Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Lexus Gets "F"-ed

Variance

Lexus Gets "F"-ed

Posted Image

'F,' as it turns out, stands for 'fast,' and will grace the trunk lid of Lexus vehicles that seek to do battle amidst the AMGs and Ms of the world.

The first F-inagled Lexus to make its debut will be a hotted-up version of the IS sedan, equipped with a 5-liter V8. What was originally assumed to be called the IS500, the newly dubbed IS-F will come with a revised version of the V8 that resides in the LS600h L and will produce upwards of 425 HP. Pricing is expected to come in around $50k, and is aimed squarely at the upcoming M3.

Other models expected to get the 'F' treatment include the GS sedan and a coupe version of the IS.

Autoblog

I'm buying me a Lexus LS600h L F

or... was that a LF600h L

maybe it was a L600FLH

f@#k it...

I'm getting a Lexus L0L

223816[/snapback]

It'd probably be LS-Fh.

On a performance model, though, it's almost wasteful to advertise that it's also a hybrid.

Let's focus on the letter attached to the car so we can avoid actually talking about the car itself. It's easier to make fun of Lexus that way. :rolleyes:

IS + 5.0-liter V-8= Who the f*ck cares what it's called.

Let's focus on the letter attached to the car so we can avoid actually talking about the car itself.  It's easier to make fun of Lexus that way.  :rolleyes: 

IS + 5.0-liter V-8= Who the f*ck cares what it's called.

223842[/snapback]

I want to see them put that power to the ground..... something only BMW has been able to do with total success.

The M3 and RS4 will be better if you're looking for something small and the CTS-V and C55 AMG will be better if you want something more midsized (though the C is still tall).

F is a dumb name. Who names there car the IS Fast? V-Series stands denotes the Vx engine. M stands for Motorsport, AMG has some significance to the original people who started it, I'm not sure if RS stands for anything though. But picking F for Fast is one of the dumbest things I've heard. It's worse than SHAWD. If nothing else, LPG, Lexus Performance Group or something similar would have sounded better and had a reasonable meaning.

FAST makes performance intakes for LSx engines:

Posted Image

Now we have the Lexus Fast line. Seriously, "Lexus Performance Group" sounds professional and upscale. "Fast" sounds like a tuner or something, and I guess it's technically a tuner model, but it would be more fitting of Scion.

Reality Check:

'F' is a reference to F1, as in Toyota's Formula 1 racing team. The 'F' logo posted above is even derived from Toyota's F1 logo. The article is wrong in claiming "fast" as what 'F' refers to.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have a feeling you guys would've bashed whatever they chose to name their performance division anyway...so does it really matter? :P

224066[/snapback]

Nope. Apparently the M3, RS4, C55 AMG, and CTS-V are all already better than the IS-F, even though 4/5 of them have yet to even debut. Weird.

Reality Check: 

'F' is a reference to F1, as in Toyota's Formula 1 racing team.  The 'F' logo posted above is even derived from Toyota's F1 logo.  The article is wrong in claiming "fast" as what 'F' refers to. 

224065[/snapback]

Ok, that makes more sense. I think they should have just named it F1 then, but maybe F1 wouldn't let them.

Nope.  Apparently the M3, RS4, C55 AMG, and CTS-V are all already better than the IS-F, even though 4/5 of them have yet to even debut.  Weird.

224067[/snapback]

There's no way the IS-F will handle better than the M3 or RS4. If it does, I'll eat some crow. The CTS-V and C55 AMG are going to have over 500HP, so I see no reason why they won't be faster. Mercedes has not been known for having the best-handling cars, but I'm confident the CTS-V will handle at least as well as the IS-F, considering how well the current car handles.

On the name, it's just as bad as V-series, but at least if Lexus derives it from F1 it's not as simple and actually holds some value [don't try to bring in the old V logo Caddy used to use since it means nothing in the performance world]. The IS-F will undoubtedly be a phenomonal car, and only, only if GM can get the execution and the feel right will they be able to match the Lexus, because anybody can make a sweet sounding and feeling engine, aka IS350. My problem with the Lexus line, and Toyotas in general, is that I simply don't like the character. I like the bodies.....sometimes.......but the car isn't appealing to me. Granted, the IS is cheap, very cheap, but if I were in the market for the entry level luxury class my heart would be swayed by something at BMW or Audi, if I were in the market today. The IS exterior just doesn't do it for me. Seeing the new 3-series coupe next to the Lexus stand put this all in perspective for me. I'm a BMW Audi and sometimes MB [with a soft spot for Caddy] guy all the way.

Edited by turbo200

Ok, that makes more sense.

does it?

On the name, it's just as bad as V-series, but at least if Lexus derives it from F1 it's not as simple and actually holds some value [don't try to bring in the old V logo Caddy used to use since it means nothing in the performance world]. The IS-F will undoubtedly be a phenomonal car, and only, only if GM can get the execution and the feel right will they be able to match the Lexus, because anybody can make a sweet sounding and feeling engine, aka IS350. My problem with the Lexus line, and Toyotas in general, is that I simply don't like the character. I like the bodies.....sometimes.......but the car isn't appealing to me. Granted, the IS is cheap, very cheap, but if I were in the market for the entry level luxury class my heart would be swayed by something at BMW or Audi, if I were in the market today. The IS exterior just doesn't do it for me. Seeing the new 3-series coupe next to the Lexus stand put this all in perspective for me. I'm a BMW Audi and sometimes MB [with a soft spot for Caddy] guy all the way.

Any idea about the ridiculous amount of money they spend and what theyve actually accomplished?

With one of the biggest budgets their F1 effort is regarded as a flop... so far.

That is unless of course they dont want to step on Ferrari, Honda, Mcclaren, BMW, Williams, and Renaults toes just yet.

You are all wrong btw, the new car will be called:

Lexus IS500 Type F-spec beta5 Release 3.0b Windows XP TRD

It's worse than SHAWD.

223989[/snapback]

SHAWD is a very good name for what the system does. It makes large sedans/SUV's handle superbly. :AH-HA_wink: :scratchchin:

Reality Check: 

'F' is a reference to F1, as in Toyota's Formula 1 racing team.  The 'F' logo posted above is even derived from Toyota's F1 logo.  The article is wrong in claiming "fast" as what 'F' refers to. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

224065[/snapback]

I don't know if Toyota should be banking on their F1 experience given their recent 2006 performance.

Renault 206

Ferrari 201

McLaren-Mercedes 110

Honda 86

Sauber-BMW 36

Toyota 35

RBR-Ferrari 16

Williams-Cosworth 11

STR-Cosworth 1

There's no way the IS-F will handle better than the M3 or RS4. If it does, I'll eat some crow. The CTS-V and C55 AMG are going to have over 500HP, so I see no reason why they won't be faster. Mercedes has not been known for having the best-handling cars, but I'm confident the CTS-V will handle at least as well as the IS-F, considering how well the current car handles.

224072[/snapback]

I wouldn't assume that the 4,000-lb RS4 with 58/42 weight distribution will handle better than the IS-F. The IS will be the more balanced car.

Anyway, I can't wait to see what they'll do with THIS already brilliant interior. :drool:

The RS4 handles better than the current M3 from what I've read. There's no way the IS-F is going to outhandle the M3. And the IS-F's weight distribution probably won't be that much better. The IS350 is at 52/48, and the front end is only going to take more of the weight when they drop in the bigger engine. It's quite possible that the IS will have about 55/45 or 56/44 weight distribution... not that much better.