mustang84

Wards Auto: 2 Ford engines 10 best winners

http://wardsauto.com/home/best_engines_winners/

Ford Motor Co.’s all-new Duratec 35, a 3.5L DOHC V-6 launching as the standard engine in some of Ford’s most critical new models for 2007, the Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX cross/utility vehicles, as well as Lincoln’s MKZ sedan. The powerful and refined new V-6 generates 265 hp and 250 lb.-ft. (339 Nm) of torque.

Ford takes its third consecutive Best Engines award with the 4.6L SOHC V-8 powering the Ford Mustang GT. This new-generation version of the classic muscle-car V-8 continues to impress with its evocative exhaust symphony and, in addition to its standard 300-hp Mustang GT guise, a new, high-output variant that uses Ford Racing performance components to increase horsepower to 32

The winners

* Audi AG 2L turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Audi A3)

* BMW AG 3L DOHC I-6 (Z4 3.0si)

* BMW AG 3L turbocharged DOHC I-6 (335i)

* DaimlerChrysler AG 3L DOHC V-6 turbodiesel (Mercedes-Benz E320 Bluetec/Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD)

* DaimlerChrysler AG Hemi 5.7L OHV V-8 (Chrysler 300C)

* Ford Motor Co. Duratec 35 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Ford Edge/Lincoln MKX)

* Ford Motor Co. 4.6L SOHC V-8 (Mustang GT/Mustang Shelby GT)

* Mazda Motor Corp. 2.3L DISI turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Mazdaspeed3)

* Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Infiniti G35)

* Toyota Motor Corp. 3.5L DOHC V-6 (Lexus IS 350)

This is listed elsewhere.

By the way, it's one thing that there are no GM engines on the list, but it's another thing entirelythat Honda is completely absent as well. :scratchchin:

I think that the Ward 10 best engine award has become suspect. In the past they awarded the IH new diesel for the Ford HD pickups a winner. That engine was so much trouble Ford predominace in that segment has been destroyed. Likewise the warranty claims have been a finacial burden for Ford.

I think that the Ward 10 best engine award has become suspect.  In the past they awarded the IH new diesel for the Ford HD pickups a winner.  That engine was so much trouble Ford predominace in that segment has been destroyed.  Likewise the warranty claims have been a finacial burden for Ford.

225148[/snapback]

hmm, let's base our opinion on an engine ward's once put on their list. kinda don't think they can predict how an engine will perform after some time, so give them a little slack. anyhow, if the 3.5 is half as durable as the 3.0 duratech, it's going to be a very good one. we have virtually zero warranty claims on the 3.0 dohc. as for the 4.6l, that's another one that has been little troube. other than valve seals on the 92-94 motors, the damn things are about bulletproof. i've seen quite a few with a half-million miles on them without rebuild.

hmm, let's base our opinion on an engine ward's once put on their list. kinda don't think they can predict how an engine will perform after some time, so give them a little slack. anyhow, if the 3.5 is half as durable as the 3.0 duratech, it's going to be a very good one. we have virtually zero warranty claims on the 3.0 dohc. as for the 4.6l, that's another one that has been little troube. other than valve seals on the 92-94 motors, the damn things are about bulletproof. i've seen quite a few with a half-million miles on them without rebuild.

225309[/snapback]

that may make them reliable engines, and I won't dispute you there, but that is not the only base that engines get rated on for Wards. The 3800 is reliable too yet it's not on the list because it's not a particularly remarkable engine other than it's been in production for about 40 years.

3.5 and 4.6, good engines, but not remarkable.

hmm, let's base our opinion on an engine ward's once put on their list. kinda don't think they can predict how an engine will perform after some time, so give them a little slack.

But that is exactly the point. How can a brand new engine (IH diesel) be one of the 10 best when they couldn't possibly know if it were exceptionaly good or bad as regards reliability. I'm complaining about the devaluation of the award - not the new Ford engines.

During a 2-month testing period, Ward's editors evaluate each engine according to a number of objective and subjective criteria in everyday driving situations – there is no instrumented testing.  -source

There you have it. No instrumented testing, no in depth dyno analysis, or emissions testing, or reliability testing, or anything to really get a good rating for an engine. Instead, we get a list rated on editor's subjective opinions after driving the vehicle.

The test should be called "Ward's 10 Most Favorite Vehicles", as it has nothing to do with engines more than any other magazine road test.

How can the LS7 or 2.0L Ecotec in the Solstice GXP not be there but the prehistoric Mustang GT is?

225336[/snapback]

The car has to be under $54k for the engine that it is in to be considered. But the LS2 should definitely be there instead of the Ford or Hemi. I don't know why the 2.0 isn't there, unless it's because it's rather low-production.

I think GM could easily have 3 engines on the list. The 2.0, LS2, and L92 (6.2L in the Escalade could easily take the place of the Mustang/Hemi.

The test should be called "Ward's 10 Most Favorite Vehicles", as it has nothing to do with engines more than any other magazine road test.

225370[/snapback]

It seems to me that years ago the award winners had long pedigrees of years, even decades, of exceptional service, relaibilty, and friving characteristics. Thanks for the details.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook