Rate the new Malibu's interior  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the new Malibu's interior

• 5 - Wow! Truly world-class
    • 4 - Pretty great! But...
    • 3 - Average, not a stand out
    • 2 - Okay. I guess
    • 1 - Puke-o-rama

The return of maroon (not whorehouse red) and saddle brown (as part of a two-tone treatment) to car interiors is long overdue. I love Ford's use of saddle brown leather in some of their F-series trucks (King Ranch?) Lighter tan with brown is nice too. And black, for drama and businesslike sportiness. Blue interior with the charcoal would look good too.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The poster at the bottom of page 5 hit the nail on the head: I would have no problem with this interior being the Pontiac G6 interior with the only change being an Arrowhead instead of a Bowtie. If the exterior of the Malibu is as sporty as the interior is, Chevrolet will have a huge hit.

I don't give a $h! whether it's historically a "Pontiac" or "Chevrolet" dash design. I guarantee the general public does not either. Chevrolet has not used this design over the last several decades with any consistency so that it becomes irreversibly associated with the brand.

>>This interior is very sporty, though--so much so that it would not seem out of place in a Pontiac with only a logo change.<<

Between the arrows is the main point of my post. If GM can make a Chevrolet this un-boring and sporty, then think how nice and sporty future Pontiac interiors will be. Chevrolet will finally get to put SS badges on vehicles without tepid interiors...it's about time.

Edited by Croc

Come on man. That is not a Pontiac dashboard. Yes, it is sporty and handsome. But it is all Chevy. This is GM staying authentic to the brand. A good thing.

40 years? Look at the SSR. Look at the C5 and C6. Look at the Bel Air concept.

Edited by ocnblu

Come on man.  That is not a Pontiac dashboard.  Yes, it is sporty and handsome.  But it is all Chevy.  This is GM staying authentic to the brand.  A good thing.

40 years?  Look at the SSR.  Look at the C5 and C6.  Look at the Bel Air concept.

218516[/snapback]

Mention a single mass-market vehicle. None of those are. The SSR and Bel Air were retro-inspired anyway.

Croc... you have never seen a dual-cowl Pontiac dash. Not in concept form, not in production form. But you have seen them from Chevrolet, in production and concept, since at least the 50's.

You want mainstream? Look at the '06 Impala dash. Not much more "mainstream" than that.

Edited by ocnblu

This is awesome. This is what happens when GM just lets its brands be themselves instead of mimmicking the competition. Personally, based on style alone I think it's better than any other interior posted in this thread. Aura, G6, Camry, Accord, Passat, Jetta, Sonata, Avenger, Fusion, Milan, 500 - whatever...none of them hold a candle to this.

Croc, not that I'm singling you out, but this short pictorial essay is dedicated to you:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The malibu interior is over 99% Aura interior, even the center stack.

And look, those "cheap" door armrests made it to the Malibu too

218371[/snapback]

thanks, I'm not the only one who noticed that

Aura seats, shifter, center stack. GM corporate steering wheel. I doubt the plastic specs are better than the Aura, but maybe better than the G6, so that means underwhelming. Half the door panel stuff is Aura too. armrest inserts, swtiches, door handle, even the cutline is similar.

Probably too narrow, just like the Aura and G6.

sorry, the new Altima looks far better to me, interiors wise.

so average interior, pushrods, 4 speed automatics, i guess this new malibu will DOMINATE the world.

:duh:

Edited by regfootball

Pontiacs have been sporty, red-backlit, and driver-oriented with fifteen air vents since forever.

218532[/snapback]

Forever is a mighty long time... My '68 Pontiac has none of the above. The only red back lighting is the red indian head that serves as the high beam indicator.

Competitive. Not deal-breaking, not class-leading.

I like it, but I doubt the authenticity of materials as well as the shaky interior build quality relative to its sister, AURA.

Stylistically, it is not very forward thinking, but it is brand-specific. Again, I'd pay extra to have real materials - real aluminum for example. That plastiluminum does not wear well.

I'm really pulling for this car - hopefully the bean counters were given Xanax throughout the duration of this project - as it is a crucial piece of GM's future.

As a side note, what happened to Hogans Heroes' statement about this project's cancellation?

I don't think we should care what 40 year old Pontiac and Chevy interiors look like. 99% of people could care less. As long as it looks good, as good materials, and is well-built, I could care less if it looks like a 1970 Pontiac and it's in a Chevy or vice-versa.

As for the Malibu, well, I'm undecided. I need to see more pics from different angles and actually sit in it, because right now that center stack is bugging me. It's really square and and bulky, and everything else is flowing and curvy.

218556[/snapback]

What is so great about the Altima? It looks like they took a G6 and said "here's what they did wrong, now let's make some improvements" and didn't even do a great job at it.

thanks, I'm not the only one who noticed that

Aura seats, shifter, center stack.  GM corporate steering wheel.  I doubt the plastic specs are better than the Aura, but maybe better than the G6, so that means underwhelming.  Half the door panel stuff is Aura too.  armrest inserts, swtiches, door handle, even the cutline is similar.

Probably too narrow, just like the Aura and G6.

so average interior, pushrods, 4 speed automatics, i guess this new malibu will DOMINATE the world.

:duh:

218556[/snapback]

on what subjective basis is the malibu worse looking than the altima. keeping in mind that subjective means your whole plastics argument is thrown out the window, because since you've only recognized a commonality in a few parts, you do not know or have any idea what the rest of the interior's plastics will be like

I had a 98 Malibu had lot of problems (esp. with the brakes), even though I love GM I feared the Malibu because of my past experience, this pic. of the new 2008 interior has gone along way to help me overcome that fear and I am now very eager to see this new car.

What is so great about the Altima? It looks like they took a G6 and said "here's what they did wrong, now let's make some improvements" and didn't even do a great job at it.

218567[/snapback]

I still don't get what people think is so similar about the G6 and Altima. They don't look alike at all. :blink:

Nice looking...  I like the two tone

Posted Image

Click here for high-resolution image

------------------------

FOR RELEASE: 2006-11-21

Chevrolet to unveil all-new 2008 Malibu in January

DETROIT, Mich. – Chevrolet confirmed today that the all-new 2008 Malibu will be unveiled in January at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit and released a sneak peek of one of the car’s available two-tone interiors, which demonstrates a new level of refinement in the extremely competitive mid-size car segment.

“The next-generation Chevrolet Malibu's interior showcases the precision and detailed execution that will differentiate it among the mid-size car segment,” said Ed Peper, Chevrolet General Manager. “The 2008 Chevy Malibu will offer a number of striking and progressive interiors that use premium materials to demonstrate quality and value not seen before in this segment.”

In the sneak peek photograph, the roomier Malibu cabin showcases Chevy's classic dual cockpit design.

The new Malibu builds on the success of its current model, which garnered many awards such as the 2005 J.D. Power Initial Quality Award and the 2006 Insurance Institute for Highway Safety “Top Safety Picks” silver medal.

218275[/snapback]

Just fair, from what I see --- I don't care for that vast expanse above the glove box. The current Impala interior is much nicer.

i cant f@#king believe that after 7 pages of discussion I have to bring up the trim misfit below the mirror controls. i feel so damned dirty.

218629[/snapback]

I also noticed it and was planning on saying something.

The interior look alright I suppose. I still don't care for the corporate radio all that much though...no matter how "integrated" they tried to make it look.

I don't know if anyone has brought this up but:

WHERE IS THE GOD DAMNED HAND BRAKE!

I wish my SS had the hand brake on the console like the G6. Now, when I look at this pic, I don't see a hand brake, which means the &#036;h&#33;ty foot pedal and NO chance for a stick in the new Malibu.

The interior looks great, but I can't figure out why they didn't fix this.

To all those who are judging the interior on quality, you shouldn't. The only reason being that we have no idea what it is like. You don't know how an interior feels unless you've sat in it.

That being said, I rated this interior on STYLE. I think it looks great. I love the deisgn, but the only reason I gave it a 4 is because, like most GM cars, the center stack looks bad.

I had a 98 Malibu had lot of problems (esp. with the brakes), even though I love GM I feared the Malibu because of my past experience, this pic. of the new 2008 interior has gone along way to help me overcome that fear and I am now very eager to see this new car.

218586[/snapback]

The 98 Malibu is a completely different car and platform than the current model. They are similar in name only.

Am I the only one who thinks this is an illustration? Other than the appearance you shouldn't base too many judgements on it. You should be aware that GM's "photos" sometimes have the pedals for one transmission and the stick for another. Can't see a handbrake? Maybe they forgot to draw it in, maybe there isn't one—you won't know for sure until actual "live" photos appear.

Taje a look at the door panel and then take a look at the door panel of an Aura. The panel on the Malibu is identical from the bottom edge of the two-tone strip down...with the aura panel from the fake wood strip down. The reason this is not obvious at first glance is because of the upsweep of the top of the two-tone bar. I'm not thrilled about this.

However, we are getting a new Malibu after only 4 years (lightning speed for GM) so I can't complain too much.

Am I the only one who thinks this is an illustration? Other than the appearance you shouldn't base too many judgements on it. You should be aware that GM's "photos" sometimes have the pedals for one transmission and the stick for another. Can't see a handbrake? Maybe they forgot to draw it in, maybe there isn't one—you won't know for sure until actual "live" photos appear.

218667[/snapback]

Good point but I think its a mock up like the shots they showed of the CTS on

60 Mins. Im fairly sure that a-post ends right where you see it in the pic.

Hence the angle and what appears to be a lack of a hood.

Looks nice, but the interior door panel (other than the nice two-tone) is bland and so is the ancient-looking transmission shifter. Otherwise a revelation over the current lousy car.

i cant f@#king believe that after 7 pages of discussion I have to bring up the trim misfit below the mirror controls. i feel so damned dirty.

218629[/snapback]

that's not trim misfit. that's where the door meets console. it looks like the pieces are side by side. this could be caused by 2 reasons

a) the metal is reflecting light differently, giving it the illusion of being mis-alligned

b) it's JUST a cabin mock-up..... :duh:

Come on man.  That is not a Pontiac dashboard.  Yes, it is sporty and handsome.  But it is all Chevy.  This is GM staying authentic to the brand.  A good thing.

40 years?  Look at the SSR.  Look at the C5 and C6.  Look at the Bel Air concept.

218516[/snapback]

With GM's tight resources these days I don't think we'll ever see Chevy/Pontiac etc having thier own brand specific interiors but rather platform interiors like the GMT-900's have and now this new Malibu follows along the lines of the Aura so the next G6 update will probably be pretty close to this. Who would get into a G6 and bitch that this isn't a Pontiac interior? The only words that come to mind when I think of a Pontiac interior are the words ebony, black, plastic and fisher price. Edited by I hope GMRULES again

I don't like it.

It's like they're trying to be stylish with that silver plastic, shiny leather, and reddish color scheme but ultimately failed in execution.

In terms of GM interiors, I prefer the Outlook's, Acadia's, Enclave's, GMT900s', SRX's, SLS's, NG CTS's, SKY's, NG VUE's over this.

Hopefully it will be better with different materials and colors. But right now, I don't think it's any better than the AURA's.

218454[/snapback]

Took the words right out of my mouth.

The two-tone is tacky, IMO, even though I am sure black/gray or tan/brown would look much better. The dash design is nice, especially with the sweeping curves, but the rest is average. The center stack, door panels and center console are average. A gated shifter would look great, IMO, more upscale. It may not appear that the Malibu and Aura share many parts but if you look closely you can see the basic foundation.

Of the interior photos posted on the thread, I would rate the Accord, Mazda, VW and Camry as better than this. The Accord still looks better than this after how many years on the market? That says a lot.

NAV, Bluetooth and dual-zone climate control must be offered at launch. There is no excuse for not offering these features when competitors do.

I think the two-tone is the biggest drawback and is affecting my opinion on the rest of the interior. I would like something a little more low key. This combination does not match the exterior spy shots we have seen, IMO. They show a classy, conservative yet sporty design and this does not go with the theme. The SKY, GMT900 and Lambda interiors are simply amazing and beautiful so why is GM holding back?

This is a great styling design. Gobs of character. Appearing more like some mid/late 90's production and concept..........................O L D S M O B I L E interiors

I did give it a top vote

However it is in an Epilson, notice the steering wheel is by the knee caps and then I can only imagine they have that console extending way forward leaving no room for the gas peddle foot....because there are hiddin electronical wonders hiding behind it that take precedence above and beyond the driver...........Oh and by the way......why not just put the entire center armrest in the back seat ? Why stop with only 3/4's of it way back there ? ? ? Hmm ? ? ?

Wake up Hollywood !

:smilewide:

Edited by razoredge

The bottom half of the door trim panels being shared among GM platform-mates is far from being a new thing. The basic layout of dashboards (hard points behind what you see) have also been shared among GM platform-mates for decades.

This is also true of just about every other manufacturer. Nothing horrible.

on what subjective basis is the malibu worse looking than the altima. keeping in mind that subjective means your whole plastics argument is thrown out the window, because since you've only recognized a commonality in a few parts, you do not know or have any idea what the rest of the interior's plastics will be like

218569[/snapback]

the aura's interior is somewhat ok. this will have the same or lesser plastic specs. having seen the altimas new interior and how tight it is, its better than the aura. the malibu will not have a better interior than the aura by virtue of gm pecking order.

stop getting your panties wet everyone. you've already seen this interior on a saturn lot. even the aura already shares seats w/ the g6.

Edited by regfootball

I don't know if anyone has brought this up but:

WHERE IS THE GOD DAMNED HAND BRAKE!

I wish my SS had the hand brake on the console like the G6.  Now, when I look at this pic, I don't see a hand brake, which means the &#036;h&#33;ty foot pedal and NO chance for a stick in the new Malibu.

The interior looks great, but I can't figure out why they didn't fix this.

218637[/snapback]

yeah, that is missing too. footbrakes are for geriatrics.