• 4 - Pretty great! But...
    • 3 - Average, not a stand out
    • 2 - Okay. I guess
    • 1 - Puke-o-rama

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it shares some parts with the Aura. It is still different, which is more than can be said about GM cars of the past where it simply would have been a COMPLETE rip off with a different badge on the steering wheel. The design is different -- it looks more complete and more integrated, flowing.

WHY DOES GM HATE GATED SHIFTERS SO MUCH?

Edited by bcs296

This looks really nice. I agree on offering real nav, it is a necessity. I am really starting to have some hope, and cannot wait to see the exterior at Detroit.

And yeah, the G6 interior is officially ass-tastic.

218296[/snapback]

Just as it was 3 years ago.

Guest YellowJacket894

What's up with this cutline in the dash right above the vents in the center stack? Is there a compartment hiding under there?

I suspect nav might be an option for the Malibu in the near future. Of course, that's where the nav screen would pop-up.

As of now, I think it may just be a storage compartment.

Very chic. Makes the Camry look like :butthead: .

:yes:

First of all, love the interior--but I already see a gripe:

Single Zone automatic climate control when the competition (Altima, Camry, Accord) offer dual zone.

218385[/snapback]

we have no idea what trim this is, and base & midlevel don't offer dual zone either.

GATED SHIFTER? please daaated!

We don't really know this until we see a spec sheet.

218391[/snapback]

True, true, but going by the fact that the current has single zone, the image shows single zone, and the Aura, which is supposed to be above the Malibu, has single zone.

I rated the interior a 5. I think it's phenomenal... I'm just concerned something is going to happen and they're going to cheapen out on something.... the plastics will be hard... something won't be available at launch... there won't be Nav offered because GM still needs to obsess over their On* and make it the only thing in anything but entry lux and luxury vehicles, even though you can get Nav in a Civic, Mazda3, NG Corolla, Prius, etc.

Compare:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'd say the 2008 Malibu is extremely competitive, with only the Jetta, Passat and Camry truly competing with it. The Accord comes close, thus rounding out the top 5 IMO.

I feel really bad for Hyundai. And Pontiac.

Ford's doesn't look so hot in comparison, either. Mazda's clearly getting dated, but isn't it the oldest model represented, too?

Edited by Croc

Still love the Accord interior.

The Hyundai interior is just God awful. The G6 interior, well, it's still disappointing me even though I've seen it for a couple of years now.

The funny thing is... the Hyundai interior makes the G6 look better by comparison :blink:

The Malibu's interior does look to be on par with the VW's, and slightly better than Honda's.

However, I think we all know GM took direct aim at beating out the Camry's, and that's what mattered most. The Camry's looks dopey and dollar-store'ish compared to the Malibu's.

Bluetooth integration should be a must for GM by now. For God's sake, the Nintendo Wii's controller uses Bluetooth! How hard can it be to implement?

Edited by Captainbooyah

someone break embargo?

218283[/snapback]

media.gm had it today. here

looks good, in comparison i thought the accord was closest up to the bu's ... to deal with things like glare on the dash and basic looks

everyone thinking the same powertrains as the aura?

The Camry's looks dopey and dollar-store'ish compared to the Malibu's.

218412[/snapback]

No, it does not. It might look conservative, "puffy" (my personal opinion), staid, evocative of the OXO GoodGrips line of arthritis-friendly kitchen tools (another personal opinion), etc...but there's no way in hell it looks "dollar-store" cheap (shower-radio display, maybe...but not the entire interior). That would be bias. Edited by Croc

I will vote

1. Malibu

2. Accord

3. Passat

4. Fusion

5. Altima

6. Crapry

7. Mazda

8. G-6

9. Hyundai

As my pecking order.

Crap-ry has too much of fake metal going on feels like a dashboard of a locomotive. God Hyunai feels like a W-body of the late 90's. G-6 seems to need a Mid cycle refresh.

Actually you are right Mazda is the old dog, Accord and the 6 were released within a couple of months of eachother in 2003

Edited by 79VetteZ06

I'm so glad two-tone COLOR interiors are coming back. Way too much Black and beige in today's world of sedans. GM did a smart thing by going with this style as it DOES help differentiate it from the norm. By the way, that is damn unbelievable for a Malibu interior. Looks like it belongs in something European with those specific colors.

It's already a better cohesive design than the Aura's and I'm glad Chevy may have a very competitive sedan again. Can't wait for the new Malibu to be revealed, I may just consider buying one(didn't think I'd ever shop the Malibu ever after the current gen's grey junk interior).

+1 styling point for the shift boot. I love the move to shift boots for autos, makes the car seem a little more upscale.

Edited by big blue

GM needs to worry about offering bluetooth cell phone integration before worrying about offering NAV.

Can't wait to see the interior and exterior in January.

218408[/snapback]

Amen. I want bluetooth in my next car, and so many GM vehicles don't offer it, I would consider going outside the company.

Amen.  I want bluetooth in my next car, and so many GM vehicles don't offer it, I would consider going outside the company.

218420[/snapback]

It is about time GM offers it. Like how they made the I-pod Integration standard, they should also make Bluetooth standard. Heck it should not cost more than $50 bucks.

the Hyundai is a mess

The Mazda, Ford, and Accord all look dated already

The Nissan and G6 look too close for comfort, and they remind me of the final generation Grand Am.

The Camry is just ok, fairly bland and non-descript

The Passat looks like a watered down Lucerne

The Jetta is ok, but I'd like to see it in another color.

Where's the Aura?

I don't really see what everyone is raving about.

Aside from the swoopy upper-dash this thing is all Aura. It has identical door panels, the same corporate steering wheel, even the same clunky shift knob. Sure the largely unchanged center stack looks high quality, but I seem to remember a "99% production" Aura interior outfitted in the same attractive metallic trim. Look how that turned out.

Remember, that's a five-year-old Accord interior you're looking at. The Malibu won't be here until MY '08. I'd love to get all excited like we did when concept Aura interior images surfaced, but I think we all know better than that now. It's nice, but I'm not sure it's the showstopper we've been anticipating.

Guest YellowJacket894

2008 Malibu

Posted Image

vs.

2007 Aura

Posted Image

I'm not seeing that many shared parts here, guys. Save for the door handle inserts, the steering wheel (which has it's own unique rim), the radio (which has a silver cover), and the HVAC unit (which also has a silver color), and the shift handle (which has a leather base cover), there's not many shared parts here.

Edited by YellowJacket894

2008 Malibu

I'm not seeing that many shared parts here, guys.

218432[/snapback]

other than the radio and hv/ac and steering wheel... i totally agree

as far as the voting goes i'd give it a 4.5.... too bad it's not on there.... so i'll have to round up...

Edited by loki

Looks pretty good. Though it may look similar to the Aura interior at first, lining up the two photos really shows that GM did a decent job differentiating them. Sure, they share a lot with eachother, but this is GM. You're not going to see too much of a difference with so many brands.

Not surprised with the radio and it looks alright here.

I'd love to get all excited like we did when concept Aura interior images surfaced, but I think we all know better than that now.  It's nice, but I'm not sure it's the showstopper we've been anticipating.

218425[/snapback]

This is not a concept though.

Where's the Aura?

218422[/snapback]

Not included for the same reason the 9-3 wasn't included: higher price point/different drivers.

The G6 and Malibu go after the same demographic.

Ah, but why were the VWs there? Well the Jetta fits into the price point, and the Passat was there for comparison of how well the Malibu stacks up against premium competition.

Not seeing what you're seeing Bimmer:

Aura:

Posted Image

Malibu:

Posted Image

218428[/snapback]

wow way to ruin a mostly positive feeling and help me point out some of the things that keep popping up that I just don't like.

(1) door panels- why can't GM learn to break up the monotony with a nice leather insert, something to break up the mostly flat look except for at the top.

(2) the armrests- they truly do look unsubstantial.

(3) corporate switchgear/parts- this is more of a nitpick because I think what is present looks very good, but I do wish GM would give standard radios for the brands, take up the same amount of space but use different heads..., same with the corporate steering wheel. you need a sports car wheel, a sports lux sedan wheel, a lux sedan wheel, and a Cadillac lower class and Cadillac upper class....this is where you need to spend the money GM. these little bits truly matter. What is underneath, well as long as we can percieve a difference and it meets or beats the competition, we are okay, but what we can see and feel needs to be different....to truly appeal to different crowds and to truly seperate the cars as different products for different tastes.

(4) unattractive gear shift knob- this is the late 2000's GM, get with the program. we are discerning, and everything counts.

(5) American retro design- it is fine for Chevy, but I hope instead of always pulling in for design cues of the past, let's start using some Euro cues. The red and black are freaking great, as is the use of chrome, I hope none of this changes for production, and I hope the two years of development over Aura have allowed these nice materials to be used in real cars rather than just preproduction cars.

These are very short nitpicks/constructive criticism, and overall I think GM may have a homerun in the form of this design. Overall, it's not really my kind of bag, I'm more of a Passat or Accord guy from up above, but it is very well done and actually does look appealing and modern without going too far into the past. I think it has a strong C5 feel, which I am not all for as I think it goes too far in copying that, and the above complaints register, but I really would be happy living with this interior, however it's mostly because the center stack is striking in its current form. If anything changes, anything at all, I will be most displeased.

overall, I give the interior an 8, with the Accord and Passat higher, but also more expensive. It does trouble me that the new Accord will debut at the same time.

Edited by turbo200

I also have to say GM must offer NAV in these cars to complete the upscale image. Of the interior on the last page, only the Passat, Jetta, and Accord rank higher in my eyes, and that is saying a LOT. I love those designs, and the Accord is only a little better. I like the Malibu at least as much as I like the Camry, in photos....

GM seems to get it now when it comes to interior design. That is a big thorn on thiers and our sides, which is great to see it come out. I hope the Malibu does stay true to this, and that the less adorned versions come out looking nice too.

Edited by turbo200

(5) American retro design- it is fine for Chevy, but I hope instead of always pulling in for design cues of the past, let's start using some Euro cues.

218443[/snapback]

Absolutely not.

European cars are cold, austere, uncharming, mechanical and - worst of all - perfectly symmetrical to make L/RHD conversion cheaper for the manufacturer. I'm not against the variety of materials used in European designs (though we've done it in the past, too), but American cars have historially had better interiors. Look at something like a mid-70s fullsize Buick or Oldsmobile - chrome, woodgrain, brushed aluminum, high-quality plastic, leather, vinyl, velour, rich cloth; everything was inlaid, overlayed, embossed, debossed, mixed and match and available in myriad color combinations with tremendous detailing - and this was all in the same car!

There are unarguably some standout European interiors - Maybach, RR, Bentley, Ferrari, Maserati...I'd even throw in fullsize Citroens for sheer inventiveness - but the mainstream vehicles have historically been woeful. Even today many are. I don't understand how having a gray and crayon blue two-tone interior is chic or attractive. Neither do I understand these ghastly center stacks many Euro-market cars have.

So far, the school of European interior design - not materials - has graced us with clinical colors, symmetry, and hazard lamp switches mysteriously used as centerpieces of the center stack. Color me unimpressed. Just don't color me like the interior of a Peugoet.

I don't like it.

It's like they're trying to be stylish with that silver plastic, shiny leather, and reddish color scheme but ultimately failed in execution.

In terms of GM interiors, I prefer the Outlook's, Acadia's, Enclave's, GMT900s', SRX's, SLS's, NG CTS's, SKY's, NG VUE's over this.

Hopefully it will be better with different materials and colors. But right now, I don't think it's any better than the AURA's.

I want to see one confirmed as fully-loaded before I pan it. I like it if this is a base interior. I am assuming NAV, dual-zone, and other amenities are available that would spice things up a bit. I also want to see other color combinations.

If this is a fully-loaded interior, though, then I'll pass and say it's a mild step-up from the AURA.

BTW--if you look closely at the doors (best on the hi-res pic) I am praying to God that isn't the fake plastic stitching on them.

ETA: I wouldn't call it a "warm" interior. Too much metal and it is entirely darkly colored. I think it is kind of cold and sterile (not in a negative connotation, though), but it has personality and style. It certainly isn't boring, and it certainly looks very classy. I think it looks sporty.

I'm having a hard time putting this into words, so I'm gonna use a crazy analogy: this interior is like the character Christina Yang (Sandra Oh) on Grey's Anatomy. Lacks warmth and whimsy, but is without a doubt driven, purposeful, excellent and successful.

Of course, my entire opinion could reverse with a lighter/brighter color scheme.

Edited by Croc

The dark, non-jarring, harmonious colors, the use of what appears to be burnished, rather than polished metal trim, the graceful curvature of the dash, all come together to instill a feeling of warmth in the perceptive individual.

No, I'm quite perceptive, Bill. I just disagree that maroon and charcoal with metallic trim of any finish constitutes warmth.

I don't find the AURA interior to be warm at all with the charcoal dash and morrocan brown, either, and certainly not in black leather. Give me the neutral interior and the metallic trim, and I find it a little more inviting. I'm hoping that's the case here.

ETA: I'm just not a fan of charcoal upper dashes.

Edited by Croc

No, I'm quite perceptive, Bill.  I just disagree that maroon and charcoal with metallic trim of any finish constitutes warmth.

I don't find the AURA interior to be warm at all with the charcoal dash and morrocan brown, either, and certainly not in black leather.  Give me the neutral interior and the metallic trim, and I find it quite inviting.  I'm hoping that's the case here.

218476[/snapback]

A quick shop for color delete...

post-206-1164156229_thumb.jpg