FIRST LOOK: 2008 Chevrolet Equinox Sport

Variance

GM @ NAIAS

2008 Chevrolet Equinox Sport Press Release

:forum:2008 Chevrolet Equinox Sport Image Gallery

DETROIT – Chevrolet announced the new 2008 Equinox Sport, a performance-oriented variant of the popular compact SUV.

It has an aggressive stance and a sporting nature, thanks to a lowered suspension, bold 18-inch wheels, a powerful, 263-horsepower (196 kW) DOHC engine – backed up with a six-speed automatic transmission with manual tap up/tap down control – a tuned exhaust and unique exterior appointments. Details such as body color fascias and the elimination of the roof rack contribute to the sleek design, making the Equinox Sport an uncompromising performance vehicle.

“The Equinox Sport embodies all of the value-driven performance ingredients that have made Chevrolet the brand for performance enthusiasts of all walks of life,” said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. “Better still, customers don’t have to sacrifice the versatility they expect from the Equinox – they simply get an SUV that hauls their friends and cargo with head-turning style.”

The 2008 Equinox Sport is scheduled to arrive at Chevrolet dealerships in the third quarter of 2007. Front-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive models are available.

Design details

Using Chevrolet’s popular Equinox SUV as the foundation, the Equinox Sport delivers a performance-inspired appearance, with body colored front and rear fascias and a body color grille cross bar. The front and rear fascias have trapezoidal design cues; the front fascia uses silver-painted trapezoidal air inlets, while the rear fascia features dual chrome trapezoidal-shaped exhaust outlets.

The Equinox Sport’s performance-oriented look is enhanced by eliminating the roof rack, although it is offered as an option. Also, 18-inch flangeless, high-polished forged aluminum five-spoke wheels, mounted on P235/50R18 tires, complement an aggressive stance.

Inside, the Equinox Sport has standard all-Ebony trim and appointments all its own. New seats with bolsters that enhance lateral support during quick cornering maneuvers are standard, with perforated leather-covered versions available. It also has a leather-wrapped, four-spoke steering wheel and specific instruments, including a 140-mph speedometer. The shifter also is unique to the Equinox Sport, as it is a J-gate design that enables precise control of the six-speed transmission’s fully automatic or manual tap-up/tap-down features.

Standard features also include those for which the Equinox is already known and appreciated: five-passenger seating with a Multi-Flex, split-folding rear seat, flat-folding front passenger seat , power door locks with remote keyless entry, power windows, air conditioning, tilt steering, rear liftgate with defogger and washer/wiper, and an AM/FM/CD/MP3 stereo with six-speaker audio system. XM Satellite Radio and remote vehicle starting also are standard. Available options include a power sunroof, Pioneer seven-speaker audio system and OnStar with Turn-by-Turn Navigation.

Performance

GM’s high-feature 3.6L V-6 powers the Equinox Sport. It is a DOHC engine with variable valve timing that delivers 263 horsepower (196 kW)* and 250 lb.-ft of torque (342 Nm)* – a 42-percent power increase over the Equinox LT. The 3.6L engine is paired with a new Hydra-Matic 6T70 six-speed automatic that provides an excellent balance between performance and fuel economy. This powertrain combination delivers performance that would be the envy of many sports cars, with an estimated 0-60 mph time of less than seven seconds.

The Equinox Sport’s underhood acumen is complemented with a performance-tuned suspension. A long, 112.5-inch (2,857 mm) wheelbase and wide, 61.8-inch (1,569 mm) track give the Equinox a stable, confident road feel, while the Sport’s lowered ride height, specific shock tuning, control arms and larger, solid stabilizer bars add to its more responsive, sporting driving experience. The overall ride height is reduced by about 1 inch (25 mm).

The front suspension has a MacPherson strut design with new control arms and stiffer, hydraulic bushings and slightly stiffer springs. The rear suspension features a four-link independent layout with stiffer bushings.

GM’s innovative StabiliTrak electronic stability control system, front and rear disc brakes with four-channel ABS and tire pressure monitoring system all are standard on the Equinox Sport – as they are on all Equinox models for 2007. On AWD models, the automatic all-wheel drive system has no buttons to push. It engages automatically when wheel slip is detected.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Chevrolet is America's No. 1-selling automotive brand. With the largest dealer network in the United States , Chevrolet is the leader in full-size trucks and the leader in sales of vehicles priced $35,000 and above. Chevrolet delivers more-than-expected value in every vehicle category, offering cars and trucks priced from $9,995 to $78,175. Chevrolet delivers expressive design, spirited performance and great value with standard features usually found only on more expensive vehicles.
</span>

*Pending SAE certification.

Specifications

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

only thing i have to say that's out of place for me is the cross bar 1/2 way through the lights.... either go all the way through them or not. totally looks like the TB SS... well mostly. :lol:

welcome addition over the base model. they going to give it the 3.5 instead of the 3.4 like the vue now too?

i wonder what it would take for it to be a serious SS if gm decided to? the 275hp 3.6L w/ awd standard?

Seems decent. I hope it does well in handling and acceleration tests. Probably a good thing they dint call it "SS", but "RS" would have been cool. "Sport" seems a bit generic. Edited by ocnblu

Like the gauges and interior. I wish that horrible bar across the nose would be gone, but I guess we have to deal with it until Pontiac doesn't have something that looks so close to Chevy's.

The V6 in the VUE is a 3.5 and a Honda engine.

The 3.6 in the NOS (great nickname, huh?) is a GM mill.

227938[/snapback]

I think he meant the new Vue. It doesn't retain Honda's J-Series engine.

Isn't this variant of the HF 3.6L the standard engine in the single-exhaust Outlook? That might explain it, since I think that's rated at 263 HP as well.

The V6 in the VUE is a 3.5 and a Honda engine.

The 3.6 in the NOS (great nickname, huh?) is a GM mill.

227938[/snapback]

from the press release 2008 vue

Vue XR and Vue Red Line, are powered by GM’s sophisticated, high-feature 60-degree dual overhead cam 3.6L V-6 VVT that delivers 250 horsepower (186 kW) at 6,500 rpm* and 243 lb.-ft. (329 Nm) of torque at 4,400 rpm.*

this is what i was talking about. :)

from the press release 2008 vue

this is what i was talking about.    :)

227950[/snapback]

My mistake. Considering what DetroitNut has stated above I guess they didn't want the Vue steeping on the Outlook's toes? Though, I'm not sure that could be the case since they are dissimilar enough, IMO.

My mistake. Considering what DetroitNut has stated above I guess they didn't want the Vue steeping on the Outlook's toes? Though, I'm not sure that could be the case since they are dissimilar enough, IMO.

227956[/snapback]

i agree.... seems like they're either limited to much w/ the 260ish hp motor from stock or make a "seemless transition" to the gm motor as far as hp goes? still seems kinda silly. wonder if what your saying is true or just a bean-counter move....

Just wish they could have squeezed 6 more ponies out of it to shut the Toyota RAV4 lovers up. Otherwise it looks good.

228092[/snapback]

SAE numbers I think are not out yet. It may gain some HP.

Why didn't it get the 275hp version as in the new Lambdas?

Propbably the way the exhaust might be set up. Remeber Lamdas were rated 265 hp before the SAE ratings and they jumped to 270 for single exhaust Outlook and 275 for twin exhausts.

• 5 weeks later...