Fordfan1

Mainstream Mustangs

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...E/61211029/1065

Sedan and wagon models to join coupe as Ford builds on pony car’s strong brand

By GREG KABLE AND BOB GRITZINGER

AutoWeek | Published 12/13/06, 9:15 am et

Ford’s iconic Mustang is poised to play a crucial role in Ford’s future by expanding beyond its traditional role as a single performance figurehead into a complete range of global models. And the company’s Australian arm looks like the source for all the necessary hardware.

HMMMM Now That is a BOLD MOVE!!!

Edited by Fordfan1

Whaaaaat? Sedan and wagon versions...of the Mustang??? ha ha ha ha ha ha....you gotta be kidding me. Put a fork in 'em...they're dooone. Smartest thing they could do is stop building passenger cars and just build trucks, SUV's, and crossovers. Sounds like someone's smoking the grass on the roof of the Rouge plant.

First the Marauder, now this.

Anybody remember when GM was toying with the idea of making Corvette a separate brand, and all the flak they received - IN THE LATE NINETIES? This was a bad idea eight years ago, and it's a bad idea now.

However, if they're talking about using the Mustang platform to make sedans and wagons off of, then that's a different story and an idea that I highly endorse. If it's capable, they should let the Falcon platform become the FMC equivalent of Zeta, spawning variious sized coupes (including the Mustang), sedans, and wagons for consumption across the globe.

Ford execs need to stop smoking the crack. They would totally be diluting the image of the stang.

I’m all for a wagon on the stang chasis like the magnum/charger/challenger combo. Still waitin for GM’s RWD power wagon :(

Edited by Dragon

This Mustang brand sounds like a bad idea when you consider the fact that Ford is still having trouble with the brands that it already has in North America. I believe that GM had messed around with a similar idea with the Corvette a little while back and didn't go through with it. That was a very wise idea.

Ford needs to focus on important things like high volume sedans that appeal globally. They should give design and engineering control of all of its midsize, compact, and subcompact vehicles to Ford Europe. Kind of like what GM is doing with Daewoo. Then Ford of North America can continue to focus on SUVs/Trucks/the Mustang(only one model), and Lincoln. Then when the company start turning a profit, maybe a Mustang brand would be acceptable.

Wow... the Mustang II is rolling over in its grave! :P

I hope this is a joke just like the whole "Corvette Brand"

thing that was a rumor in like 1999. Hilarious either way.

A Mustang-based sedan and wagon? Yes! Bring on compact, mid-size, and large versions (Depending on what D2C can support), but....different names.

The Corvette 'brand' was at least plausable (I liked the idea, actually-- imagine an entry-level Kappa-based 'Corvette Stingray', the regular Corvette, the Z06, then the top-of-the-line 'Blue Devil'. Something like how Porsche used to be---an all-sports car brand before they lost their way with the Cayenne.

But Mustang sedans and wagons? Madness... I could see sedans and wagons using the Mustang platform but with their own identity..

The Corvette Brand, as reported by the major car-raggs

was to consis of an ENTIRE lineup of 2/4 door sedans,

not just sports caars. That's why people got pissed.

A Mustang Wagon is just as dumb as a Corvette Minivan.

I doubt either will come to fruition, ever.

Now if Ford uses the Mustang platform, that's a different story.

What in the HELL??

This is on the same level of stupidity as when they planned to make the FWD Probe the Mustang replacement in the early 90s. Stupid stupid stupid.

I don't care if they use the Mustang platform to make a sedan and wagon, but in the holy name of God, do not use the Mustang name on anything other than a 2-door coupe and convertible.

Stupid stupid stupid.

If the sedan and wagon are Mustang-based, then I have no problem with this. However, if Ford builds a D2C sedan/wagon and slaps a Mustang badge on it...that's another story. If they want a RWD sedan or wagon, just bite the bullet and give us something on Orion.

There's so many names for them to choose from for a Mustang-based sedan and wagon...

Torino

Falcon

Thunderbird

Fairlane

Galaxie

Maverick

Capri

Why muck up the Mustang name?

A sedan and wagon BASED on the Mustangs platform and driving characteristics.

YES!

A Mustang wagon and sedan.

HELL NO!!! What the hell are these people thinking???? I'm SERIOUSLY beginning to question Fords managment now.

A Mustang wagon and sedan.

HELL NO!!! What the hell are these people thinking???? I'm SERIOUSLY beginning to question Fords managment now.

227411[/snapback]

Just now? I was doing that when it became obvious they had no idea what to do with Lincoln.

YOU HAVE TO BE EFFING KIDDING ME!!!

YEAH THAT'S A WONDERFUL IDEA IF THEY WANT TO LOSE THE MUSTANG'S FAN BASE IN ONE SWOOP, WHILE GAINING NOTHING. WHO WANTS A 300 HORSEPOWER WAGON?

WORST IDEA IN THE HISTORY OF FORD, NO DOUBT ABOUT THAT! I HAVE BETTER IDEAS ABOUT GAINING MARKET SHARE AND POPULARITY AND IT NEVER ONCE MESSED WITH THEIR BEST RECOGNIZED, BEST SELLING BRAND.

Just now? I was doing that when it became obvious they had no idea what to do with Lincoln.

227416[/snapback]

I figured I'd give them the benefit of the doubt, since they were short on funds. But this... This is just a stupid move.

P.S. Love the signature... Can't wait for Futurama to return in 2008!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook