Guest Josh

These Hurricanes Sure Are Bitches

33 posts in this topic

Now why cant these things hit the Pontiac-hating California? ...I'd love that. :)

[post="17876"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You're disgusting...

Like, no hurricanes hit this far north, but this one, coming so soon after Katrina has me worried. It is going to be a cold, long winter. I think the economy in North America is heading for the deep freeze. We are paying $1.05 a litre already up here. It is hitting $1.50 in some areas. The economy won't be able to absorb that. Fourth quarter results are going to be off. Very off. Two hundred billion for Katrina and now this? OUCH. But seriously, I think I would reconsider where I buy or build a house, boys and girls. More and more, ocean front property is looking like a bad investment. How much more can insurance companies absorb? Fasten your seatbelts, boys and girls - wherever you are. It is going to be a bumpy ride.

But seriously, I think I would reconsider where I buy or build a house, boys and girls.  More and more, ocean front property is looking like a bad investment.

[post="18711"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

My econ professor wrote an article relating to this issue:

http://www.slate.com/id/2125822/

most of the buildings aroud here are well-constructed enough to handle a category 1 or 2 storm, possibly even 3. but a category 5 is pretty unprecedented. apparently it wont' be the best place to have a house for the next 20-30 years but up until now it seemed reasonable to build here. time makes fools of us all...

Wow, what he said. Canada has shit weather. We have -30C in the winter and +35C in the summer. We have blackflies that need license plates and mosquitos that carry away Smart Cars. We have tundra and glaciers BUT WE DON'T HAVE HURRICANES AND EARTHQUAKES. As the article says, though - we are all going to pay for it. Our gasoline, insurance premiums and cost of building materials will go through the roof in the next few months. Just watch it! I am amazed when I watch American news: homes in South Carolina washed away, tornadoes in Kansas and Wyoming, floods on the Mississippi, hurricanes in Florida - and then there is the biggest ticking time bomb of all: California.

But seriously, I think I would reconsider where I buy or build a house, boys and girls.  More and more, ocean front property is looking like a bad investment.

[post="18711"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Not just ocean front property, but all those freshly built subdivisions in the 30 miles out from the core of the city will begin to look undesirable to the average American family as well. I bet over the next 10 years or so people will begin moving back into the city as gas prices make living in the suburbs almost unbearable for middle class families. Mass transit such a light rail will probably make a comeback in a big way. Unless we can perfect hybrids or hydrogen technology as an alternative to fossil fuels, the Manifest Destiny that America was built upon may begin to take the downward slope in later decades.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.