1994 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi Supercharged

I saw this trade-in sitting behind my local Chevrolet dealer and I decided to check it out. It is fully loaded, with the supercharger, auto transmission with normal or perform shift and it is As Is. It doesn't look to have any rust on the body and the paint is in good condition except for some normal chipping. The seats aren't ripped as they are leather and tend to in older GMs. They are selling it for $900 and it has only 209,000kms which is about 127,000 miles. What do you think? Should I go for it? My dad really likes it as well but we need to make sure how it would be on insurance. It will be more expensive because of the supercharger. It is black on beige, has CD and heads-up display,etc.

The car will run just fine without the supercharger if that become inop for some reason. The dealer overgreased or poorly-attached our Bonnie's s/c belt and it flew off a few times.

One thing many don't realize is that the s/c's oil does need to be changed now and then.

That's reeeeeaaaally cheap. The 93 that's just as loaded minus the CD player is $2k and it has 150k miles... and its still under its retail value. I went back to check it out. I almost started a thread about it. I'm on the verge of going back again. I like these Bonnevilles and all their nifty features. But thats the problem. Theyre just an electrical mess waiting to happen. This one, the left turn signal was on the fritz, the rear windows rolled down from the the drivers door but you have to use the rear doors to get them back up, and the trunk button didn't work. Otherwise, they all worked, but playing with them, I couldn't figure out how everything worked. So many buttons and controls and theyre not very intuitive. So, if those electrical glitches disappear, I think I'd go for it. The only other problems I noticed are asthetic. It runs good and its in good condition. The only downside is that there is a glaring difference between the quality of it and my Millenia. The engine was loud, everything was clunky, the interior was pathetic, and as mentioned there electical glitches. It's going to be hard to step down to a low rent car, even one I'd love to one... Damn Millenia. Why must I be bored with it? :P

Guest YellowJacket894

If you don't take it, I will. Seriously. I'll drive up to Orangeville and buy it. That's a deal in which I can't describe with words. I wouldn't pass it up for anything.

YJ-not if I beat you there. :P $900 Canadian's only $781.70 US...

Seriously, I think this is one of the best deals you've found so far. I'd seriously consider this. Those Bonnevilles were very easy on the eyes, and I imagine the supercharged V6 sounds good to the ears.

I need to figure out something before Saturday or this deal isn't going to happen and the car will go to a wholesaler. It was actually traded with a wholesaler today but I am friends with one of the salesperson's son so she turned down the wholesaler to give me a chance.

For $900... get it. It's way better than the Aries or whatever you were looking at.

Plus, it's supercharged. It looks like a fun sleeper.

Just watch those manifolds :AH-HA_wink:

Oh, and razoredge gave a good description on the 3800 SC. Here's the link.

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...ST&f=57&t=12981

Edited by Captainbooyah

I swear that if you dont buy this car I will lose all respect for you and punch you. It really does seem like a good deal. Get it looked over by a mechanic, as long as there are no huge problems, but it. Anything small wrong with it can be fixed cheaply (GMs are good like that) and will end up costing you less than anything nearly as nice.

Sounds like a really good deal, but as everyone else said, have a mechanic check it out.

Over the summer my mom got a 97 SE (I think, it's N/A & has a column shifter) for $2000 and a month later the manifold had a problem, after that the transmission had some sort of issue, both of them had to be replaced. Now, the car runs like a dream. Really nice ride, and it's got some pretty nice power for it's size (yours will have more being supercharged).

Buy It, Buy It, Buy It, Buy It, Buy It, Buy It, Buy it Buy It, Buy It, Buy It, Buy It, Buy It, Buy It, Buy it Buy It, Buy It, Buy It, Buy It, Buy It, Buy It, Buy it Buy It, Buy It, Buy It, Buy It, Buy It, Buy It, Buy it Buy It, Buy It, Buy It, Buy It, Buy It, Buy It, Buy it

:thumbsup:

Did I mention you should Buy It?

State Farm and Allstate are regularly the lowest of the non-Geico/Progressive carriers down here(in my experience at least). I have a friend with an '87 Toyota Corolla hatchback that costs him $400/year to insure with State Farm. I had class with a girl last year who drove a late 90's Avenger (may have been a Sebring coupe, dont remember) and paid $50/month.

DO IT!

As much as I "hate" on these cars for their FWD as far as

a used car value they are not too shabby. $900 is pretty

good for a car that will probably give you a few years of

faithful service & possibly a hundre thousand miles more.

Guest YellowJacket894

I hate to hear that.

Well, in any case, don't get so desperate that you want a Dodge Aries again. :D

Keep working at that auto parts store, save every paycheck, and you can get a decent car for $2000 in no time. (Hell, judging from the deals in your area, I wouldn't doubt that whatever you save up for will be more than decent.)

Guest YellowJacket894

Too bad you can't find a Sunfire. They look much better than the Siamese-eyed jellybean Cavalier.

Well, then again, you could order the parts needed to make it look like the 2003 to 2005 model.

But, ah, screw what I think. If it's what you want, buy it. I'm just someone who likes to mod the hell out of something (without being distasteful, of course). :D

Well I just turned 16 so insurance rates will be higher because of me being a new driver, plus a large car. I got a quote from Allstate and it said $9000.

228447[/snapback]

:blink:

Holy Crap. I'm almost 17 and I only got my license 7 months ago.

How do they expect anybody to afford that? Jeez.

Edited by Farkas

Guest YellowJacket894

Canada may have America beat on a few things -- I'm not ashamed to admit it -- but, damn. Those insurance rates are disgusting.

Consider taking Driver's Ed.? It'll help on your insurance by a few fistfull of bucks.

Well I just turned 16 so insurance rates will be higher because of me being a new driver, plus a large car with a supercharger. I got a quote from Allstate and it said $9000.

228447[/snapback]

How do they expect you to afford that?? I haven't gotten a quote for myself yet, but I'm afraid of what I'll end up being charged...$9,000 Canadian=$7,777.73 US...I don't even have $1,500 to my name.

I guess the insurance companies figure mommy and daddy will be there to take care of Junior/Juniorette's exorbitant rates...I can tell you, my parents won't (and I don't expect them to).

Guest YellowJacket894

Wait a sec -- were the insurance quotes for the Bonnie in your name or your dad's name?

Put it under your dad's name and pay for it yourself. See if that works.

Edited by YellowJacket894

Well...I just decided to see how much Allstate would charge me to insure the Sonoma. I got this in response:

You've indicated a type of risk that Allstate does not insure. For more information, please call 1-877-572-5268. Thank you for considering Allstate.

It seems like we're in the same boat--they consider me too much of a risk, and they make you pay through the nose. Sucks being a teen driver, no?