Ward's Ten Best Engines for 2007

Variance

Ward's Ten Best Engines for 2007

Posted Image

*Audi AG 2L turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Audi A3)

*BMW AG 3L DOHC I-6 (Z4 3.0si)

*BMW AG 3L turbocharged DOHC I-6 (335i)

*DaimlerChrysler AG 3L DOHC V-6 turbodiesel (Mercedes-Benz E320 Bluetec/Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD)

*DaimlerChrysler AG Hemi 5.7L OHV V-8 (Chrysler 300C)

*Ford Motor Co. Duratec 35 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Ford Edge/Lincoln MKX)

*Ford Motor Co. 4.6L SOHC V-8 (Mustang GT/Mustang Shelby GT)

*Mazda Motor Corp. 2.3L DISI turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Mazdaspeed3)

*Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Infiniti G35)

*Toyota Motor Corp. 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Lexus IS 350)

Ward,s Auto

will the next lsX engine be on here next year is the big question, oh and the 3.6L v6 lol

why would the 4.6L ford be on here? seriously... yeah it's sounds liek a good performer but why not put the GM 5.3L on here then?

How does the Hemi beat the LS2? Oh right, the name is more famous.

The Mustang engine and Duratec 35 are also questionable.

224676[/snapback]

You're right about the mustang, but have any of us actually Driven a Duratec 35 to be able to comment on it?

You're right about the mustang, but have any of us actually Driven a Duratec 35 to be able to comment on it?

224684[/snapback]

I haven't driven one, but the power is not that impressive considering it's brand new and I haven't being hearing seeing many reviews that rave over it. If it really is that good, then good for Ford, but I have a hard time believing it seeing the stats and lack of rave reviews.

I haven't driven one, but the power is not that impressive considering it's brand new and I haven't being hearing seeing many reviews that rave over it. If it really is that good, then good for Ford, but I have a hard time believing it seeing the stats and lack of rave reviews.

224687[/snapback]

Yeah. There are more efficient V6 engines out there getting more power than this engine. I don't see how it can be on this list..

About the lack of LS2...

Each engine must be available in a regular-production, U.S.-specification model on sale no later than the first quarter of 2007 in a vehicle priced no more than $54,000, a price cap indexed to the average cost of a new vehicle.

It's only available in the Corvette and that's not exactly a regular-production car, I think. How many Corvettes are made a year?

About 35k Corvettes are made per year. I don't think they sell that many Z4s per year and it's on the list.

I think that's the same engine used in the 3-Series.

The LS2 is also in the CTS-V and TB SS.

224701[/snapback]

I thought the CTS-V had a different engine but I completely forgot about the TBSS.

224684[/snapback]

Most reviews haven't been too favorable...

"The [Edge's] new 3.5-liter V-6 is thrashy under full throttle, falling short of the power and refinement standards of Nissan's VQ35 or GM's DOHC 3.6." - M/T, 12/06

"At the track, the MKZ's extra 42 ponies didn't make it any faster than the Zephyr. Quarter-mile and 0-to-60 times wre identical to those of a front-wheel-drive Zephyr we tested in April 2006. The MKZ has 267 more pounds to carry... but its 14.5-pounds-per-horsepower power-to-weight ratio is still better than the Zephyr's 16.0 pounds per horsepower." - C&D, 1/07

Edited by empowah

224687[/snapback]

the edge and Mkx its been driven in its slower because the edge is like 600 pounds more than a montego FWD. the MKz it tested out very well. the Mkz was the first car to get the duratec 35 and its gotten very good reviews.

read ALL the tests, some review give glowing reviews on the duratec 35...some not. just goes to show you they don't even test the cars anymore. M/T's COTY i don't think they did anything but closed course testing around pylons practically.

expect a low-mid 6 time with the duratec 35 in a FWD 3700 pound 500. Like 6.4, 6.5 A tish slower than an Aura perhaps. the Aura is a porker. But wah, its way smaller.

the ford v6 I think gets it maybe because its highly modular and actually only has vvt on the intake side (correct me if i am wrong). What may have appealed to Ward's most was that the Duratec 35 makes the same mpg in the same amount of space as the Duratec 30, while improving hp, smoothness and everything else. Also, it makes it over the honda because if its a Ford, its cheap to make. no VTEC silliness and no premium gas.

But I also think if Ford makes it, so should GM. When both Ford and GM get DI on those engines, look out. the 3.7l Duratec in the MKS with 320hp should make it then.

Edited by regfootball