"SS" Won't Go On Just Anything Anymore

Variance

"SS" Won't Go On Just Anything Anymore

Posted Image

General Motors Corp. is rethinking the way its uses the SS moniker that has adorned souped-up Chevrolets since 1961.

SS -- for super sport -- has traditionally signaled performance versions of vehicles like the Camaro, Impala and most recently the Cobalt sedan.

The automaker felt it was getting a bit carried away with the label after putting it on the most recent version of the Malibu midsize sedan. So now only cars with the best horsepower, braking power and handling will get the title.

It's part of GM's bid to stoke sales by building exclusivity into some models, a move the automaker hopes will burnish the overall image of a brand and make other vehicles from the same nameplate more attractive to buyers.

"Not every car that has some extra features and fancy racing stripes can be an SS," said Ed Welburn, GM Design global vice president.

GM will start the transition with the introduction next year of a new sport version of the Equinox compact SUV. The vehicle will have 42 percent more horsepower than the basic Equinox and other performance enhancing features, but will be labeled a sport as opposed to an SS. At the same time, GM will no longer offer a SS version of the Malibu.

"That's one that probably shouldn't have gotten the SS label," Chevrolet Marketing Director Cheryl Catton said.

The Detroit News

How about the whole Z/24, Z/26, Z/34 nomaclature...

I think it would be more appropriate.

So... I wonder if this will cause any change for the upcoming HHR "SS"?

228247[/snapback]

Why? 260 HP and a suspension that was tuned at the ring not fit the performance requirement?

I will bet this car would out run a Mustang GT at VIR just as the 205 HP Cobalt SS did.

That would be enough to earn a SS badge in my book.

Wonder why it took them until this point...the response, such from Welburn, is OBVIOUS, but it kinda makes you wonder what was going on internally that it wasn't obvious to them several years ago.

Oh well, either way, I guess it's a good move.

I think (or actually hope) that this is an indication of better brand management coming from the General. The abuse of the SS label over the years tarnished it quite a bit IMHO. In the glory years of the 60s, SS truely meant something beginning with the 409 Impala SS to the Chevelle SS 396 to the Camaro SS ... and for Pete's sake something with 4 doors should never have an SS tag let alone a truck. :duh:

I think (or actually hope) that this is an indication of better brand management coming from the General.  The abuse of the SS label over the years tarnished it quite a bit IMHO.  In the glory years of the 60s, SS truely meant something beginning with the 409 Impala SS to the Chevelle SS 396 to the Camaro SS ... and for Pete's sake something with 4 doors should never have an SS tag let alone a truck.  :duh:

228572[/snapback]

i thuroughly enjoyed my 1990 ss 454. the only thing i didnt mess with in my highschool parking lot was a friends 1970 gs 455

post-2190-1166304843_thumb.jpg

I am for this move. "RS" should come back and be used on all sporty Chevys below ultimate-performance models. Cobalt RS 2.4L coupes and sedans, this new Equinox, Malibu, the upcoming Camaro... all could be appropriate wearers of the badge.

Thank goodness!

I agree in that "Z" designations would be better than SS for the mere sporty models, or the Sport label itself.

Or of course RS, or RS with the engine size, like RS 2.4.

If they do fix the Cobalt's labelling, the SS would become Z24 or Sport and the SS Supercharged would become simply SS.

Edited by MyerShift

I think (or actually hope) that this is an indication of better brand management coming from the General.  The abuse of the SS label over the years tarnished it quite a bit IMHO.  In the glory years of the 60s, SS truely meant something beginning with the 409 Impala SS to the Chevelle SS 396 to the Camaro SS ... and for Pete's sake something with 4 doors should never have an SS tag let alone a truck.  :duh:

228572[/snapback]

If ANYTING the SS name plate was resurging. The 60's SS cars you mentioned weree fast if equiped with the right engines. The Camaro SS 350s are slower then my Cobalt 2.4 SS.

Lets keep some prespective here...way more lower powered SS cars were sold in the 60's then the fast ones. As for G-body Monte Carlo SS and 454 SS P/U---they were about the low point. Not bad for the day but hardly fast.

If ANYTING the SS name plate was resurging. The 60's SS cars you mentioned weree fast if equiped with the right engines. The Camaro SS 350s are slower then my Cobalt 2.4 SS.

Lets keep some prespective here...way more lower powered SS cars were sold in the 60's then the fast ones. As for G-body Monte Carlo SS and 454 SS P/U---they were about the low point. Not bad for the day but hardly fast.

228801[/snapback]

Granted there were some SS packages in the 60s that were merely cosmetic. However, few would go ga-ga over an SS 283 these days. SS 396 or 427 Chevelle, Camaro or Nova with the complete performance package ... yeah baby! The memories bring tears to the eyes of a SS lover now middle aged and driving a Buick. :)

Edited by BuickBoy

• 3 weeks later...

I would have to go with the RS moniker for the "sport" models of certain vehicles. The Z idea would also work, if done right. a Z24 powered Cobalt would be fun, but so would an RS Cobalt. Maybe, just maybe, there could be a difference between the two, the more or less stock Cobalts with the larger engines get the Z moniker, meanwhile the ones with a tuned suspension get the RS designation, that would leave the full-out, supercharged, or turbocharged models of the Cobalt to get the SS label. Opinions?

• 1 month later...

What's everyone's thoughts on the RS label, like on the non supercharged Cobalt SS?

I always would have prefered that for the 2.4 Cobe. Only the blown Cobe should have the SS tag.

Not much of the rest of the current Chevy lineup is sporty enough to get performance tags of any kind.

But wow, they must really not have been feeling the Malibu (though I do agree it wasn't THAT potent to be called an SS...wasn't like it was kicking 275-300 horses)

I see the SS badge akin to Chrysler's SRT moniker.