Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Beijing Keeping Buick Alive?

13 posts in this topic

Is China keeping the struggling Buick brand alive? A growing number of analysts and investors - including General Motors' former number-one shareholder, Kirk Kerkorian - have been pressing the automaker to dump the troubled nameplate, which has suffered a steady loss in market share.

some highlights from the article:

But several senior company insiders tell TheCarConnection.com that a key reason for keeping Buick alive is the growth potential in another booming market: China. "Killing off Buick here would send the wrong message to China, where it is now the number-one brand," said a senior executive, asking not to be identified by name, during a GM background briefing last week.

For his part, GM CEO Rick Wagoner told TCC that "We'll sell more Buicks in China than in the U.S. this year," and considering the booming new-car market in that Asian nation - which is expected to top 7.3 million vehicles this year - the trend is expected to continue.

Considering Buick's strong position in China, it is not surprising that the Asian nation is coming to play an increasing role in the brand's future strategy. While specific details discussed during the GM background session were revealed on an off-the-record basis, company officials agreed to reveal that a critical future Buick vehicle has been designed by Chinese stylists, who beat out Detroit designers in a competitive face-off. The product will notably reflect the fact that Buick is considered a very up-market brand in China.

The article is here:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_News/...175.A11561.html

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

VenSeattle    8

Yep Yep... 8)

Also see this topic: GM targets smaller, more profitable Buick brand (Don't forget to check out the topic's name-sake Reuter's article)

All this indicates Buick is now and will remain a globally-managed brand. I can't think of a better way to secure Buick's Future :thumbsup:

thegriffon    5

Sadly, it had to get to this point before steering the ship straight.  Good for Buick but why can't Detroit designers be inspired enough to make a stylish Buick.

227056[/snapback]

Maybe it has something to do with a Chinese Lucerne starting at over $29K for a 4-cyl.

Wow... I thought that Kerkorian was all about

revitalizingGM, not killing ANOTHER brand just

to find out it was more costly to do so than to

just make cars that do not suck & merket

them correctly.

If Buick does not outlive me than there's no

justice in the world, it has the potential to be

one of the best Brands in the world.

Cananopie    1

This is the reason why I bet Pontiac, if any brand, gets cut. They aren't global and they have a fuddier image than the new Saturn. Plus Saturn has the ability to sell directly under Buick or $10k+ less than Buick and still be seen in a more positive light than Pontiac in the general public.

Personally I'd rather see Saturn go because that is the exact opposite from what GM needed in the 80s when Saturn started to be made. Spending billions on another car company when you were already losing market share was a poor mistake on the part of GM.

However it's clear that GM has chosen Saturn as a star brand leaving Pontiac with many vanilla vehicles. The Solstice is the one outstanding vehicle Pontiac has, and its clone is of course sold by Saturn... basically saying Saturn can sell anything Pontiac can.

Saturn is GM's choice to begin mass-produced alternative fuel-vehicles for GM (outside of Chevy, which really has hardly even been acknowledged in the regular world) and if Saturn is going to be selling the original GM "green" vehicles, then Saturn has solidified itself in GM's future, especially since Saturn is using architecture from Opel...

Lastly Buick is now part of the Pontiac-GMC dealerships. It'd be very easy to keep dealerships selling vehicles and drop Pontiac as soon as Buick is on more profitable footing. That way there'd be absolutely no overlap in product because I am having a hard time seeing where Pontiac is needed that Chevy or Saturn can't do the same, if not better.

All signs point to GM shutting down Pontiac for good. And the reason it wasn't and won't be Buick is because theres a bigger market for Buick in the largest growing market in the world. There is a very solid direction for each GM company aside from Pontiac. And it won't be the costly nightmare that Oldsmobile was because there are no dealerships to shut down in a few years. They just simply will have to stop making the Pontiac badge.

Edited by Cananopie

AxelTheRed    0

This is the reason why I bet Pontiac, if any brand, gets cut. They aren't global and they have a fuddier image than the new Saturn. Plus Saturn has the ability to sell directly under Buick or $10k+ less than Buick and still be seen in a more positive light than Pontiac in the general public.

Personally I'd rather see Saturn go because that is the exact opposite from what GM needed in the 80s when Saturn started to be made. Spending billions on another car company when you were already losing market share was a poor mistake on the part of GM.

However it's clear that GM has chosen Saturn as a star brand leaving Pontiac with many vanilla vehicles. The Solstice is the one outstanding vehicle Pontiac has, and its clone is of course sold by Saturn... basically saying Saturn can sell anything Pontiac can.

Saturn is GM's choice to begin mass-produced alternative fuel-vehicles for GM (outside of Chevy, which really has hardly even been acknowledged in the regular world) and if Saturn is going to be selling the original GM "green" vehicles, then Saturn has solidified itself in GM's future, especially since Saturn is using architecture from Opel...

Lastly Buick is now part of the Pontiac-GMC dealerships. It'd be very easy to keep dealerships selling vehicles and drop Pontiac as soon as Buick is on more profitable footing. That way there'd be absolutely no overlap in product because I am having a hard time seeing where Pontiac is needed that Chevy or Saturn can't do the same, if not better.

All signs point to GM shutting down Pontiac for good. And the reason it wasn't and won't be Buick is because theres a bigger market for Buick in the largest growing market in the world. There is a very solid direction for each GM company aside from Pontiac. And it won't be the costly nightmare that Oldsmobile was because there are no dealerships to shut down in a few years. They just simply will have to stop making the Pontiac badge.

227352[/snapback]

I agree. Saturn seems to have screwed up the General Motors line-up quite a bit, and like most people, I'd rather have Oldsmobile than Saturn any day of the week, but its swifty becoming hotter than Pontiac. I don't want to see Pontaic go, but you're absolutely right that if they are going to cut something, Pontiac is probably one of the more logical choices (although I think Saab could be sold off without so much as a hiccup from GM).

Edited by AxelTheRed

gm4life    5

Seriously the G6 is selling so well, so is the Grand Prix (even if dated) and the Solstice is stealing sales! Do we really wonder why Pontiac is not dead? And don't sales tell a story, and actually Pontiac is not going any where with a new GP coming (shown at Chicago in 07 I will be their!) and a new GTO coming. Pontiac is going to be GM's fixer upper much as Cadillac was in the early 2000's. I have great faith and killing the Pontiac name would be seen by me as huge mistake. I am begining to like Saturn but if anyone should go its them! As far as Saab they need to keep Saab they are already making profits for a company they acquired not to long ago, and sales keep growing! All that said and done I am a Pontiac man look at my fleet and previous rides, I really believe GM can keep all of its brands if ti keeps giving them new GOOD products in showrooms. If anything Pontiac needs this new GP and advertise the hell out of it and market it at guys who can recall the good ol' days and young people looking for a not so boring V8 powered family sedan. **I will take mine in white with the "small" V8 and a stick shift please!** GM can do it and trust me getting rid of Pontiac at this point when they are doing well still would be stupid. :banghead: That is what I will be doing when Pontiac gets dropped! :yes:

Edited by gm4life

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this