Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Northstar

Fires prompt Mazda5 production halt, recall

15 posts in this topic

By Mark Rechtin Automotive News / September 21, 2005 LOS ANGELES -- Mazda Motor Corp. has stopped production globally of the 2006 Mazda5 minivan and has recalled 2,700 units in North America for exhaust system-related fires. Mazda's North American auto dealers have been ordered to stop selling the minivan until the cause of the fires has been found and a solution is in place. Three fires due to heat buildup in the system have been reported. The six-seater went on sale in June in the United States. Customers were told to return their vehicles immediately. They will be given replacement transportation at no cost. Mazda has told customers they will be without their Mazda5s for at least 30 days. A Mazda spokesman said the production halt affects all Mazda5 vehicles globally. But Japan and Europe have not issued recalls or stop-sale orders, as those countries' versions have different engine specifications and engine management control units. The spokesman said that the cause of the fires has not been determined.

Wow... speaking of fire out of the tailpipe! Well at least Ford... um.. Mazda admit there was a problem, not like the H brand.

This has bad news written all over it. Without their vehicles for at LEAST 30 days? Take it to the dealer immediately? This isn't good. No problem identified, nor a way to fix it (obviously). Bad, bad news.

Bye bye Mazda 5. We barely knew you. On top of it being a vehicle that not many people are aware of nor want, this just ads another obstacle in it's way towards pulling a decent profit. Unfortunately for Mazda, this might be an obstacle they can't overcome.

A friend at work owns one. He said the fires can start if the car has been idling for about an hour in hot climates, and that the issue has something to do with an inadequate heat shield over the exhaust. Probably won't be much of an obstacle to overcome. They just have to get new/re-engineered parts created. Mazda has told these owners that they should be able to get a brand new Mazda MPV off the lot for a replacement, and then those MPVs will be sold as demos......buuuuuut the dealerships don't want to comply and told my friend they would get him a Ford Freestar (is that the name of their minivan?) from Enterprise rent-a-car for a month. He told them that until he get's the new MPV, he will keep driving the 5, and if it catches on fire, he will just have to sue them. And before anyone trys to make this a Ford problem.....the 5 is built in Japan.

I wonder how many Mazda 5 owners will grow to like the MPV's space and comfort (but certainly not its coarse powertrain). Some of the folks may not want their Mazda 5 back.

I wonder how many Mazda 5 owners will grow to like the MPV's space and comfort (but certainly not its coarse powertrain).

Some of the folks may not want their Mazda 5 back.

[post="19027"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

My friend ended up only getting a rental Mazda MPV that has 20,000 miles on it. We just took it to lunch, and he was just making fun of the tranny's rough shifting, and numb steering. It's a cool color blue though. :huh:

My friend ended up only getting a rental Mazda MPV that has 20,000 miles on it.  We just took it to lunch, and he was just making fun of the tranny's rough shifting, and numb steering.  It's a cool color blue though.  :huh:

[post="19037"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

At one time i was hot for an MPV as a family vehicle but it was such an unpleasing drive. Mazda needs to get a clue with that one.

That's strange. My dad's has an '03 MPV that has been solid. Decent power, none of the rough shifts you guys have been having, and a decent ride. Perhaps these were older, pre-facelift versions? I know the old 4 speed MPV's were known for rough shifts and gear hunting, but that was resolved when they added the 5 Speed and Duratec.

That's strange. My dad's has an '03 MPV that has been solid. Decent power, none of the rough shifts you guys have been having, and a decent ride. Perhaps these were older, pre-facelift versions? I know the old 4 speed MPV's were known for rough shifts and gear hunting, but that was resolved when they added the 5 Speed and Duratec.

[post="19149"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

it was an 04 MPV which i did not like. I thought it shifted slow like all Fords and for some reason it seemed to have no sound damping or anything. I didn't like the dash either.

This has bad news written all over it. Without their vehicles for at LEAST 30 days? Take it to the dealer immediately? This isn't good. No problem identified, nor a way to fix it (obviously).

Bad, bad news.

[post="17967"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yep. Isn't Ford's new van going to be off that too?

No one is going to want the Pinto 5 now.....

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room