These Hurricanes Sure Are Bitches

Guest Josh

It's largely due to the abnormally warm summer we had. RIta seriously jumped two hurricane categories overnight. When I went to bed she was a Cat-2 (barely), now she's a Cat-4. Youch.

Well, this just explains it all: "Don Feder, a respected figure on the religious right and a former columnist for the Boston Herald, says that the hurricane was God's punishment for California's legislature approving marriage rights for gays, the vandalizing of Gaza's synagogues, and the recent Pledge of Allegiance court ruling." Who knew???

I knew it was something! I just fear the fact that us (as young people) will be paying for everything that is going on until we're old and gray, even beyond to our children. Good thing I'm not having any kids. In all seriousness, I do wonder how we will fund the war in Iraq, the rebuilding of New Orleans and the imminent destruction of Southern Texas all the while still stay the course we are on with our other government funded programs. I fear 10 years from today when we look back on these trying times, and if things continue? Good luck!

You know, I seriously try to refrain from bashing the president, but I just do not understand this man sometimes. Someone needs to sit him down and explain a few things to him. Like the concept of math and economics and why it is just insane (and grossly unfair to future generations) to keep spending money without some kind of a plan to do something to pay for it.

You know, I seriously try to refrain from bashing the president, but I just do not understand this man sometimes.  Someone needs to sit him down and explain a few things to him.  Like the concept of math and economics and why it is just insane (and grossly unfair to future generations) to keep spending money without some kind of a plan to do something to pay for it.

[post="17898"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Me thinks that he is purposely trying to bankrupt the country so that they can finally get rid of all these programs the government is running that it shouldn't. IE, social security, welfare, etc.

A Cat 5 now. When I woke up this morning it had 135mph winds. Now....it's at least 165mph winds and gaining power. My ex (Carrie Perry) some of you may remember her from the old boards...is directly in the sight of this storm. I spoke with her today and urged her to get her ass out of dodge ASAP!

Me thinks that he is purposely trying to bankrupt the country so that they can finally get rid of all these programs the government is running that it shouldn't.  IE, social security, welfare, etc.

[post="17965"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Do you have any idea how bad poverty for the elderly was before social security?

Like, no hurricanes hit this far north, but this one, coming so soon after Katrina has me worried. It is going to be a cold, long winter. I think the economy in North America is heading for the deep freeze. We are paying $1.05 a litre already up here. It is hitting $1.50 in some areas. The economy won't be able to absorb that. Fourth quarter results are going to be off. Very off. Two hundred billion for Katrina and now this? OUCH. But seriously, I think I would reconsider where I buy or build a house, boys and girls. More and more, ocean front property is looking like a bad investment. How much more can insurance companies absorb? Fasten your seatbelts, boys and girls - wherever you are. It is going to be a bumpy ride.

most of the buildings aroud here are well-constructed enough to handle a category 1 or 2 storm, possibly even 3. but a category 5 is pretty unprecedented. apparently it wont' be the best place to have a house for the next 20-30 years but up until now it seemed reasonable to build here. time makes fools of us all...

Wow, what he said. Canada has shit weather. We have -30C in the winter and +35C in the summer. We have blackflies that need license plates and mosquitos that carry away Smart Cars. We have tundra and glaciers BUT WE DON'T HAVE HURRICANES AND EARTHQUAKES. As the article says, though - we are all going to pay for it. Our gasoline, insurance premiums and cost of building materials will go through the roof in the next few months. Just watch it! I am amazed when I watch American news: homes in South Carolina washed away, tornadoes in Kansas and Wyoming, floods on the Mississippi, hurricanes in Florida - and then there is the biggest ticking time bomb of all: California.

But seriously, I think I would reconsider where I buy or build a house, boys and girls.  More and more, ocean front property is looking like a bad investment.

[post="18711"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Not just ocean front property, but all those freshly built subdivisions in the 30 miles out from the core of the city will begin to look undesirable to the average American family as well. I bet over the next 10 years or so people will begin moving back into the city as gas prices make living in the suburbs almost unbearable for middle class families. Mass transit such a light rail will probably make a comeback in a big way. Unless we can perfect hybrids or hydrogen technology as an alternative to fossil fuels, the Manifest Destiny that America was built upon may begin to take the downward slope in later decades.