Early Look: Chrysler Nassau, Jeep Trailhawk

Guest YellowJacket894

Guest YellowJacket894

Early Look: Chrysler Nassau, Jeep Trailhawk Concepts

From LeftLaneNews:

"DaimlerChrysler today released official sketches of the forthcoming Jeep Trailhawk and Chrysler Nassau concepts. Both vehicles will be on display at the Detroit auto show in January.

The Chrysler Nassau concept is a four-door, four-passenger luxury coupe — effectively a counterpart to sister brand Mercedes' CLS-Class four-door coupe. The exterior design 'leans toward an exploration as to what could be a future sedan in the brand's lineup,' the company says.

Meanwhile, the Jeep Trailhawk 'merges the spectrum of the Jeep brand by combining the core features of the Jeep Wrangler with the sophistication of the Jeep Grand Cherokee.' It is based on the all-new 2007 Wrangler architecture."

Chrysler Nassau:

Posted Image

Jeep Trailhawk:

Posted Image

[The Bottom Line: Sorry about the Compass and Sebring.]

Edited by YellowJacket894

Guest YellowJacket894

Kill the Sebring, build the Nassau just like the concept. Kill the Compass and build the Trailhawk.

Who's with that motion? I am. Replace underwhelming with cars that actually fit the brand. They should get here for the 2009 calendar year and no later.

The new Sebring can't even hold a candle to the new Malibu. If DCX wants to stand a chance, they had better build the Nassau and build it ASAP. I don't need a reason for killing the Compass.

The Nassau, on a smaller-than-LX RWD/AWD platform, would surely cast a glow on Chrysler's lineup.

I love the part about the Trailhawk being on the Wrangler platform. That means straight axles might still stand a chance at Jeep on something other than the iconic, seminal model we all know and admire.

I actually saw a Compass on the road in LA the other day...and honestly in person it looks good.  Would I own one?  Hell no...but it looks 10,000,000x better in person.

218536[/snapback]

So it has 0.1% appeal in person as opposed to 0.00000001% appeal? Good to know.

Dear Chrysler,

Stop making more Jeeps and try selling the ones you already assembled.

Signed,

Everyone

218533[/snapback]

Dear Chrysler,

Nobody will ever be happy with what you do with Jeep.....so, please just do whatever you have to to make money, so that you can continue to sell a badass vehicle like the Wrangler.

Signed,

Me

2000 Chrysler Nassau

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This was a concept that was never really shown to the public.  It was a design exercise that became the 2005 300C.  It now on display in the Chrysler Museum.

Maybe "Nassau" is code for what the next 300 will be??  :huh:

218561[/snapback]

Nassau is the 2nd LX to use the Challenger's shortened wheelbase. They're going to keep the Brampton plant running full speed thru model changeovers....

How many aerosol cans had you huffed at that point in the day?

218543[/snapback]

You guys are being too hard on him. Obviously that style has to apeal to some people otherwise it would have never been designed... Jeep should keep their chin up though because there are a s#!t-load of Americans with poor taste. :scratchchin:

I like both. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the next 300.

Since the Nassau is a "luxury" sedan, I don't think the Sebring has anything to worrry about haha.

As for the compass, it DOES look better in real life, especially from behind, but I'd still take a Caliber, not taht I want either. HHR pour moi s'il vous plait.

Nassau is the 2nd LX to use the Challenger's shortened wheelbase. They're going to keep the Brampton plant running full speed thru model changeovers....

You have some insight on this? There's a lot of debate as to whether CG is going to spin a SWB sedan on the LY. The 'bring is another loser for them, and the LX remains a good product. A smaller, slightly cheaper RWD/AWD offering would work well.

The folks at CG won't comment--you know something?

Guest YellowJacket894

I really don't want to see the Nassau become the NG 300. It lacks, well, the bold presence the current one has. It's better off as a Sebring replacement on a smaller, LY-based structure.

If the Liberty looks like the Trailhawk, I'll have some hope that that product will be more than a Nitro with a seven-slot grille.

Edited by YellowJacket894

You have some insight on this?  There's a lot of debate as to whether CG is going to spin a SWB sedan on the LY.  The 'bring is another loser for them, and the LX remains a good product.  A smaller, slightly cheaper RWD/AWD offering would work well.

The folks at CG won't comment--you know something?

218705[/snapback]

According to conversations I've had with an insider, part of the Challenger program includes linking its development to a second product...this may be it.

Bear in mind that the Japanese transplants have, generally, maximized the output of their factories by running intervals for related product. For instance, the CRV, Civic and Element can all be built on the same line. By adding newer product (generally with higher sales in years 1 & 2) to the same line, you 'make up' for the lower demand for the other product on that line...

In this case, the LY's will be out after the Challenger...but the Challenger has been pegged as a 50K unit max, so another platform mate would be logical. DCX has made it clear that all future products will have to share platforms more extensively, hence the Durango/Aspen, Liberty/Nitro, Wrangler/Trailhawk where you haven't seen these classes sharing platforms before. My boss went to the dealer long lead preview this Summer and indicated that there are a number of wild projects that may bear fruit. I believe the Trailhawk is the first of those previewed vehicles. The Nassau 4 door coupe makes sense as the CLS on MB's development calendar as early as 01.

"According to conversations I've had with an insider, part of the Challenger program includes linking its development to a second product...this may be it."

Thanks for the info--Hemidakota has posted that Chrysler is getting a Cuda, which could also be your second product.

Agree with the fact that CG--like Ford and GM--is rushing to consolidate platforms. Which is why the SWD sedan off the LX/LY has always made so much sense to me: a unique offering into a huge segment where CG is hopelessly overmatched. They love to talk up the Sebring, but it's not doing anything in the market.

"According to conversations I've had with an insider, part of the Challenger program includes linking its development to a second product...this may be it."

Thanks for the info--Hemidakota has posted that Chrysler is getting a Cuda, which could also be your second product.

Agree with the fact that CG--like Ford and GM--is rushing to consolidate platforms.  Which is why the SWD sedan off the LX/LY has always made so much sense to me:  a unique offering into a huge segment where CG is hopelessly overmatched.  They love to talk up the Sebring, but it's not doing anything in the market.

218780[/snapback]

The 'cuda probably makes more sense, from a development cost perspective, but I wouldn't be surprised if a 4 door coupe made the cut because it would have no natural competition.

Should be an interesting few years at DCX. They really are making the Lx's look like exceptions with some of their late rollouts. I've been extremely umimpressed by what I've seen.

Should be an interesting few years at DCX. They really are making the Lx's look like exceptions with some of their late rollouts. I've been extremely umimpressed by what I've seen.

218802[/snapback]

Agree 100%: Given the way things are going, I HOPE we get a few interesting years.

I actually saw a Compass on the road in LA the other day...and honestly in person it looks good.  Would I own one?  Hell no...but it looks 10,000,000x better in person.

218536[/snapback]

I agree 100%

I hated the Compass, until I saw one in person.

The Trailhawk screams Nitro to me and the Nassau scream Infiniti/Lincoln MKS.

Hope they're better in the sheet metal

I like the Nassau. It looks like it should be pretty good.

Hopefully the production version is a shortened LX/LY and not the next 300. That'd be a good thing.

Even if it was the next 300, it still looks good, but Chrysler could use more good looking, interesting, and bold products.

Edited by MyerShift

Guest YellowJacket894

I like the Nassau. It looks like it should be pretty good.

Hopefully the production version is a shortened LX/LY and not the next 300. HTat'd be a good thing.

:withstupid:

From the sketch the Nassau looks good even from the limited view. The Trailhawk seems promising and I agree, kill the Compass and add it. But I'll hold judgement until I see the sheetmetal because sometimes things get lost in translation ie Sebring.

The Compass is not that bad. People were checking them out at the show and they really do have potential if people look into them and see what they are. They are a small car with some Jeep personality.... much more risk taking than a civic or a corolla.

The Liberty is due to become larger like the Nitro, but its not going to be on the wrangler chassis like this concept is.

I totally disagree-Airflite was one of my favorite Chrysler concepts-probably just beating out the 1998 Chronos for my absolute favorite Chrysler concept-but the new Sebring is a lousy car, with its low entry/exit (at 5.4' I almost banged my head on the roof and A-pillar getting out of the driver's seat), horrible head restraints (almost as abominable as the Compass abomination), weak value for the money and trunk/rear seat space, and let's not forget the exterior design, especially the googly headlamps and wrongly-shaped taillamps. I hope the Nassau is better, because I haven't seen anything special so far.

2000 Chrysler Nassau

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This was a concept that was never really shown to the public.  It was a design exercise that became the 2005 300C.  It now on display in the Chrysler Museum.

Maybe "Nassau" is code for what the next 300 will be??  :huh:

218561[/snapback]

That's cool...the nose isn't as nice as the 300C but it's neat to see the design concept!

As for these concepts...I like `em...especially the Jeep. it looks pissed. Get rid of the Compass and build this.

Also, I saw a gray Compass last night in the Target parking lot. It looks better in person, which isn't saying much...but it still doesn't look good...at all...