• 4 - Pretty great! But...
    • 3 - Average, not a stand out
    • 2 - Okay. I guess
    • 1 - Puke-o-rama

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That being said, I rated this interior on STYLE.  I think it looks great.  I love the deisgn, but the only reason I gave it a 4 is because, like most GM cars, the center stack looks bad.

218639[/snapback]

:withstupid: Also gave it a 4 with my main problem being the center stack. I'm sorry, but GM still doesnt seem to be able to do a center stack right on any mainstream cars. They always look off.

Yes, this is a very nice looking interior. MOSTLY due to the aspect of materials, color and accents. The basic design of the interior is average with any other average car on the market though, kinda has me wondering what the base malibu interior will look like in cloth and when everything is all one shade of gray.

Can't wait to see the final prodection version!

218322[/snapback]

I couldn't have said it better myself... I was hoping for an interior that is Bel Air concep-esque and this is a little tamer.

The materials look excellent, but the design isn't as radical as I would've liked. Of course, I'm sure I'm in the minority, as always.

I couldn't have said it better myself... I was hoping for an interior that is Bel Air concep-esque and this is a little tamer.

The materials look excellent, but the design isn't as radical as I would've liked. Of course, I'm sure I'm in the minority, as always.

218986[/snapback]

at the end it dosen't have the same interior as the saturn aura, about 50% are just shared parts. and much much better than the fusion/ milan.

Just based on the pics in this thread, it looks like a class leader to me.

Then again, I'm not a dash groping, NAV ninny, gadget pansy like the rest of this crowd. :lol:

j/k: I just don't place such a high premium on interiors like you guys do. A nice one like this is pleasing, but far less important to me than the rest of the car.

Of the pics shown, only the Altima comes close in my view.

I'm with Ocn on the warmth factor.

I'm with Z on the use of heritage - this car is unmistakably a Chevy with only a quick glance at the interior. :thumbsup:

In short, I like it.

I do not like the people saying not good for Malibu when a new Japanese car comes (be it Accord or Crapry). The truth is if GM has a damn good car, we need not need to worry about anything. If GM has a good product it will get its own space and sales regardless of what is refreshed or new as its competitor. If the Accord is better than the 'BU, then GM better fix it up soon and put the ball in the import's court. That is how the game should be played.

GM should not loose the momentum and should not be timid about what others are bringing.

I do not like the people saying not good for Malibu when a new Japanese car comes (be it Accord or Crapry). The truth is if GM has a damn good car, we need not need to worry about anything. If GM has a good product it will get its own space and sales regardless of what is refreshed or new as its competitor. If the Accord is better than the 'BU, then GM better fix it up soon and put the ball in the import's court. That is how the game should be played.

GM should not loose the momentum and should not be timid about what others are bringing.

219304[/snapback]

Were Honda not continuosly setting and resetting and resetting the benchmark for interior quality, craftsmanship, and design, then it wouldn't be such a big deal. However, they do and thats where we kind of wait with baited breath.

I am not disagreeing with you. But rather than sitting and worrying, I definitely think the momentum of changing the benchmarks should be taken by GM. I think GM should be capable to answer what Honda has set and at the same time set the their own tone for the sedans market too. It is difficult but not impossible to beat Honda and Toyota at their own game. For e.g. I like GM's idea of a two tone iterior and bringing spice in this market.

What is interesting is other than the full size Pick ups mid-size sedans market is the only other market which attracts buyers from age 25-75, which is a wide demography. And here you have to look at all the people falling in it. You gotta be creative and at the same time ahead of the game to be in control.

I am not disagreeing with you. But rather than sitting and worrying, I definitely think the momentum of changing the benchmarks should be taken by GM. I think GM should be capable to answer what Honda has set and at the same time set the their own tone for the sedans market too. It is difficult but not impossible to beat Honda and Toyota at their own game. For e.g. I like GM's idea of a two tone iterior and bringing spice in this market.

What is interesting is other than the full size Pick ups mid-size sedans market is the only other market which attracts buyers from age 25-75, which is a wide demography. And here you have to look at all the people falling in it. You gotta be creative and at the same time ahead of the game to be in control.

219310[/snapback]

From the looks of the one picture we have, the new Malibu's interior seems to top everything out there as far as design and perceived quality. The current Accord has been the benchmark in the market since it when on sale, the new Camry really not even topping it. Its going to be interesting to see what Honda brings to the table.

Yeah if only Japanese companies be existing on this planet, I would buy a Honda. Seriously, apart from their no V-8 and no RWD (except NSX and S2000) policy I like the innovation of the company. I think Accord has a very good interior. Being an engineer myself I think engineering is trying to make most of what you have and Honda optimizes engineering pretty well.

Look at the balls Honda had when they got the V-6 with 6-speed in the market knowing:

1. It would butcher some of the under powered TSX sales.

2. No one in mid size market offered 6-speed with a V-6 (Altima SER came later)

I think Accord will be again a car to beat. But we definitely are going to see a much better 'BU.

Average.

And this is a show car. The Aura show car had a great interior, but it was dumbed down just a bit for production reasons, and this Malibu will be no different.

Kinda strange how some judge this interior on whether or not they like the "colors".

Where they cut the color lines is real nice. The styling is real nice, its got gobs of character. I actually like that color combination, I wonder what color car that would go with ? Now take the red and blue leather they put in the GTO, just off to me, I would prefer a straigt red rather than one that looks like its been in the sun for 20 years.

About the "NAV" has'nt anyone noticed what appears to be something the folds open in the top center of the dash pad ? It would look like ass opened though, unless maybe they did it just right. BTW - NAV is for wussies that dont belong behind the wheel of a car on public roads........:smilewide:

I cant wait to see what they do to upgrade the G6 interior.

wonder if they will straighten out the idiotic console problems.......... :hissyfit:

Actually, this is the car.

219331[/snapback]

Well, then I retract the second half of my statement, but I still say it's average.

I have no idea what is so great about this new Malibu.

I'm far from crazy in my statement anyway.

The Accord, Passat, Aura, and even the Camry have a better overall style.

The new Passat's is modern and stylish, this Malibu is like they're trying too hard.

I'll have to see it in person.

Sure colours seem to have a bit to do with it, but to me, this looks just like the current Malibu's interior but with more cut lines, better vents, and the new black tie radio. Whoopty-do.

Then my final judgement shall be laid down.

Edited by MyerShift

How far we've come...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Clearly a bit of an evolution, but no doubt where the Great Leap Forward occured. :)

218301[/snapback]

I actually have always thought the FIRST-gen Malibu interior (shown at top) was better than the current car's.....

But I LOVE the '08 interior.....very sharp and distinctive for the class. The only thing I'm a bit cautious of is the GM-part-bin center stack HVAC and radio. I KNOW they are quality pieces (much better than the current Malibu's) but it would be nice if there were some bespoke radio and HVAC controls like most of the imports are doing now....

Voted "PRETTY GREAT BUT..."

Enough of the "I wanna be just like an Altima or Camry"

interiors, let's see some retro interiors... that's the stuff

that looks world class to me. After the Camaro concept

it's hard to be excited about this.

Now THESE are awsome interiors, some more retro than others.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Kind of silly but cool for an economy car in a '60s economy car kind of way.

Posted Image

Edited by Sixty8panther

Voted "PRETTY GREAT BUT..."

Enough of the "I wanna be just like an Altima or Camry"

interiors, let's see some retro interiors... that's the stuff

that looks world class to me. After the Camaro concept

it's hard to be excited about this.

Now THESE are awsome interiors, some more retro than others.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Kind of silly but cool for an economy car in a '60s economy car kind of way.

Posted Image

222281[/snapback]

I disagree, save retro for the Camaro. The interior great and is distinctive without being polarizing, which means that the average consumer won't be offended by it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've sat in an '07 LT rental with Ebony cloth recently, and it's actually not as bad as many think. With the new 4-spoke it actually looks much cleaner. It's probably the older 4-spoke with that gray color that makes it look like crap.

223385[/snapback]

But to me.....regardless of the color, the interior just looks plain junky.

And I'm not really even talking about the plastics and trim quality.....it's more the fit-and-finish that looks like it was designed in to meet the lowest quality demoninator....

For example, the cheap console that wobbles.....and doesn't come close to lining up with the center stack....almost like two different committees designed each piece and never talked to each other first....

I would agree that the ebony interior greatly improves things. Having lived with the Malibu off and on for the past 3 years, I have to say that its well laid out and functional. Yes, I agree that the plastic looks pretty cheap (especially on the LS), although some improvements have been made. The cloth seats are especially bad. We get used ones from the auctions and they are all horribly stained. From that stand point alone the previous generation was far superior. Why would they switch to this awful fabric?

I don't understand your point......

I don't ever remember a Camry console being wobbly and flimsily-attached....

Looks to me like they designed that console to meet up with the dash....

Not even close to the same thing as the Malibu

226857[/snapback]

You guys are talking about two different things. You're saying that the Malibu's stack and console don't come together well and he's saying that the Camry's console is off-center with regards to the stack.

You guys are talking about two different things. You're saying that the Malibu's stack and console don't come together well and he's saying that the Camry's console is off-center with regards to the stack.

226862[/snapback]

It's hard to tell if it's off-center or not from that photo..the wierd thing about the Camry's console is that it's not integrated with the center stack..seems like it's an afterthought..do they have a base model Camry without the console or something?

Speaking of NAV screens, the visual info displays in many of today's imports are really lousy. For example, the one in my Murano rental looked very pretty but had less functionality than my 1996 Olds. How sad is that?

219125[/snapback]

Your Aurora has NAV?

It's hard to tell if it's off-center or not from that photo..the wierd thing about the Camry's console is that it's not integrated with the center stack..seems like it's an afterthought..do they have a base model Camry without the console or something?

226865[/snapback]

I don't think they sell it here.

The Camry is off-center, unintegrated, and looks like there's a bench seat option. Add to that the fact that the '02 Camry is garbage.

Your Aurora has NAV?

226876[/snapback]

No, but it has a vehicle info center. My point was that the Murano I had for a rental has this big pretty screen in place of a navigation option. I know alot of people love it for some reason because its 'classy,' but it was junk. It had two tripometers, an average economy indicator, a distance-to-empty function, compass, outside temp gauge, and a convoluted 'maintenance reminder' program, which is actually a primitive mileage countdown...you had to set at what interval you wanted to change your oil and rotate your tires. Also, when you reset the tripometer, it also reset the average fuel economy reading.

In comparison, my little display gives me avg/inst economy, fuel range, fuel used, date readout, average speed, and a computer that allows me to enter a distance in miles and it will give me two ETAs (":30 min" or "5:30") and distance remaining, and an engine monitor that tells me voltage, transmission fluid life, and GM's well-working oil life monitor. It also takes up 2"x3.5" instead of a giant screen that does...well...not that much.

How far we've come...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Clearly a bit of an evolution, but no doubt where the Great Leap Forward occured. :)

218301[/snapback]

OK all....let's look at the current Malibu pics again......regarding the center console to the center stack.....

Can any of you (Fly) tell me that you think the Malibu's looks better integrated than the last-gen Camry???

:blink:

Plus, I'll say it once again......you'll think differently once you sit in the Malibu, grab the console with your hand, and wobble it back-and-forth in it's mountings......I can guarantee you the Camry's is WAY more solidly attached.....feels like it was made that way....even if it IS off-center....