• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

Sign in to follow this  
mustang84

Laid-off Ford employee starts own car company

Laid-Off Ford Employee Decides To Start Own Car Company

November 13, 2006 | Issue 42•46

Posted Image

Thaney at Thaney Motor Company HQ.

HAPEVILLE, GA—Calling his recent layoff "just the kind of a kick in the pants" he needed, former Ford Motor Company autoworker Chris Thaney announced the creation of the Thaney Motor Company Monday.

"Losing my job was the best thing that could have ever happened to me," said the 34-year-old Thaney, who made $57,000 on the production line as a door fitter until the Hapeville plant closed down last month. "I know cars. I've been around cars for nearly a decade now. I don't need to work for a big, corporate auto manufacturer to do what I love."

"It's going to be great," Thaney continued. "Finally I get to be my own boss, set my own hours, and make my own cars."

Headquartered in Thaney's home garage and financed mainly through his unemployment compensation and United Auto Workers layoff benefits, the new company's credo is, according to Thaney, to "design affordable, versatile and easy-handling cars for ordinary Americans." Saying that his time at Ford taught him "what not to do," Thaney explained that his car company will not be the victim of overproduction and other inefficient practices that have resulted in intensifying competition and declining profits.

"Today's consumers want something made with precision and care," Thaney said. "Not something that was spit out in 58 seconds by a thousand people and some machines."

Continue reading to see upcoming models and more info

Edited by mustang84

the new company's credo is, according to Thaney, to "design affordable, versatile and easy-handling cars for ordinary Americans."

When I read that, all I can think of this...

Posted Image

The concept sketch is superb! 8)

218700[/snapback]

At first I thought you were serious and then I looked at the sketch. Yes, it is quite amateur and he would do better looking for ideas on C&G boards but imagine if this venture turns into a small company a la Subaru.

Then it buys Ford. :lol:

so this guy wants to start his own car company? interesting. he said he wants to design affordable, versatile and easy-handling cars for ordinary Americans"

but most important thing is the design.

Edited by carstar

"Today's consumers want something made with precision and care," Thaney said. "Not something that was spit out in 58 seconds by a thousand people and some machines."

Does todays comsumer really care about that? Can you explain the camry? the accord? impala? civic? cobalt? fusion? f-150? GM-900's ?

When I read that, all I can think of this...

Posted Image

218704[/snapback]

:lol: All my life, I have searched for a car that feels a certain way.

Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Now, at last, I have found it.

You guys should investigate the other stories there. You might find them funny, too.

I've been around cars for nearly a decade now.

I wonder what he did for the first 24 years of his life, walk?

Guest YellowJacket894

Posted Image

Caption should really read: "Carlos Mencia removes the spray-on tan and starts living up to his German heritage."

If making cars was that easy :CG_all: would have had Chevelle dream a reality.

It did not have to wait for Thaney to get kicked from the floor job at FORD.

okay guys, your hearing it here first.... ive started my own company....its called the Ferone Motor Company

heres my first model, the Ferone Vroom

it has an 800 hp v28 motor

if all goes well, itll look exactly like the concept picture, seen here

Posted Image

^_^:P

okay guys, your hearing it here first.... ive started my own company....its called the Ferone Motor Company

heres my first model, the Ferone Vroom

it has an 800 hp v28 motor

if all goes well, itll look exactly like the concept picture, seen here

Posted Image

^_^  :P

219100[/snapback]

Nice now concept overall, but I think you need to make some little bit changes so that the import humpers will buy your good design.

The greenhouse is a bit too curvaceous make it little bit boxy.

Wheel arches are too big, make the wheels look too small

You need a spoiler.

Guest YellowJacket894

Posted Image

Caption should really read: "Carlos Mencia removes the spray-on tan and starts living up to his German heritage."

218901[/snapback]

I bet no one even got that joke, did they?

Guest YellowJacket894

i did... cuase there is a creepy resemblance to menica!

219136[/snapback]

:yes:

Not only that, but Mencia is actually part German (the other part Puerto Rican). And "Carlos Mencia" isn't even the guy's name -- it's Ned Holness (NedLos . . . ever wonder where that came from?). Plus, it's rumored that he rips off jokes.

The new Ferone Vroom 2.0!!!

Posted Image

the new scoop and wheels bring the hp rating to 1200hp.... bugatti veryon bows down to the fury of the vroom!

:lol2::pbjtime:

Guest YellowJacket894

OMFGBBQ?! :omfg:

Edited by YellowJacket894

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.