Polish_Kris

Why do you hate Toyota so much?

214 posts in this topic

Hello, as a good friend of Ted, one of the moderators for this site, being a happy Camry owner myself, would like to take this opportunity to ask all of you Toyota haters..... WHY? And I would gladly like to know your thoughts and comments, why you hate Toyota. And if you wish, add why you love GM so much? Thank you... Kris

Hate? :blink: I don't hate Toyota...I like some of their cars...and Scion. :) though I think that some of those who do might just be tired that Toyota as been on top for so long, or the blandness of the cars... Just because I root for GM doesn't mean I don't respect the other car makers..

I don't 'hate' Toyota; I cannot foster hate for an inanimate object or a corporation that really hasn't done anything to hurt me personally.

I do, however, not like Toyota based on my experiences. To list a few:

*Toyota dealers in my area are downright horrible. Haughty, horrible attitudes and an apparent contempt for anything not a Toyota.

*Toyota cars I've been familer with for more than a single drive (2005 Corolla & 2003 Camry) are vastly underwhelming. Mediocre ride, steering, handling, comfort, accessibility, ergonomics, performance, materials, quality, efficiency and style. Because of this, I do not agree with nor really like the persistant benchmarking of (especially) those two products. Name me any other compact or midsize car on the market today, and I could easily give you three reasons per car as to why one is superior to a Corolla or Camry.

*Lexus commercials irritate me. Yeah, this seems petty and it really doesn't play a significant part of my life, but its a fact nonetheless. The December to Remember ones in particular are gag-inducing with 116 year-old girls getting new ISs and three-story deco homes adorned with 15ft wreaths. Who lives like that?

As to why I prefer General Motors over Toyota:
*GM products appeal to me in vastly numerous ways. If I want a midsize car from Toyota, I have the Camry, the Camry, or if I'm feeling frisky, the Camry. GM offers me a much wider selection of vehicles, both in bodystyle and price. GM cars, IMO and via my experience, are just as good and in most cases, superior to Toyota products according to my personal tastes.

*GM is something I can be proud of. Toyota is not. So sue me for feeling emotional over a company, but I do. I like cars and love ones made by General Motors. I get a sense of pride knowing I'm driving a young part of a car division that helped create the modern automobile industry and also a product of a corporation that not did that but create modern America in general. If someone asks me about my car, I can tell them its an Oldsmobile Aurora, powered by an award-winning engine also used in Indy racing. My car can run out of coolant and still drive because of cylinder deactivation technology, pioneered by GM decades ago. My car was made by Oldsmobile, one of the oldest automobile manufacturers in the whole world and a true pioneer in the industry. What do I tell people if I have a Lexus? That it was made up a decade and a half ago because non-Japanese wouldn't spend that much for a Toyota? A Kia? That they started off making bicycles into the 1960s?

Now, you can laugh at that and say what a fool I am for having an emotional connection to a mode of transportation, but that's my reasoning. And if you ask me, if you're considering spending a good portion of your yearly salary on a vehicle, you'd better think of more than simply a means of conveyance.

Those are my reasons. Again, I don't hate Toyota. Or Honda. Or BMW. I just don't like most of their products. And if I do happen to use to word 'hate' in a post regarding one of those or other vehicles (i.e. "I hate the new Camry"), I would hope common sense would dictate I do not loathe the cars themselves.

Ohh this is the thread i've been waiting for! :angry: well I could probably write a book on this, but I'll take it from the top... Toyota Sucks :Toyota: My family has had several Toyota vehicles... a mid 80's Toyota Truck a 1994 Toyota T100 a 1998 Camry a 1999 Camry a 1999 Corolla a 2000 Corolla a 2003 Tundra a 2003 Matrix okay the mid 80's truck was sold when i was like 9 or so, so i donno what problems it had... but the 94 Truck, recall on the engine, left me on the road stranded with a blown head gasket, the manual transmission needed replacement at 90k miles... (manual's ought to last forever!) the coolant overflow just fell out of the truck while I was driving, the plastic steering column broke at all the skrew holes (crapy plastic) so it just was hanging and it rattled, the cup holders never worked, it always dropped your drinks, or it fell out with your drinks in there... i'm sure i can think of some more, but thats it for that vehicle 98 camry omg, this one, First off my dad of all people, was pissed off that the tires only lasted 10k miles. the plastic interior just falls apart, you press the radio buttons and they start to hang from one corner, one of the vents for the air wiggles back and forth my dad had to put some felt to stop it (it came like that and the dealership wouldnt fix it), the door handle broke so you couldnt get in from the passenger front seat unless the person on the inside opened it for you, the plastic peice holding the sun visor broke, and now it raddles while you drive, ugg a peice of junk... 99 camry donno, never drove in it... 99 corolla never drove in it 2000 Corolla, The Cat Clogged up! same thing with the radio, but the radio got replaced, just about everything got replaced, had the car not been into an accedent the tranny would have needed to be replaced (manual) by about 100k miles... but the car was totaled 2003 matrix, the Emergancy brake doesnt work, and never did, the dealership wont fix it. the sun visors only have 2 possitions up or down, windsheild glass is too thin, breaks and cracks with small debris... 2003 Tundra, well so far not to many problems, the brakes made some really funny sounds while I was driving once, but i dont drive it very often. but these last 5 vehciles i never really was in, ive driven the camry and the T100 as daily drivers and I can say they suck! This is why I have chosen domestic cars, and quite frankly my firebird has given me such enthusiasm toward cars that I am here, on this forum, and I now work at a Dealership... can your camry do that for you?

Now, you can laugh at that and say what a fool I am for having an emotional connection to a mode of transportation, but that's my reasoning.

Hold up... How many times have you told me "it's just a car"? :huh:

Anyways, hate is a strong word. I hate Toyota. Why, you ask? Well...

First, if you want to see the best case of something being overrated, look no further than Toyota. As Fly said, most of their products arent anything to be proud of being that they aren't really better than the competition. Not all, but most. Yet, they are perceived as the best.

Second, I'm just not a fan of their design. They all either look botched, bland, or botched and bland. Atleast their current ones mostly do. The tC is the only one that doesn't, IMO. In the past, there have been some nices ones, however.

Third, their fans and their dealers... Do I even need to explain this one?

Fourth, their arrogance. Not as bad as Honda, but they're pretty damn arrogant.

---------

As for why I love GM so much.. Wait, I don't. Nevermind.

It's not hate. It's absolute automobile boredom. It's how people settle for so little because of something they heard about Toyota reliability...like lemmings they flock to Camrys and Corollas. It's about mind numbing refinement. It's about every ounce of soul squeezed out of a verhicle. It's about not wanting to drive an appliance. It's about not wanting to be safe and bland. It's not hate. I owned a couple Toyotas. A brand new Celica. It was so bad I traded it off within months of buying it, on an American car. I love GM because of a long, colorful and rich automotive history. I love GM because I have owned many GM cars and have had no regrets, ever. I love GM because many of it's current offerings I prefer over the competition. I love GM because it's American and it has been the biggest since almost forever. I love GM because of their small block V8s. I love GM because although they might build something that bores me on occasion, there is always the hope of something exciting around the corner. I love GM because they build the Corvette. I love GM because they build the Corvette. I love GM because they build the Corvette. Oh, sorry, got carried away. Edited by HarleyEarl

Fourth, their arrogance. Not as bad as Honda, but they're pretty damn arrogant.

[post="17101"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Can you please explain? Sixty8 and FOG use this argument all the time, but I've yet to see reasonable evidence.

Can you please explain? Sixty8 and FOG use this argument all the time, but I've yet to see reasonable evidence.

[post="17104"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

well to quote honda, in one of their new advertisement things says "Best of all, its a Honda" implying that Hondas are just... the "Best"

I know Toyota does this as well, but I dont know if they come out and slap it in ur face quite as much

I just hate the fact that people around me brag how good they are, whereas I myself experience them as crap. It's the brainwashing marketing that those guys take on that irritate me.

I don't hate Toyota-they are definitely boring and overrated, that I will definitely give you. And the Tundra is terrible-I would even buy the outgoing Silverado/Sierra over Tundra-even as GM has wrecked it so much (rear drum brakes, awful-looking 2005-06 base wheels, 2003-05 Silverado grille, etc.). The Corolla is bland and ugly, though it has a spacious interior for the compact class-the only way it looks that good is if its an S model with the Sport package and spoiler, which should be standard on that model anyway. Camry-no complaints here-except that XLE and SE should have the V-6 and aluminum wheels standard-its a spacious, substantial, and yes, largely bland car. I would pick that in a heartbeat over a cheap-looking and feeling Malibu and cramped G6. Avalon-it may have sophistication and nice styling, but it lacks a front bench seat and has the smallest trunk in its class, which is why I would pick an Impala easily over an Avalon. I would get the Avalon however over Lucerne. Scions? Nice cars and novel ideas, but Aveo is where I'd go for my subcompact car shopping. Sienna vs. Uplander? You're kidding, right? Sienna wins every time, even in cheap-looking base CE form. However, Equinox wins over Highlander-I wouldn't subject anyone to that nearly-useless third row seat (like in every other mid-size car or truck-based SUV-new Commander included). Does that help?

well to quote honda, in one of their new advertisement things says "Best of all, its a Honda" implying that Hondas are just... the "Best"

I know Toyota does this as well, but I dont know if they come out and slap it in ur face quite as much

[post="17106"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

toyota's arrogance is alot more blatant. As stated by a toyota exec, "we'll raise our prices to help out the domestic makers"

I agree with everything pretty much you guys have said, but I want to add on to their arrogance--They absolutely seem to refuse, unless they have to, to admit they made any type of mistakes. They treat themselves like they are God himself, or are therefore infallible and any problems that might be encountered are entirely the fault of the owners, and Toyota isn't responsible. I mean, they just issued a recall on 15year old trucks, probably because they were pressured to. They blame the glass on their wind-deflectors shattering on debris, despite the fact that no other cars seem to have the same problem. The fought like hell to not admit the sludge problem years ago. I don't know why the sheep keep going back to them to be told "look how you screwed up your car!"

All of the above (especially Fly's post), and I'll add that their attempts to portray themselves as the All-American car company do nothing but piss me off. Do they really care about the AMerican people enough to provide them a place to work? Even if they did, it's gotta be demoralizing working for them, as those people are apparently the reason for every recall Toyota has (if you ask Toyota). How would you like to be told by your boss that you suck? Their PR machine spews out nothing but lies, trying to convince the public that fuel economy and emissions while the company attempts to seize market share by making bigger, thirstier trucks and SUVs. I wonder how many gallons of fuel Toyota as a company actually saves with their handful of hybrids vs. GM's hybrid buses, ethanol-capable trucks/SUVs, and a lineup of cars/trucks that are as efficient or more efficient than the competition.

There are MANY reasons I am not a toyota or honda fan. I'll just name my main reasons below. 1. We owe Japan BILLIONS of dollars from our trade deficit with Japan (which is over 60% car oriented). My theory, your dumb enough to buy the cars, you should pay the deficit back. 2. We have lost THOUSANDS of jobs in America which help support our tax system which then supports our schools. And our schools need the money. Once again, if your dumb enough to buy the cars, then we should increase your taxes to help out our schools. 3. They do not allow women in upper management. Check out their websites and you will not find a female on their board of directors, let alone a minority. That includes their US site. If any American Company did this they would go out of business in less than a year. 4. They are over-rated, under delivering products and because of the past people aren't changing their minds. Case in point - Engines with sludge problems, and the Nummi plant not being one of GMs top plants, yet CR and other such mags still rate the corolla & tundra high. 5. Check out what GM, Ford or DaimlerChrysler gives back to the community each year (no matter what country their in), and you will find companies that go overboard. Check out what honda & toyota give and you'll understand why they have so much cash on hand. The latest disaster down south is a great point. The sad part is, this is very common with Japanese Corporations. Those are just the main 5. I have many more, but those 5 will do for now.

Good job guys! Not much I can say that hasn't been said already, except that I live in the Toledo area, and have grown up in the Detroit area, and those areas economy's are pretty much based on the DOMESTIC auto industry. It's also what my personal economy is based on, since every job I've had since college is based on the domestic auto industry, and my Dad's job with Chrysler is what got me here. The fact that Toyota is selling an ungodly amount of vehicles based on some myth that they are the only quality brand out there, and the fact that they have a ridiculous PR department that does things that I would consider illegal....for example: Putting out a story that says they will raise car prices to help the US automakers, that story blows up in the media and everyone thinks Toyota is so kind and merciful, and then they release a story the same day that says their President is senile, and no they won't rasie prices just to help the US automakers.......and amazingly enough.....nobody see that story.....and so the urban legend is born: Toyota has raised their their prices to help out the US automakers, because nobody wants to buy a domestic because they are inferior......and the only reason they would is because Toyota in their generosity has made their superior vehicles cost $1000.00 more. Then there's the issues with them building half of their cars in Japan, but yet people will always say: "Yeah, but Toyota's are made in America now". The ones built in Japan have unfair currency values....their government subsidises Toyota's retirees, etc. So basically, if Toyota takes over the world, I'm probably out of a job....unless I would want to work for the Evil Empire! :Toyota: Edited by BrewSwillis

What everyone else said, plus: 1. They will do just enough to get around NAFTA and the Auto Pact, nothing more. 2. The Big Three are part of my heritage, my culture. My family took pride in their vehicles and loved them. Toyotas are appliances. 3. Japan Inc. Even the Chinese don't trust them. WWII never ended, only the uniforms changed. The day Japan levels the playing field, I will consider a Japanese car. Just take a look at what the Ministry of Industry and Trade does over there with sugar quotas, beet quotas, etc. How do you think Hitachi, Sanyo, etc. got as big as they are? 4. The destruction to our economy. You send a year's salary to Tokyo. That isn't chicken feed. I don't hate Toyota. They are very good at bribing, brainwashing or whatever it is they do to the media. F**k Watergate, this could be the biggest thing since - why isn't anybody digging?

So basically, if Toyota takes over the world, I'm probably out of a job....unless I would want to work for the Evil Empire

Would you ? Or would you rather work for minimum wage at some 7-11. Just curious.

So basically, if Toyota takes over the world, I'm probably out of a job....unless I would want to work for the Evil Empire

Would you ?  Or would you rather work for minimum wage at some 7-11. Just curious.

[post="17171"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I guess I could look for a Tier 1 supplier to work for......that's if Toyota would use US Tier 1 suppliers after they take over.

I also suppose I could move away from the Detroit area, and find a different industry to work for......but I don't really want to do that. Oddly enough, I really like the Detroit area!

To sum up my thoughts: Cars should have a strong personality, and make a design statement. They should not be refrigerators, styled purely for function. Other than the Celica, which is merely OK in the styling department, Toyota really doesn't have anything that gets me going. The Cobalt, on the other hand, is a funky design with personality, so I bought one.

Here are a few:

1) Because they are leading the fight to destroy what I love; GM

2) Because they get their way with every damn thing in the world whether it be through fate or the ass-kissing media articles, or delusional governors more excited about Toyota's 8 billion dollar balance sheets than the big 3's combined 250 years of service to her state.
3) Because they pull every under the table move they can to screw America and it's manufacturers over at any cost.
4) Because they're arrogant and kick dirt on the once proud big three and Americans at every opportunity.
5) Because they make LAME, personality-less appliances with no soul or history.
6) Because everybody in this country, and the world, loves them including our traitor media and naive, stupid consumers DESPITE whatever they do wrong.
7) because they live in a completely unrealistic and 'perfect' world that is carefully controlled to their advantage by "friends in the media" and their almighty PR department.
8) Because I just enjoy being an intolerable asshole to something or someone that is threatening what I enjoy and believe in (GM)
9) because I get tired of it and it's followers snobby "I'm better than you by default" attitude as they bask in and are blinded by the vanilla lameness that is Toyota.

I could list HUNDREDS of reasons, and I'm just getting more pissed sitting here thinking about it, so I'm going to stop before I have a heart attack or start ranting like the bad old days.

Just remember this; ANY reason is a good reason to HATE your opponent, ESPECIALLY when it's lieing, deceitful, manipulative and stacks the deck against you in every aspect of the game. And then on top of it all makes your own countrymen sell you out.

I've driven Toyotas and I even own a Toyota and I still hate them.

ANY reason is a GOOD REASON to HATE Toyota.

P.S. Nothing personal though Polish Kris, I'm glad you're happy with the car.

Remember this, if it were not for Toyota GM would not be producing the quality of vehicles they have been. Do you think GM is using Ford or Chrysler as their benchmarks?

I guess the bigger question would be........Why do you (anyone) like Toyota so much? I can't even fathon what that answer could be.....other than "my Toyota doesn't break down like my 1982 Pontiac 6000 did." But I could hardly find that a reason to be a die-hard fan of an automaker.

Remember this, if it were not for Toyota GM would not be producing the quality of vehicles they have been.

Do you think GM is using Ford or Chrysler as their benchmarks?

[post="17202"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

If not for Toyota and all their much loved asian friends then we wouldn't be witnessing the destruction of Detroit by self loathing media hypocrits who for some unknown reason STILL think it's the 70's.

Sure, Toyota motivated GM (After 10-15 years of them living in denial) but they're also helping people who are clueless about the reality of the situation (90 % of Americans and 95% of American media) who also think they themselves are "Better" than us because of their buying preferences, to destroy one last bastion of our manufacturing strength and flush 200+ years of history and pride down the toilet.

I wouldn't hate Toyota so much if they would GET what they deserved and GM stopped getting what it no longer deserves.

Toyota is fallable, PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW this. GM can build good vehicles, PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW THIS. And those PEOPLE (namely the media) need to come off their "better by default" high horses and get back in touch with reality before they finish destroying our car industry.

The public is naive to all of this because they get their news from a carefully pre-packaged soundbite furnished by none other than the biased media itself.

I've had nothing but arrogent or crappy service from Toyota. Two examples: 1. My previous car was a 1994 Cutlass Supreme Convertible. I was looking for as direct a replacement I could get. Naturally, this led me to a Toyota dealer to look at the Solara Convertible. The salesman started his pitch, going on about how Oldsmobile doesn't make cars anymore but it didn't matter because the Solara Convertible would still be better then any convertible Oldsmobile would make. I cooly told the saleman that I enjoy my Cutlass, there is nothing wrong with it, and that the only reason I was there was because Olds stopped making cars. Furthermore, my 1994 Cutlass could spank any Solara in space, power, and handling. 2. I was cross shopping cars to replace the Cutlass once it became apparent that reliablity was going to be an issue <160k miles>. My list included the CTS, IS300, G35, 330i, Legacy GT*, A4, and 300M. I went to the Lexus dealer but couldn't get a saleman to walk over and talk to me. I never did get to drive the IS. To be fair, the first GM dealer I went to, I was told to go look at a Saturn or Pontiac instead of the CTS, but they were a Mega Dealer and I was eligable for about $3k in loyalty and conquest rebates + GM card points + a $500 coupon from Cadillac for attending an event of theirs. So I went to a much smaller local dealer and got great service there. * I know the Legacy doesn't fit in this list, but I like the look of the car and AWD would be helpful in Western, PA.

Toyota. I dislike Toyota because it steals sales from the Big 3. I've been raised to not like or buy foreign. I do like some foreign vehicles, but no Toyotas (hold the Supra). Toyota is the brand of blandness. IMO, all Toyotas and Lexii are bland as hell. Scion is quite the opposite.. but far too [what's a good word?] for my likes (hold the tC).

Also, I can't stand that all Toyotas get such high ratings when compared to the Big Three and, yes, sometimes they deserve it, but not EVERY time! Tell me every Lexus is better than its Cadillac competitor. Or that every Toyota is better than its Dodge/Ford/Chevy competitors.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor