Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Josh

Ford Poised for Big Hybrid Push?

9 posts in this topic

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Ford Motor Co. plans to speed up its hybrid strategy and offer the fuel-efficient gas-electric cars on half its models in the next five years, according to a published report.

The Detroit News reported that an announcement on the hybrid push is due Wednesday from Chairman and CEO William Ford Jr.

Ford plans to ramp up hybrid production from several thousand this year to 250,000 by 2010, the newspaper reported.

Ford started selling its first hybrid vehicle, a version of its compact sport/utility vehicle Escape, in August 2004, and a hybrid version of its twin, the Mercury Mariner, in July this year, a year earlier than originally planned.

William Ford has been a longtime champion of environmental causes, but the nation's No. 2 auto manufacturer's main source of profit in recent years has been pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles that get poor gas mileage. But record gasoline prices and concerns that oil prices could stay high in the long term have auto manufacturers and car buyers taking a closer look at fuel economy of vehicles.

The U.S. auto manufacturers have trailed their Japanese counterparts in development and sales of hybrid vehicles.

Even with the new hybrid push by Ford, it won't necessarily close the gap with competitors such as Toyota Motor Co., which announced at the Frankfurt auto show last week that it intends to offer hybrid versions of all of its models, although it did not give a time frame to reach that target. Toyota also said it expects to make as many as 400,000 hybrid vehicles in 2006.

Ford Chief Operating Officer Jim Padilla complained to reporters Tuesday that it could be offering more hybrid vehicles if it weren't for the shortage of specialized components, and he blamed some Japanese auto manufacturers for the shortage.

"It is a supply issue, and it's supply of several technologies," Padilla said at the Reuters Summit in Detroit. "The Japanese have shown a little bit of a predatory approach."

For more information, visit http://www.cnn.com.

If the GM system is as portible as they say. There is no excuse to not begin offering this on every new vehicle save the Kappas and the Vette/XLR unless there are supply problems.

More: Ford said it will have five hybrids on the road by 2008 with the addition of versions of the Ford Fusion, the Mercury Milan and the Mazda Tribute. And by 2010, the company said it aims to have half its Ford, Lincoln and Mercury lineup with hybrid capability.

If the GM system is as portible as they say. There is no excuse to not begin offering this on every new vehicle save the Kappas and the Vette/XLR unless there are supply problems.

[post="17761"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

They do say it's relativly inexpensive, and very portible. Depends how cheap it is, but if it undercuts the price of Toyotas (which it sounds like it does) quite a bit, I think GM might toy with the idea. That would force Toyota to put their high priced system on everything (after they have to re-engineer many of their cars).Ohhhhhhh........I will dream about this tonight. Even if this doesn't happen, I have a felling that the GM alliance on this system is going to come up with something that will make the Toyota system not as competive..........I won't be too excited until I see these things on the showroom floor though.

I have a felling that the GM alliance on this system is going to come up with something that will make the Toyota system not as competive..........I won't be too excited until I see these things on the showroom floor though.

[post="17938"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

2007 Cycle year. They already have it, they just haven't introduced it yet.

Sounds good, if it can deliver real mileage improvements... Ford needs higher mileage in their cars and SUVs to offset the poor mileage of their huge trucks. Edited by moltar

So, if GM adds the shut off starter system & DOD to all their cars, does this count as hybrid systems?

Those things count as "hybrids" to GM now so why not continue with that mindset?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0