Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

I found another vehicle...we approve of it more!!!

It is a 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier sedan. 2.2L 4 cylinder with the 4-speed auto. It has 235,000kms which is about 183,000 miles I believe. The transmission has been rebuilt, the car has had two owners and was bought in my hometown and driven there. It was used as a commuter car to Toronto everyday which is about 90kms one way. The car is in very good running condition, has been e-tested. I dont think the radio works but I wanted to get a new one anyways because I need a CD player. The car does have some body rust but it is minor (surface rust) under the gas tank and on both rear quarter panels. The rockers are also getting a bit rusty but everything else seems solid. They even offered us they could put it on their lift so I saw underneath it today. Not great but alright for a 96. I have pictures which I will post up later. It says $1700 on the car, $1500 on Auto Trader, and they said they would be willing to get rid of it to us for $1000 because they want it off of their lot before it gets too snowy. It seems it has been a there, it is a Volkswagen dealer, they have 2 other Cavaliers, and 1 other Sunfire with another coming in. This one seems to be the best deal but it does have a bit of rust to worry about. My dad wants me to get a car with no rust but he doesn't see that that is almost impossible around here because of the road salt. Anyone know of any problems with these Cavaliers? It also does have ABS. I will post pictures from underneath it later on.

The brake rotors looked pretty good. The brakes dont concern me because we tested them but apparently the cylinder heads crack on the 2.2 and I am not too fond of that. The interior was really comfy though and the engine looked to be in good condition.

hopefully "rebuilt trans" doesn't mean they just poured some sawdust in it to stop it from slipping.

Its a good beater though. They 2.2L are a good engine if properly maintained. With that said change the coolant when you get it.

Well, being a Cavalier owner (of 2, for now)

What do ya wanna know?

1st car-also a cav.

Longtime freakin member of Jbody.org....

I would agree with Cap on the quality...and they usually rust out before they stop

running... (true with the wagon so far..)

The 95-98 crowd tend to be rough on water pumps, and the 2.4 tends to crack

(head) after 100k...

The 2.2 is a good engine- serious lack of power (only 115hp) but will run a long

time with little repairs...

With that many miles-make darn sure you check the hoses and coolant...

Many people are suprised to see rust on those years of car already (95-99)

But the tend to rust quite easily...I've seen a few 98s and 99s with rust starting..

Just wash it as much as possible... :)

Anything else, just let me know...

They do make good beaters though... :)

I can't say anything about the car itself, but if you need a damn good CD player, I have a lightly used top of the line Clarion ProAudio DXZ845MC. Plays MP3 and WMA files, Music Catcher recording, motorized 80 variable color display, personalization text and CD text, CD DVD TV and Sirius control, 53w x 4 power, 6 channel output and Aux input. Only $250! :P

Ick. I have a friend who has one. The interior is trash. Ugly as sin and full of cheap plastics. The engine is very unrefined, and it ain't much of a looker. Still, I guess it's a step up from the Aries you were looking at. What happened to that by the way? Also, check the muffler bracket. It broke clean off his car...rusted in half.

Edited by Dodgefan

Common problem on the later models, for some odd reason.

Wife' 03 had the same issue with the rear ones...ok now..

Yours was an 02, right?

224438[/snapback]

Yes, it was. Still a prominent problem with Malibus and G6s, and some other models, too. I just have bad luck with GM brakes for some reason.

Not mine, I said ours, as in the two that my parents had. They were problem free other than brakes (well, and the tranny on the 96 since my mom learned to drive stick on it... yikes... and the after the 00 had been wrecked twice, it never drove the same). Mine is a different story... I think brakes are the only thing that aren't bad on it. :P

I used to work at a parts store, and the thing i noticed was that i had the head gasket set part number memorized. At least twice a week someone would come in with a cavalier that had a blown head gasket. on the other hand though. i would also talk to people who said they had very few issues with thier cars. They seemed very hit or miss to me.

Edited by rosserman

I used to work at a parts store, and the thing i noticed was that i had the head gasket set part number memorized. At least twice a week someone would come in with a cavalier that had a blown head gasket. on the other hand though. i would also talk to people who said they had very few issues with thier cars. They seemed very hit or miss to me.

224531[/snapback]

Been there done that with a 96 Sunfire 2.2

I think the OP would be way better off with something like a Lumina.

Edited by frogger

$1000 is like $600 too much in these parts.

I've been looking at gorgeous used cars

with less than half that milage for $1500

or so and they're a bit "higher" end cars.

I'd ratehr have a 1970s car with 100,000

miles versus a slightly more "MODERN"

1990s car with almost 200,000. Plus if &

when a repair is needed for some 1982

Cutlass or 1979 Citation it will cost about

40% of what a 1990s car would cost to

repair all else being equal.

Just my :twocents:

Edited by Sixty8panther

I really get a good vibe from this car. I just got feedback from my auto teacher and my physics teacher and they said it looked to be pretty decent for the age. That Aries is still sitting at Hallmark Toyota in Orangeville, I would've liked to try that one to see how much I could get out of a $200 car but my dad said it was too old. It looked not too bad. I am going to see what happens with the Cavalier though.

Have you looked at any Neons? I test drove a first gen while I was looking for a replacement for the Shadow. They're pretty peppy little cars and fun to drive. I've seen them as low as $800 and as high as $1,900 (ripoff, IMO). Seriously, there are better cars out there than a Cavalier. Try looking at a Prizm. I saw one for $895. Needed some work (front bumper was crack and the corner headlight housing needed to be replaced), but it was still decent. I didn't get it cuz it was light blue/aqua and said "Princess" on it :P Still, the Prizm is better than the Cavalier in every way.

Me? I bought a 2000 Dodge Intrepid for $2,100 ^_^

Have you looked at any Neons? I test drove a first gen while I was looking for a replacement for the Shadow. They're pretty peppy little cars and fun to drive. I've seen them as low as $800 and as high as $1,900 (ripoff, IMO). Seriously, there are better cars out there than a Cavalier. Try looking at a Prizm. I saw one for $895. Needed some work (front bumper was crack and the corner headlight housing needed to be replaced), but it was still decent. I didn't get it cuz it was light blue/aqua and said "Princess" on it :P Still, the Prizm is better than the Cavalier in every way.

Me? I bought a 2000 Dodge Intrepid for $2,100 ^_^

224644[/snapback]

A Neon? :huh:

Your kidding, right?

A cavalier is much better car than a Neon, hands down-not matter what year.....

We had a 95...though a lot of fun to drive...I think replaced about HALF the car...

Cavys may be junky, but cost a heck of a lot less to own...

80 percent of the people I know with Cavaliers/Sunfires have had little or

no problem with them...a a few have well over a 100k..one with well over 200k.

I have yet to see a neon make it anywhere past 100k....(ours was already on it

2nd headgasket at 108k... :angry: )

My buddy works at a Dodge dealership...and when I visited him a few days ago,

Their was an 01 and an 04 in with headgasket issues.....

As a beater though, if you can find one a reaplced gasket, or a well taken care

of engine, they do make a fun to drive (or abuse) beater...

As far as a Prism-same problem as the cavalier-good engine- still kinda junky though....though the first ones up to about 97 seen to do quite well....

He might be in better shape with an old Civic.... :(

Sorry DF, didn't mean to tear apart your idea apart.....

I'm just old and long winded... :P

A Neon? :huh:

Your kidding, right?

A cavalier is much better car than a Neon, hands down-not matter what year.....

We had a 95...though a lot of fun to drive...I think replaced about HALF the car...

Cavys may be junky, but cost a heck of a lot less to own...

80 percent of the people I know with Cavaliers/Sunfires have had little or

no problem with them...a a few have well over a 100k..one with well over 200k.

I have yet to see a neon make it  anywhere past 100k....(ours was already on it

2nd headgasket at 108k... :angry: )

My buddy works at a Dodge dealership...and when I visited him a few days ago,

Their was an 01 and an 04 in with headgasket issues.....

As a beater though, if you can find one a reaplced gasket, or a well taken care

of engine, they do make a fun to drive (or abuse) beater...

As far as a Prism-same problem as the cavalier-good engine- still kinda junky though....though the first ones up to about 97 seen to do quite well....

He might be in better shape with an old Civic.... :(

Sorry DF, didn't mean to tear apart your idea apart.....

I'm just old and long winded... :P

224667[/snapback]

Hah well I'll admit the Neon's aren't the greatest for quallity. I knew someone who has a first gen one. I believe the tranny is f@#ked up (same with their 80's Grand Prix), and one of the door panels is falling apart. :P

I can say with experience that Prizms are damn good cars. My gf's 1994 1.6 w/ manual is, while not that fastest car out there, is pretty quick, fun to drive, and has a sweet sounding engine. We had to replace the clutch and the timing belt...plus I replaced a window regulator, rear view mirror, and the driver's door handles (inside and out), but other than that it's been very reliable. The interior is light years better than that of the Cavlier. The engine is a joy to rev and listen to, and has had no mechnical problems. It sounds better and IMO it looks better. It's a very refined car...better than some cars half it's age.

Edited by Dodgefan

First thing I have looked at Neons and no. They are always in terrible condition. Secondly we don't get Prizms and I don't want any Japanese car. The Grand Am is an Ecotec 2.2L with the Getrag 5 speed. It drove a lot of highway kilometres. I dont know where the guy drove to to get that many kilometres though. I will find out some more info. A guy at my work has a Neon and it is crap. They are easy to be broken into as well.

Guest YellowJacket894

Get the Grand Am. It may be well traveled, but, still, if you take good care of it, it's possible you could get another 100,000 miles (kilometers, you know :D) out of it.

Oh, have fun with the Getrag. 8)

Hah well I'll admit the Neon's aren't the greatest for quallity. I knew someone who has a first gen one. I believe the tranny is f@#ked up (same with their 80's Grand Prix), and one of the door panels is falling apart. :P

I can say with experience that Prizms are damn good cars. My gf's 1994 1.6 w/ manual is, while not that fastest car out there, is pretty quick, fun to drive, and has a sweet sounding engine. We had to replace the clutch and the timing belt...plus I replaced a window regulator, rear view mirror, and the driver's door handles (inside and out), but other than that it's been very reliable. The interior is light years better than that of the Cavlier. The engine is a joy to rev and listen to, and has had no mechnical problems. It sounds better and IMO it looks better. It's a very refined car...better than some cars half it's age.

224670[/snapback]

Agreed. The early Prisms are pretty good cars..though at only 115hp, I don't know if I would call it a joy to drive... :P

It's the Prisms after about 97 that were pretty junky.....I looked at a 99 as a beater, and was not impressed at all...

Get the Grand Am. It may be well traveled, but, still, if you take good care of it, it's possible you could get another 100,000 miles (kilometers, you know :D) out of it.

Oh, have fun with the Getrag. 8)

224789[/snapback]

True. That, and you don't have to worry about rust for a while....

Some of the older Ecos are hitting 250 and even 300k with little or no problems...

If they are highway miles, hopefully that means the engine should be in good shape...

Between a $2000 Grand Am, $1000 Cavalier, and $200 Aries, I'd buy the Cavalier AND the Aries. Drive the Aries until it's dead, then have the Cavalier to enjoy. All you need is liability insurance so it won't be much compared to a 2002 model. Heck, I wouldn't even put the Cavalier on your insurance until the Aries stops running.

This way, you have a backup car, and you can still get some money out of the Aries when you're done with it. Take off the useful parts (lights, radio, computer, TBI unit or carb, anything you can sell on eBay) and junk the rest.

Guest YellowJacket894

Yes it is the 2.2L Ecotec. I think the tranny is pretty much gone on those. I also have no clue how to drive a manual but an auto conversion probably couldn't be done right? I may just learn the manual on my neighbour's Mazda Bseries pickup.

It's actually easier than you think. If you can determine where your clutch "lets out" (meaning at what point, after you shift into gear, does your car begin to roll forward or back) you can learn it in no time.

It took me two months to get it right, learning at a pretty slow pace.

My S-10 is a manual. It handles like a GMC Value Van like Aunt Jemima makes maple syrup, but it's a fun drive. If it wasn't for the various cost-of-modifying/restoring and gutless powertrain issues (c'mon, that 2.2 isn't exactly a real inspiring engine, sorry), I wouldn't really be looking for another car this spring (I'm thinking Pontiac on that one).

The Grand Am I believe was just sold. Anyways, I found two other interesting vehicles, a 1993 Corsica LT with 87,000 ORIGINAL KMS. Old lady driven and ownership since brand-new. The car is spotless with just rust along the hood. It has a 3.1L V6 and ABS. I also found a 1997 Pontiac Sunfire where the Aries is and it actually was WWE wrestler Christian's brother's car. Him and Edge are both from my town and their family still lives around here. It has 204,000 kms with a 5 speed 2.2L. There is a huge dent in it though and even comes with a playboy sticker lol. I think I may ask them if they would just give away the Aries. I would probably attempt to safety it or just sell it for parts. It could be worth more than $200 with parts.

Guest YellowJacket894

Just pass on the Corsica. Please. Don't get that desperate. It's like taking Ratchel Dratch to your high school prom when you could have waited for Heidi Klum.

Just wait.

I just looked at the records for the Corsica and 8 turned up. I think I may just get the Aries, they offered me to take it for $150 now so i may get it, let it sit in my garage for the winter and strip it of parts in the spring. It must have more than $150 worth of parts on it.

At $150, why is this even still an issue? It's a hundred and fifty f@#king dollars; it should already be in your driveway! It's not like you couldn't sell it for what you paid for it if you later didn't want it.

The Aries does run in fact quite well. I really want it but my dad has too high of standards even though it is pretty junky. We already have too many cars in our auto shop, a 1997 Saturn coming in soon, 1986 Mustang project with 351 Windsor, and a 2005 Chrysler 300C that was donated by Chrysler. We need our other 3 bays because we are a full-functioning shop. I may just tell my dad I can make more money stripping off parts and then if he lets me get it I will just let it sit and maybe drive it. I would probably use that and then get a better car in the spring or summer.

Whose money is it, yours or his/ If it's yours, buy the damn Aries. $150 is nothing! If it runs and drives just push for the Aries until he caves if it's his money.

On another note, think of the Prizm as GM car with a Japanese engine and tranny. Technically all the body panels are unique to the 93-97 model, as is the dash.

Oh yeah, davers....The 1.6 is pretty entertaining when hooked to a 5-speed manual...I can attest to that ^_^ The 3-speed autobox no doubt kills all the fun though :P