• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

Sign in to follow this  
Cory Wolfe

Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Posted Image

Basically, I wanted to take a different styling approach with this Monte Carlo. I see far too many retro or sporty MC designs. I wanted to evoke the aura of the first generation Monte Carlo without being retro. Big and muscular, yet elegant and simple. Those were what I was going for with this design. Whether I succeeded or not is up to you guys.

And now revised and flipped:

Posted Image

Edited by blackviper8891

BV,

Love that drawing ... not sure if it says "Monte Carlo" yet, tho. Perhaps if it had the emblem.... I'm guessing this one IS RWD?

Cort:33swm."Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"Promises mean everything" ... Everclear ... 'Wonderful'

It has a nice, clean look and does not come off as looking derivative.

BV,

Love that drawing ... not sure if it says "Monte Carlo" yet, tho.  Perhaps if it had the emblem....  I'm guessing this one IS RWD?

218990[/snapback]

Well, maybe that's what I inadvertantly wanted. I know I didnt want it to be retro, not even slightly like past MC sketches of mine. I wanted it to be fully modern but with a similar feel of the first gen MC without looking like one. As for the MC emlem... I meant to, but I wanted the trademark Chevy grill and only a bowtie looks good on it. And yes, it's RWD. What would you expect? :P

Things I like that stand out about this one:

overall proportion

greenhouse

rear end

front fascia below the grille

headlights

rims

wheel-to-body clearance

Things that bother me a bit:

grille lifted directly from Cobalt

rear quarter contour line extends into door

My two cents (and you know what that's worth):

Give the grille a crosshatch mesh with a very narrow center bar. The knight emblem would be nice, but with the new Camaro probably getting a bowtie instead of its traditional r/w/b shield, the bowtie would most likely be there on a production car.

Keep the rear quarter contour line within the quarter and make the lead line much more vertical. This would then be an identifier without going retro.

Overall, your sketch is very clean, elegant and muscular. Much more aspirational than what we have now.

Very good design BV.

I agree with OCN that the front is remiscent to the 'balt, making it look a bit conservative.

Also the back (after the C pillar) kinda gives me a vibe of G-35 (which is not a bad thing), but need to enhance it and make it more aggressive. The wheels are gorgeous.

Overall a good concept.

eh... i dunno... the front end is decent... even tho it is very cobalt

from b pillar back it all goes downhill... way... WAY too gradually... seriously... wheres the decklid?

Haha... I figured it wouldnt be well recieved by some, so I'm not surprised. It, in itself or just certain aspects, not looking enough like a Monte Carlo is simply derived from people's perspective of what a MC should look like. Whether that means have the face of a linebacker or having the decklid that rivals a 747's length or simply being an exact replica of the #3980 1987 MC to come off the production line... It's all the same. Either way, thanks for all the comments, good and bad. Now to critique the criticisms. :D

For the front end, I'm not understanding the whole "looks like a big Cobalt" reference. Other than possibly the lower fascia, which correlates to the whole design about as much as the mirrors do, it is more unique from a Cobalt than any other mainstream Chevy. The grill, while it is admittedly conservative, is much more defined and modern. It could certainly be improved upon, but I don't see Cobalt in it.

Finally, as far as the decklid goes... CJ, coming from you that doesn't mean much. :P

I like this one a LOT. Very tatefull and elegant.

Perhaps a little too plain though, a little too...

forgive me for saying this, Solara like.

I think wiht a more bold face, perhaps if only

the headlights were more pronounced, this

would be a fantastic design with a great appeal.

A little less rear window, a little more rear deck, and maybe a restyled grille. Aside from that, this one's a winner.

A little less rear window, a little more rear deck

219506[/snapback]

:yes: :high five smiley we dont have:

see? im not the only one! :P

I'm not feeling the rear window...a little too much '73 Mustang with that big swoop and small rear deck.

Posted Image

I like the sides and I generally like the front, but the grille needs to be moved down so it's in line with the top of the headlights. Also, it needs the Monte crest.

Pretty good overall...nice drawing.

And yes, it's RWD. What would you expect?

*chuckles*

These days, not much ;).

Glad to know this one IS RWD, but I strongly urge you to try it with the MC emblem on it ... at least somewhere.

Looking forward to the revision.....

Another high quality sketch from BV with great ideas. My only issue is that it looks a bit too heavy. I know MC's are supposed to be grand lux cruisers but this needs to lose a few pounds.

BV, I'm really liking the common design DNA in both this chop and your SSX (El Camino). It's a killer design direction for Chevy.

Has me thinking about what the next Underground project should be. :AH-HA_wink:

The grill looks off, but oh well.

It needs the MC emblem ;).

He he he

Looks a bit better, tho, BV!

Cort:33swm."Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"Promises mean everything" ... Everclear ... 'Wonderful'

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.