Monte Carlo

well... BV went with the 1st gen monte's simple yet elegant feel... and thats alright... his updated version even has a respectable decklid! but theres just something about it that doesnt say "Monte Carlo" to me...

MDM took a different approach... he was going for i guess a racing theme... he made mention of NASCARs Car of Tomorrow... once again... a decent effort... but still just didnt say "Monte Carlo"

to me... the "spirit" i guess of the Monte Carlo is fully shown in the 2nd generation... a big, elegant, luxury coupe that knows it is a big elegant luxury coupe and is relatively arrogant about it... it has huge amount of presence and this aura that just demands that you look at it...

that is the direction i took... i looked at the second generation and tried to put that to modern form... i spent much longer doing that than actually drawing the final sketch... so there are some perspective issues that i am aware of... but they dont detract from the design... so just ignore them...

Posted Image

oh and BV... if you didnt notice... the crest works perfectly in the Chevy style grill... :P

WAY too retro.

BV's design comes across as a modern interpretation of exactly what you have here (minus the silly wheel skirt). In my eyes, everything about his design says Monte Carlo without looking straight out of the 1970s. There's a way to succesfully integrate styling cues into a modern package without recycling a 30+ year-old design.

Good effort, but retro is a completely unimaginative approach in my opinion.

WELL ...I think you did manage to capture the big car luxo feel look of the early MC's, touch of caddy, but still a chevy....however it is too retro for a NEW MC, as it has to have SOME realtion to NASCAR, BECAUSE That like it or not IS the MC current IMAGE & one that IS working for Chevy. ALSO, YA Cant make BMW for Pontiac , Mercedes for Caddys, Audis for Buicks & Toyotas for CHEVROLETS !!!...it has been TRIED ALREADY BY GM.....& THAT IS EXACTKY WHAT LED THEM AWAY FROM SALES LEADERSHIP...THEY COPIED THE COMPETITION INSTEAD OF LEADING THEM !!!

IT DONT WORK, NOT GONNA HAPPEN ANYMORE. 8):o

& all that said...Guess BV did NOT read my critique of his MC design ;

"THAT is a very nice clean design...exactly what the MC should become IMO... well done !!! "

Edited by MRDETROITMETAL

alright this one was my fault guys... i didnt do something that ive learned to always do before posting anything on here... and that is leave the drawing... dont look at it for a few hours... usually i spend that time watching television and reading a car magazine of some kind... it clears my head and allows me to think properly

i didnt do that... and what happens when i dont... is stuff like this... as i look at it now... after posting it and then leaving it for quite some time... i stopped halfway... i didnt develop this as far as i had wanted to... hence the insanely retro look of the car...

this will be revised... i will work on it... and when i repost... there will be two versions... one without wheel skirt... and one with... i dont know why but for some reason i really like the way it works with the side profile i have right now... and unless i do some extreme body modifications... i will probably continue to like it... but i will do one version without a skirt... it could be made into an option on a production car

anyway... i have some work to do for school... not too much tho... the quarter is wrapping up right now... ill try and get the new version up as soon as i can

Hmmm....interesting concept..... I kinda like it, yet I don't....

*shrugs*

BTW, is this one RWD or FWD?

Cort:33swm."Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"I don't have time" ... Dido ... 'Sand In My Shoes'

its most definitely RWD

while i love my FWD monte carlo... and dont like it when people say its a "disgrace" or "not a real monte carlo"... i understand that it needs to return to its RWD roots

and as i said... i stopped halfway with this... i will redo it and it will be more modern yet still really arrogant and upscale looking... and that drastic body change that eliminates the fender skirt i talked about... that already happened... so no more fender skirt which im sure will make alot of you happy

oh and ocn... about the dots... yeah i dunno its a habit of mine... but you hafta admit it makes it easier to read... seperates the thoughts better... :P

how about this one? i got rid of alot of the crazy retro-ness

Posted Image

PS. a crease on the c pillar does not make it a charger... :P

Edited by 04monteintimidator

ALSO, YA Cant make BMW for Pontiac , Mercedes for Caddys, Audis for Buicks & Toyotas for CHEVROLETS !!!...it has been TRIED ALREADY BY GM.....& THAT IS EXACTKY WHAT LED THEM AWAY FROM SALES LEADERSHIP...THEY COPIED THE COMPETITION INSTEAD OF LEADING THEM !!!

221813[/snapback]

um... i dont know where that rant came from... if i copied any car to make this one it was a 1974 Chevrolet Monte Carlo... there is no sign of toyota or any other manufacturer in this car... so what you are rambling about i dont know...

also... lets try to not include little bouts with members in other members threads please... you couldve said "i think BVs sketch is a better representation of what the Monte Carlo should become" instead of talking about how he didnt notice that you said you liked his sketch...

*nods*

I like it.

Perhaps a bit more trunk area ... looks _almost_ like a hatchback, sorta kinda.

Also, the name (imho) should be cursive lettering ....

Otherwise, as I noted, I like it :).

222960[/snapback]

that is good to hear... im happy you like it

i promise... that this is not a hatchback... if youve seen my reaction to hatchbacks in other threads and stuff... you know i have a very deep hatred for those poor excuses for cars... the trunk area looks kinda tiny halfway because of the angle and perspective and stuff... and halfway because i shrunk it down a bit from my first design... i agree with you tho that it needs more trunk area

as far as the name thing... it would be in cursive... i just was lazy... :lol:

that is good to hear... im happy you like it

Good :).

i promise... that this is not a hatchback... if youve seen my reaction to hatchbacks in other threads and stuff... you know i have a very deep hatred for those poor excuses for cars... the trunk area looks kinda tiny halfway because of the angle and perspective and stuff... and halfway because i shrunk it down a bit from my first design... i agree with you tho that it needs more trunk area

Oh, no worries ... I KNOW it is not a hatchback ;). As you noted, the angle and perspective makes it appear to be a hatchback ....

as far as the name thing... it would be in cursive... i just was lazy...

LOL! Well, bud, STOP being LAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)