mustang84

New RWD Lincoln Concept to be at NAIAS

50 posts in this topic

mustang84    12

Saving Lincoln

Despite calls to mothball it, Ford hopes to revive Lincoln as a legit luxury brand. Can a new rear-drive concept do the trick?

At next month's North American International Auto Show, BusinessWeek.com has learned that Ford Motor (F) will show a rear-drive Lincoln concept car. It will be based on the same rear-drive chassis and engineering architecture it is planning for a future design of Ford Australia's popular Falcon model.

Ford has made it clear that it wants to try to revive Lincoln. At the center of debate about the struggling brand's future is whether to bring out a rear-drive design, which luxury car buyers tend to love, or concentrate instead on front-drive and all-wheel-drive vehicles. So far, the front-drive crowd has been winning the arguments at Ford.

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/content/...utos+index+page

Edited by mustang84

turbo200    6

Good. Another car we can add to the Museum of Lincolns We Will Never See. It'll look good between these two...

Posted ImagePosted Image

226769[/snapback]

you know, if Lincoln had actually released these concepts, they might have a credible image in the luxury world today.....instead of just being expensive repackaged Fords with no hopes of competing against the real players whatsoever.

Drew Dowdell    4,997

Insiders, please, answer this. What is soooo hard about making production vehicles at least LOOK like the concept? Sure, I understand we can't have all of the gee wiz technology, but I can't fathom any reason why the Continental pictured above could not have ridden on the DEW98 platform. Give it a standard, but attractive interior, make the rear door normal, put the Duratec 3.5 in there with some V8 as an up model and start selling waiting list slots on Ebay.

Flybrian    0

Well, that Mark X was a rebodied Thunderbird. You can even tell by the general shape. This would've been so hard to make? Even a lousy Town Car guts underneath a sharp Continental body would've been a little better.

turbo200    6

in general, this style would have appealed to a limited audience, it follows a similar theme to the 300 sedan. In general, buyers of European cars would not have flocked to this theme, but certain buyers of Japanese luxury cars looking for luxury and refinement could have been swayed. These would have carved a distinct identity and niche for Lincoln, unlike any other cars on the road. It would have given Lincoln a reason to be relevant unlike now. Also, if they got the dynamics right in smaller models, and the looks right, they could have seriously posed a threat.

91z4me    0

Insiders, please, answer this.  What is soooo hard about making production vehicles at least LOOK like the concept? Sure, I understand we can't have all of the gee wiz technology, but I can't fathom any reason why the Continental pictured above could not have ridden on the DEW98 platform. Give it a standard, but attractive interior, make the rear door normal, put the Duratec 3.5 in there with some V8 as an up model and start selling waiting list slots on Ebay.

226777[/snapback]

The styling isn't what killed these Lincoln concepts it was Nasser or better yet Ford Management's distaste for him. He had the RWD LWB Dew98 Continental, a compact RWD Dew98 sports sedan, and a restyled LS on the board for Lincoln when the tide turned against him. The people who took over when he left scrapped everything he had planned and started their own stuff. That being said I think the auto landscape would be MUCH different if his plans had come to fruition. The RWD Dew98 cars would have beat the Chrysler LX cars to market by a few years and Ford could have used Dew to underpin a Crown Vic replacement.

Edit to add some pics of other Dew based Ford concepts:

Ford Fourty-nine Concept

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ford 427 Concept

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by 91z4me

VenSeattle    8

The styling isn't what killed these Lincoln concepts it was Nasser or better yet Ford Management's distaste for him.  He had the RWD LWB Dew98 Continental, a compact RWD Dew98 sports sedan, and a restyled LS on the board for Lincoln when the tide turned against him.  The people who took over when he left scrapped everything he had planned and started their own stuff.  That being said I think the auto landscape would be MUCH different if his plans had come to fruition.  The RWD Dew98 cars would have beat the Chrysler LX cars to market by a few years and Ford could have used Dew to underpin a Crown Vic replacement.

226828[/snapback]

I AM SOOOO happy to see someone say this! Nasser had a great plan for Lincoln (Mercury would have benefited just by association) but Ford brought all this on Lincoln-Mercury when they pulled it from PAG. I still believe Lincoln's continued development/partnership with Jaguar would have benefited both brands.

Lincoln needs Jag's aluminum platform... not Volvo's.

It will be interesting to see what Lincoln comes up with. I was wondering how long would it take them to consolidate the Ford of Australia platform and the American Ford/Mercury Lincoln cars. It makes sense financially too on a global scale. It also may save the LTD and Fairlane in Australia too. this is a win win situation for all involved. It is just a matter of getting approval from the Ford executives and the general public.

Cadillacfan    0

I think the question we should all be asking is: where does this leave Jaguar if Ford really does intend on making Lincoln a real player in the luxury segment.

Wouldn't the proposed mid-to-large RWD luxury Lincoln sedan directly compete with either the X-type or the S-Type? I don't see the logic in creating an all new sedan to compete with another FOMOCO brand that is already struggling to win back luxury buyers.

Either Jaguar is going to go further upscale or Ford is going to sell it after Aston Martin.

Just one of my crazy conspiracy theories. Speaking of which, I've got a good one on who killed the Roaming Gnome from the travelocity commercials.

Posted Image

Edited by Cadillacfan

I think the question we should all be asking is: where does this leave Jaguar if Ford really does intend on making Lincoln a real player in the luxury segment.

Wouldn't the proposed mid-to-large RWD luxury Lincoln sedan directly compete with either the X-type or the S-Type?  I don't see the logic in creating an all new sedan to compete with another FOMOCO brand that is already struggling to win back luxury buyers.

Either Jaguar is going to go further upscale or Ford is going to sell it after Aston Martin.

226973[/snapback]

Well, the X-type is probably toast.. and I could see some slight price overlap between a top of the line Lincoln and an S-type.

The Chrysler 300 overlaps the Merc C-class, for example, but they really aren't competitors... if Ford doesn't sell Jag, Lincoln could be in the Buick/Chrysler niche--i.e. American luxury car that isn't the top luxury brand of the company.

Edited by moltar

IF the next Lincoln flagship does indeed go RWD....?

WTF? <_< What is the freekin' problem, they have to THINK about it?

MyerShift    7

It's amazing. Why would people scrap great plans just because someone they didn't care for created them?

Ford should have kept foing with RWD Lincoln plans. All of the stuff that seems to be coming right now are tarted-up Fords and tweaked Volvos.

Lincoln could have definitely benefitted from staying linked up to Jaguar. Ford needs to go ahead and develop RWD Lincolns and rebuild the brand's image.

GM did wonders with Cadillac. Couldn't Ford obtain a degree of success in a similar vein with Lincoln?

Here's to hoping!

mustang84    12

Alls I gotta say...

Posted Image

Build this thing, suicide doors and all, and you'll put Lincoln back on the luxury map.

FUTURE_OF_GM    26

I'm excited about this... But it could just be smoke and mirrors like the other ump-teen RWD Lincoln concepts we've been shown..

I think the Mark X would've left the T-Bird in the dust and I would've MUCH rather seen a Lincoln in the vein of the T-Birds characteristics as opposed to the T-Bird we received. I also was a HUGE fan of the 427 and especially Forty-Nine.

I hope this pans out for Lincoln. Ford is thinking global just like GM! It's about time and it looks like things are going to be on an upswing for the domestics PRODUCT-wise for some time to come (So long as they don't "cheap out" on anything.

SableStyle    0

Insiders, please, answer this.  What is soooo hard about making production vehicles at least LOOK like the concept? Sure, I understand we can't have all of the gee wiz technology, but I can't fathom any reason why the Continental pictured above could not have ridden on the DEW98 platform. Give it a standard, but attractive interior, make the rear door normal, put the Duratec 3.5 in there with some V8 as an up model and start selling waiting list slots on Ebay.

226777[/snapback]

I think the problem was its size. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this was a boat, and the concept had 12 cylinders in it. So engineering a new engine to go into a new car that would probably be really expensive and now it's not as attractive.

Alls I gotta say...

Posted Image

Build this thing, suicide doors and all, and you'll put Lincoln back on the luxury map.

227036[/snapback]

Agreed.... just give it a stubby B-post that is super-rigid and

side impact airbags/curtain... 4-dr hardtop w/ suicide doors?

If there's one way to get to a cadillac man like myself THAT

is certainly it... I'd love a retro 1961 Conti.

Edited by Sixty8panther

91z4me    0

I just found the MK9 concept, which I didn't even know about!

Damn this thing looks nice! It was developed with the Continental concept so it was likely Dew based. I know 68 is going to love this a large RWD V8 powered 2+2 seating B-pillarless coupe!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

red    0

The MK9 was gorgeous, and continues to be this day. Would have looked even better had they stuck with the riskier twin-port grill seen in drawings before its release.

Lincoln had all the right tools to reinvigorate the brand - the right platform, the right people, and the right design. Unfortunately, poor decisions made by the Nasser regime and Ford's legendary bureaucratic structure chose to instead put the Lincoln brand on life support - and wait for such a plan to come to fruition again.

I'm hoping this new concept is both a stylistic move in the right direction as do I wish that their will be solid product to follow it. Looking forward to seeing what Horbury & Co. can pull off...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.