'06 Lacrosse improvements

buickguy

No Navigation to my knowledge. but as for improvements, the 2006 LaCrosse now has the following features standard on CX,CXL, & CXS trim levels:
  • 4yr/50k mile bumper to bumper warranty with Road Side Assistance
  • OnStar equipped with 1 Year subscription
  • Side Head curtain Airbags for front and back seats
  • Antilock Brakes
  • Traction control
Not sure of anything else that's become standard or available for the 2006MY.

Yep, pretty much what he said--here's the full list from the ordering guide:
Deletions
Exterior color (12U) Sterling Silver Metallic
Exterior color (15U) Cashmere Metallic
Exterior color (88U) Steelmist Metallic

New Features
Exterior Color (46U) Slatestone Metallic
Exterior Color (53U) Sandstone Metallic
Exterior Color (67U) Platinum Metallic

Changes
(AY1) Air bags, side head curtain are now standard on all models
(AK5) Air bags, frontal now require a fleet or government type order
(PEB) Silver Convenience Package, is now (PDD) Comfort and Convenience Package
(PEC) Gold Convenience Package is now (PCI) Driver Confidence Package
(JL9) Brakes, 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc and Traction control, Enhanced Traction System are Standard on CX and CXL

The only cosmetic changes they made is they changed the speedometer to 140 (no idea why) 

[post="20848"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The same speedometer is used for Miles & Kilometers (a button on the dash switches the measurements between the two). 140 is more appropriate for kilometers (140 km = 87 mph). Why they had 120 to begin with is beyond me.

The only cosmetic changes they made is they changed the speedometer to 140 (no idea why) put the GM badge on the fender and got rid of that ugly onstar antenna and moved it to the rear of the roof. I also noticed a couple of CXL's we've had has leather shift knobs instead of the wood.

[post="20848"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

From what I read like a month ago, all 2006's were going to get the leather shift knobs instead of the wood.

The same speedometer is used for Miles & Kilometers (a button on the dash switches the measurements between the two). 140 is more appropriate for kilometers (140 km = 87 mph). Why they had 120 to begin with is beyond me.

[post="20879"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

140? Wow, you would think that since they updated their website today, they would also have 2006 pictures... the speedometers in the pics say 120mph!

Why does a $2000 waste of money Nav system need to be offered on an entry level Buick? Save that for the 40K and up luxury cars that have drivers that can afford to piss away money like it was growing on trees.

[post="21735"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Because some people, such as myself, would like NAV and would consider it far from a waste of money as I am someone who loves to travel via car.

It is also there to compete with other cars. Hell, if the Accord, Altima, Camry, and a freaking Civic or Mazda3 can offer it, I would think a larger, more expensive "premium" sedan should offer it.

I say put it in because people buy it. I see no need for it. I like getting lost - its how you explore and find new things.

[post="21749"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

See, I don't like getting lost.

And the thought of just one day, driving west... just going nowhere in particular, staying in hotels on my travels, yet always being able to find your way back.. just sounds like fun.

Help me. I like to travel. My vehicle does not have this "NAV" system. I cannot drive very far or I am sure I will get lost. I tend to stay within a 50 mile radius of my home. Maps are for people too dumb to buy the "NAV" system, which is not me (the next time I mean). Should I sell my vehicle today and buy one that does have "NAV"?

Because some people, such as myself, would like NAV and would consider it far from a waste of money as I am someone who loves to travel via car.

It is also there to compete with other cars.  Hell, if the Accord, Altima, Camry, and a freaking Civic or Mazda3 can offer it, I would think a larger, more expensive "premium" sedan should offer it.

[post="21736"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

^ Agreed. Though I'd never option for a navi, I think it should be there for those who want it. I'm a pro at using maps, so a navi is lost on me. But if one is offered in "lesser" cars, Buick should see fit to put it in the Lacrosse.

Help me.
I like to travel.
My vehicle does not have this "NAV" system.
I cannot drive very far or I am sure I will get lost.
I tend to stay within a 50 mile radius of my home.
Maps are for people too dumb to buy the "NAV" system, which is not me (the next time I mean).
Should I sell my vehicle today and buy one that does have "NAV"?

[post="21812"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes you must have NAV

DO you realize that after a few decades of NAV people will no longer know the shape of the states, have any natural instinct as to N,W,E or S

I never get lost because I can look at a map and get the visual of what Im doing before I leave. Realation ship to towns or through them, ect.

From what I read like a month ago, all 2006's were going to get the leather shift knobs instead of the wood.
140?  Wow, you would think that since they updated their website today, they would also have 2006 pictures... the speedometers in the pics say 120mph!

[post="21065"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm driving a 2006 CXL and the shifter on it's wood and I know we have a CXS that's wood.

I'm driving a 2006 CXL and the shifter on it's wood and I know we have a CXS that's wood.

[post="22133"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's good to hear because I liked the wood knob. Albeit fake, I think it's a classy touch.

I think the 140 speedo was a mid 2005 change. The car my dad bought this summer (on July 1st) was built in 6/05, and has the 140 speedo. I did a double take when I first saw it, because up to that point I had been accustomed to seeing them with the 120 speedo. Below is a picture of the gauges in my Dad's car.
Posted Image

[post="22222"][/post]

Interesting... that's a CX, no?

Paulie, you are correct it is a CX model. You are very observant. The fact that it doesn't have a D.I.C gives it away in that pic.

[post="22242"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Thanks... it's rare I pick up on these things! lol

Is the back plate behind the gauges metallic? It looks reflective but I can't figure out if that's the flash reflecting off the chrome rings around the gauges?

Hey, GM1, could you take some pics of the interior of the CX? I would like to see what the cloth looks like, and the car as a whole as I'd probably either get a CX with an option package or the base CXL.

... The Lacrosse's interior looks so spartan to me. I don't really like the design, and it doesn't look as rich as it should be, IMHO. I look at the ES, and I think, "The Lacrosse should be more like that." Maybe not so much the design, but the look of the materials, layout, etc. Just me...

... The Lacrosse's interior looks so spartan to me.  I don't really like the design, and it doesn't look as rich as it should be, IMHO.  I look at the ES, and I think, "The Lacrosse should be more like that."  Maybe not so much the design, but the look of the materials, layout, etc.  Just me...

[post="22424"][/post]

You want richer? I got your richer right here!

Posted Image

You want richer? I got your richer right here!

Posted Image

[post="22429"][/post]

Not bad, and quite an improvement around the center stack, but I'll never understand why people think adding stick-on wood pieces to areas like the door pull surrounds or a strip around the vent in that pic looks good.

Center stack--VERY good, and much better than the strange black
Added "extra" pieces--stupid. If the part doesn't naturally seem like something that could have or would have been molded out of wood, fake or real, in the first place, you shouldn't go sticking it on.

Actually, some silver pieces in addition to the wood, like used in the ES's interior (seen above), would look even better, IMHO, and not give "wood overload". Edited by caddycruiser

Not bad, and quite an improvement around the center stack, but I'll never understand why people think adding stick-on wood pieces to areas like the door pull surrounds or a strip around the vent in that pic looks good.

Center stack--VERY good, and much better than the strange black
Added "extra" pieces--stupid.  If the part doesn't naturally seem like something that could have or would have been molded out of wood, fake or real, in the first place, you shouldn't go sticking it on.

Actually, some silver pieces in addition to the wood, like used in the ES's interior (seen above), would look even better, IMHO, and not give "wood overload".

[post="22434"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Exactly. But you've got to admit, that center stack needs something done STAT. That mass of black, cheap plastic is an eyesore. Note the contouring on the pieces in the Lexus. It just looks sharp. The contrasting aluminum is getting cliche, but something needs to play Moses and part that sea of plastic.

Tony

Well, I'm not a fan of the center stack. I would like to see it with a non-black surface, or even a piano black finish. Also, I think the buttons should be larger for the stereo and more spread out/less chaotic for the climate controls.

GM1, thanks for the pics. They really help me decide that I definitely want the CXL lol I'm not a bench fan, and the cloth really does lower the classiness of the interior.

Well, I'm not a fan of the center stack.  I would like to see it with a non-black surface, or even a piano black finish.  Also, I think the buttons should be larger for the stereo and more spread out/less chaotic for the climate controls.

[post="22490"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

True--only problem I see, with the newly expanded use of "piano black" trim is how it acts just like black paint on the outside of a car: keep it spotless and untouched and it looks amazing, but touch it once or twice (like you would to change the radio or A/C) and it gets fingerprinted up like hell, no to mention scratchy looking.

Also strange is how, now that Toyota used the extremely glossy black finish around the center stack on some Sienna models for two years, the number of complaints over how fingerprinted and easily marked up it gets has led them to ditch it for '06, silver painted areas now taking over.

Lacrosse specific though, the buttons are all too small and clustered in a way unlike any other GM car I've seen, which seemed really weird at first, and is definately not a good thing. The first Lacrosse I sat in already had the darkest, Black/Ebony interior and even then, somehow, the center stack piece stuck out like a sore thumb to me. Not to mention the fact that I was NOT impressed at all by ANY of the interior materials, save for maybe the leather--solidly assembled, but even the Grand Prix's interior had a nicer design and materials that felt markedly better. Couldn't pinpoint it exactly, but something said "incomplete" all over the Lacrosse--certain details feel like they're still under development.

The root cause of the problems with the Lacrosse's insides are too hard and "basic" looking and feeling materials, and just a major lack of overall "zing" like you get from even the gloss of the wood in the ES, slightly more expensive vehicle or not. Actually, I think even just updating the center area with one of the new GM stereo systems and a better climate control panel, both with some chrome bits and bigger buttons, would improve things. Edited by caddycruiser

See, I don't like getting lost.

And the thought of just one day, driving west... just going nowhere in particular, staying in hotels on my travels, yet always being able to find your way back.. just sounds like fun.

[post="21756"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Travelling west and knowing where you are is easy...the 10 goes from Santa Monica to Jacksonville, FL B)

Actually, I think even just updating the center area with one of the new GM stereo systems and a better climate control panel, both with some chrome bits and bigger buttons, would improve things.

[post="22573"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Right you are... although unfortunately we're probably going to have to wait for a 2008 refresh before we'll see the newer GM stereo. I am surprised they didn't use the climate control panel they use for the caddies--I mean, the hot/cold/power is essentially one piece (hot/cold one piece with a power button in the middle)... something simple like that already makes the area seem less chaotic--combining 3 buttons into 1.

So how about that "cloth" ? :blink:
I think dash and all has nice contrast as it is, perhaps more "stainless" look would be OK but I like all that. The door panels are extremely plastic but welcome to modern car design. I spent a few days in a mid 90's Taurus recently, the interior looked sharp but was all solid plastic panels, my arms were sore from the arm rests. This plastic thing has to pass, they are putting no work into the door panels what so ever, just a one piece plastic crap.

Heres what was going on in the 80's, theres a glimps of part of the typical multi padded and materialed door panels - have we gone forward or backwards ?
Top of the line Oldsmobile 98 Touring Sedan 87-90
Posted Image
Posted Image

So how about that "cloth" ?  :blink:
I think dash and all has nice contrast as it is, perhaps more "stainless" look would be OK but I like all that. The door panels are extremely plastic but welcome to modern car design. I spent a few days in a mid 90's Taurus recently, the interior looked sharp but was all solid plastic panels, my arms were sore from the arm rests. This plastic thing has to pass, they are putting no work into the door panels what so ever, just a one piece plastic crap.

Heres what was going on in the 80's, theres a glimps of part of the typical multi padded and materialed door panels - have we gone forward or backwards ?
Top of the line Oldsmobile 98 Touring Sedan 87-90
Posted Image
Posted Image

[post="22677"][/post]

oooohhhhh man! I sat in one of these the other day (got a drive somewhere in it)

The interior was sooo damn nice! Real wood! cloth padding everywhere! oh man! It was so comforatable!

Although the Lucerne's interior is wonderful, it's still nothing compared to what interiors used to be. One has to think that things were simplified just because past interiors almost had a sense of being too "chaotic" in their designs and implementation. Now is it that? Or is it the cost? One has to wonder. The LaCrosse could seriously use a bit of interior tweak. Obviously everyone knows my stand on real wood. Use that instead of the plastic super-shiny junk, and maybe a few other types of materials on the interior, and we're talking a nicer/classier interior. However, styling is conservative. There need be some more pizzazz.

My major problem is that the LaCrosse's center stack is too 'fat'. Its so wide yet so spartan. At the very least dress it up with nice trim, but better yet, narrow it to a reasonable width.

[post="23049"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes, if they are not going to narrow it (which would be nice because it creates more room for knees and such), they should really increase the size of the buttons. There is no reason they couldn't figure out a way to make the radio controls and/or climate controls bigger.

I like it because it is different as it is. The door panels are slackers, the dashpad itself could use some more character. Hpw about a flat top so I could throw my maps, cigs, lighter, coffee cups, pens, and everything else imagineable up there. LOL. i do miss flat top dashes. I quit smoking 6 years ago. Its the door panels and lack of color choises as well as stupid "cloth" that really bugs me. Its all manufacturers. Tan* grey black tan grey black tan grey black tan grey black tan grey black tan gray black tan gray black, yada yada yada. * PC word for piss yellow or baby shit brown

Meh, I could write a novel on what's wrong with the LaCrosse's interior. The steering wheel is too ugly, too large, and too thin. The dials are too generic, particularly the font. The wood is too one-dimensional and cheesy. The A/C vents look dated; you can't "adjust" them without moving the whole unit around. The front headrests are too back. The front seats are too square. The headlamp controls look 15 years old. The door panels don't have leather or cloth inserts of any kind. The gear selector surround looks dated. The HVAC and radio controls look dated. The instrument cluster doesn't flow. The flat strip of chrome doesn't do anything visually. But worst of all is that there's absolutely no thought or style put into the interior. It's so incredibly bland that I'd much prefer the GM cheesiness of the 1990's. Now it's just a vast expanse of dreary gray and flat surfaces. The door handle is there solely to open the door. Whatever happened to boldness and creativity?

Meh, I could write a novel on what's wrong with the LaCrosse's interior. The steering wheel is too ugly, too large, and too thin. The dials are too generic, particularly the font. The wood is too one-dimensional and cheesy. The A/C vents look dated; you can't "adjust" them without moving the whole unit around. The front headrests are too back. The front seats are too square. The headlamp controls look 15 years old. The door panels don't have leather or cloth inserts of any kind. The gear selector surround looks dated. The HVAC and radio controls look dated. The instrument cluster doesn't flow. The flat strip of chrome doesn't do anything visually. 

But worst of all is that there's absolutely no thought or style put into the interior. It's so incredibly bland that I'd much prefer the GM cheesiness of the 1990's. Now it's just a vast expanse of dreary gray and flat surfaces. The door handle is there solely to open the door. Whatever happened to boldness and creativity?

[post="23173"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Would have been easier to say "its not a Honda " :lol: or you could have been more exacting like "its not a cheezy 90's Honda" :lol:

Eh... empowah, you're just being a tad bit TOO critical of the LaCrosse. I know you're aware that most of the things mentioned were just opinions (such as the areas that look "dated" and the seat comfort), but the Jaguar steering wheel is even less attractive than the one in the LaCrosse. The Jag's buttons are just as small as the LaCrosse's and the door handle on the X-Type is also just a door handle. The tragedy in this is that the X-Type gets away with the same flaws and is about $10k more than the LaCrosse.

Here's what I mean by the instrument cluster... it doesn't look finished:

Posted Image

Here's a X-Type, not a rich interior by any means, but notice how much more "finished" the cluster looks.

Posted Image

[post="23176"][/post]

THIS is EXACTLY what the LaCrosse should have looked like! Agree with you on everything. I never thought the LaCrosse interior looked good in pictures and after sitting in it, I like it even less. The whole thing is so cheap looking, and not only that, but cheesy as well. That Jag was clearly the inspiration, but the LaCrosse, as per the GM usual, falls very short.

Nice point on the guages...I always had something against them but couldn't articulate it well. I agree with your assessment 100%

THIS is EXACTLY what the LaCrosse should have looked like!  Agree with you on everything.

[post="23222"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Remember the X-Type is even more expensive than the Lucerne... It would be better to compare those interiors. I think the Lucerne beats the X-Type in almost every regard.

For the price of the LaCrosse, you get a lot more than people give it credit for.

So, it's rough. For the love of it, I can't understand why a premium sedan wouldn't have more exciting gauges. Gauges are my thing. Back in the early 90's, I was really "wowed" by the high-end Lexus gauges because they were so bright, crisp, and classy. Other manufacturers have followed suit, and if you compare the Accords or Camry's gauges, you'll see what I mean. High contrast, large, well illuminated. God, even a Corolla has nicer gauges than the LaCrosse. The Lucerne is an attempt to have a tiny bit of style added, but why not do something to stand out, for example, have brightly lit LED gauges. Select a color-they seem to be using blue--go with that. Bright blue gauges... with either brilliant white or bloody red needles. A little spark. As for the wood, well, although a VAST improvement over the Regal and Century the LaCrosse replaces, it should have been wood, real wood, because we're entering entry-lux, premium territory. I think the quality of the interior is nice, just not the implementation. Yes, the dash is, well, BORING. And yes, the climate controls/radio controls should have been updated BIGTIME. The center stack, well, YAWN. The shifter... why not like the Lucerne? What is it called, gated? ABSOLUTELY put leather or cloth on the doors. My 1992 Century has cloth on the doors and I think it's a nice, soft, warm and inviting touch to the car. Other cars have leather on the doors--very warm, classy and elegant. I would love to see a 2007 update for the LaCrosse--give it a Lucerne grille, tweak the rear taillamps, make the "chrome appearance package" standard. Real wood on the interior. Rid us of that AWEFUL radio in place of the new one in the Lucerne. Drop the 3800 and give us the 2.8L DOHC base, 3.6 @ 240hp for CXL, and 3.6 @ 260hp for the CXS. All mated to a 6A. Also, dump the wheelcovers. Alloys all around.