it, the interior of the STS is NOTHING compared to that of the GS. The design in the GS is better, the materials look better, there is less plastic filled space in the GS, the gauges look WORLDS better. The interior of the STS doesn't compare to that of an Acura TL in observable quality and design, either. The interior in the god damn Sky and Aura look better than the interiors in $30k and $40k LUXURY sedans. The STS was set in stone before the new GM came to pass. The difference in a 2005 STS and a 2007 Tahoe interior is so amazing, if I were GM I'd be ashamed to sell the STS for a higher price. The difference in a current Escalade and the upcoming 2007 model and current competitor's luxury utes is freaking SHAMEFUL. You can brag about GMs powertrains, their reliability, their looks, and their upcoming models. But please, don't try and gloss over the fact that the STS interior looks worse than interiors in cars half its price. Hopefully that'll shut everyone up.

Guest gmrebirth

The pic could've been fixed in PhotoShop in 3 minutes. Why wasn't it?

[post="23947"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Again, how do you know it really is an actual flaw?

Unless you've personally sat in a preproduction GS450h, and can provide multiple pics to prove your theory, I'm not completely convinced.

Again, how do you know it really is an actual flaw?

Because I have eyes. It's a fat gap and I can see it. Was there something else?

Unless you've personally sat in a preproduction GS450h, and can provide multiple pics to prove your theory, I'm not completely convinced.

It's no theory- it's reality. Can't you see it? Multiple pics?? Of the same 3" gauge? For what purpose- to hopefully catch an angle where the gap doesn't show? "Not convinced"? This is ridiculous. I can allow shoddy design & assembly work on a preproduction car- that's understandable to a degree. But the fact that this picture was released by toyota sure doesn't instill much faith in their quality control to the non-loyalists.

Guest gmrebirth

It's no theory- it's reality. Can't you see it? Multiple pics?? Of the same 3" gauge? For what purpose- to hopefully catch an angle where the gap doesn't show? "Not convinced"? This is ridiculous. I can allow shoddy design & assembly work on a preproduction car- that's understandable to a degree. But the fact that this picture was released by toyota sure doesn't instill much faith in their quality control to the non-loyalists.

[post="24026"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Fair enough.

You have your opinions, and I have mine.

See, the interesting thing is that when you have a strong opinion on something, or when you are determined that your opinion is correct, nothing will change your views on that subject.

Similarly, to those people who doubt the quality of Lexus vehicles, nothing will change their opinion.

I mean if the fact that Lexus ranks at the top of virtually every quality survey out there doesn't instill any faith in "non loyalists", I seriously don't know what will.

balthazar, What's so difficult to understand? It's a pre-production model that may or may not be flawed in regards to quality. It happens. You're wasting your time by continuing to argue. The fact is, I've sat in both. If you think the STS would get my hard-earned money based on interior quality, your out of your mind. I'm sure you've never even sat inside a Lexus let alone a GS, so your constant bashing holds little (if any) relevance at this point. I understand it's much easier to bash everything produced outside of GM. But until you become more objective in your posts regarding other brands, is there really a point in continuing to post in this section?

balthazar,

What's so difficult to understand?  It's a pre-production model that may or may not be flawed in regards to quality.  It happens.

[post="24508"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The point (which is valid) is that these aren't photos taken by TCC or FamilyCar.com; these are official Toyota releases and therefore should display perfection instead of any flaw. Again, if its a pre-pro flaw, fine, but God, why show pics of the flaw to everyone?

The point (which is valid) is that these aren't photos taken by TCC or FamilyCar.com; these are official Toyota releases and therefore should display perfection instead of any flaw. Again, if its a pre-pro flaw, fine, but God, why show pics of the flaw to everyone?

[post="24514"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Nail, meet head.

But until you become more objective in your posts regarding other brands, is there really a point in continuing to post in this section?

Absolutely.
Last post:
You have your terms confused.
Objective: There is a noticable flaw, I pointed it out.
Subjective: There is a noticable flaw, you say it 'may or may not be flawed'.