C&G Spy Shots: The Next ION!

Guest Josh

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i can't say this wows me.  I don't like the Maxima/Altima sort of sweep of the doors into the dash (in fact, i fricking hate it), and the interior itself isn't wow, except that I like the gauges.  The gaps and QC look rather atrocious.

[post="18452"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

What are you talking about? The gaps looks fine, and considering they still have two years until production, they'll be even tighter on the production version.

Beautiful. The kind of car Saturn and Chevy and Pontiac should have on their showroom floors NOW, but as usual just too dam slow. I can't understand why pictures of a car that is still 2 years away are even out.This car should be debuting in January in Detroit and going on sale in February. I don't see how they can build this in Lordstown since they should be able to max out production capacity next year with the Cobalt and Pursuit, how can they find another 100k - 150k for this new Saturn? I mean if the Ion can sell 100k-115k a year this car will have no problem doing 125k-150k. Edited by I hope GMRULES again

I assume this Ion will get the 2.2 and 2.4 Ecotecs? It's a shame people complained about the 5-speed autos, because now that the new 06 Civic has one, everyone will claim it's a "segment-leading" feature that other people could learn from :rolleyes:

Hopefully the production model will have more interesting headlamps to distinguish it from the Cobalt. This is just a Cobalt with a different set of front and rears. The interior is nice but, ditto on the wierd lookin' vents either side of the car. What is weird is that if this is actually an Opel, it doesn't match their interior design language and will feel out of place in their line-up. The recently released Vectra looks nothing like this inside or out.

The interior looks great. I'd like to see a picture of the couple...or even better yet, the 2/3 door hatchback. Especially with Gas prices going so high and SUV sales dropping, those looking for some added utility and storage room in the back (for small projects), a hatchback would be great.

Pre-production Chevrolet Vectra, and it's a version of the new A-body Astra (right down to interior details), not the Vectra. Later photos are slightly different.

[post="18917"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Almost correct. It is indeed based off the Astra, not the GM2900 Vectra nor Epsilon Vectra. However, it is not based off the new (GM3300) Astra. Instead, it's off the GM3000 (previous generation Opel-Vauxhall Astra which is still produced in Sao Caetano do Sul in Sao Paulo state). There still seems to be some confusion surrounding that point in the marketplace.

When I lived in Brasil, I drove a beautiful blue 2900 Vectra equipped with a V6 engine (one of only a handful in Brasil). It was available to the public only with an I4. This was 1996-1998. The "Novo Vectra" as it was called then was something hot. It had been unveiled in Europe only months before and Hogan brought it fresh to Brasil. It sold like mad - nearly 90,000 in 1997 alone. The market has sinced changed and the Vectra has aged. Unfortunately, Brasil did not receive the updated Epsilon version due to financial difficulties, so the 2900 was allowed to whither a bit on the vine down there. It was a shame to see 86,800 units in 1997 deteriorate to only 3,759 last year. It was all the more sad to see given the newer product many of the French automakers were fielding in the Vectra's arena.

So GM do Brasil was forced to do something about this. They looked at bringing the Epsilon Vectra which would make sense at 80,000 units, but it was determined to be doubtful the Vectra could regain that amount of sales in a shrinking product segment. Studies also showed the Vectra name to have a significant amount of cache with Brasilians due to its having been incredibly modern upon its 1996 debut (when the car was launched with great fanfare on an island just off the coast of Rio de Janeiro in '96, it was seen as heralding a new era in the Brasilian automotive industry in which automakers would bring their latest and greatest product immediately ashore).

The decision, then, was a compromise - to field a "Vectra" sedan as much larger than the CURRENT FOR BRASIL Astra as feasible while utilizing its platform. It was a good effort. Wagoner & Lutz praised the innovative engineering-on-the-cheap earlier this year in SP. GM do Brasil is looking in many ways like Holden in their ability to field different models off existing platforms and this comes on the heels of its successful involvement in Meriva engineering & design. Alas, though, the 2900 will finally be retired. In fact, it already has been. It was a good run.

H.H.

Almost correct.  It is indeed based off the Astra, not the GM2900 Vectra nor Epsilon (GM3200) Vectra. However, it is not based off the new (GM3300) Astra.  Instead, it's off the GM3000 (previous generation Opel-Vauxhall Astra which is still produced in Sao Caetano do Sul in Sao Paulo state). There still seems to be some confusion surrounding that point in the marketplace.

[post="18964"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The A3300 Opel Astra is based on a stretched version of the T3000 Astra platform, as was already used in GM do Brasil's T3000 Chevrolet Astra (and thus the RHD South African Opel Astra), so of course the A3310 Chevrolet Vectra also uses an updated T3000 Astra platform even though it is a sedan version of the A3300 Opel Astra. The A3310 Vectra shares the majority of the A3300 Astra structure and design inside and out, but the platform is not really that much different than the T3000. Although the new Astra and Vectra are nominally A-bodies, just like the Delta-platform Cobalt and Ion, neither Opel nor GM do Brasil wound up adopting the new platform as originally intended.

In all this excitement, I've just got to say, I wish I knew what searches to run to find out all this information as you continue to do time and time again. I've just got to say kudos to Josh and whoever else (if anyone) was involved for finding this and sharing with the rest of us.

CSpec is the man behind this. It's unfortunate that I forgot to mention that, but the man that found the GMT900 information found this information (and more that we CAN'T talk about!) from General Motors. He's the man!

The A3300 Opel Astra is based on a stretched version of the T3000 Astra platform, as was already used in GM do Brasil's T3000 Chevrolet Astra (and thus the RHD South African Opel Astra), so of course the A3310 Chevrolet Vectra also uses an updated T3000 Astra platform even though it is a sedan version of the A3300 Opel Astra. The A3310 Vectra shares the majority of the A3300 Astra structure and design inside and out, but the platform is not really that much different than the T3000. Although the new Astra and Vectra are nominally A-bodies, just like the Delta-platform Cobalt and Ion, neither Opel nor GM do Brasil wound up adopting the new platform as originally intended.

[post="19043"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Right. My understanding is that, despite the code, cost consideration precluded GM do Brasil from adopting a wholesale iteration of the lastest Opel / Vauxhall Astra and instead a significant amount of the engineering originated from GM do Brasil and is unique to this particular product. Much development took place at the Cruz Alta GM Proving Grounds without the expected level of assistance from Adam Opel.

hhhhhhmmmmmm......... sure could use a new name.  What'd you think Evoke? http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/AH-HA_wink.gif

[post="19054"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's what I was thinking! Especially since I saw it trademarked a while ago. Now what body styles would Evoke come as in addition to a 4-door notchback sedan? I'm safe to assume they're dropping the 4-door Quad Coupe, right?

This is a very impressive turnaround for the division. their intent i believe is to "reinvent" the Olds name plate as Saturn and now A division wide upgrade (and a fantastic upgrade it most definatly is) to me makes that fact even more apperent,IMO.A record turn around at that, a clean sweep across the whole line up.Quality leaps and bounds above former nameplates is a must to keep in line with their intent and that too seems to be as well. Bravo General B)

Neat. Kinda looks like a miniature Aura. It also has a little Cobalt DNA, but in the same way the Aura has Malibu DNA (i.e: the stuff you wouldn't notice unless you were really paying attention).

It is a huge improvement over the current ION, but, really guys, pretty much anything would've been a huge improvement over the current ION. The problem with the ION was twofold: It was an ugly, dorky looking car inside & out, and it had ugly, dorky, econobox performance to match. This new car (whatever it may be called) certainly rectifies the first issue, but I don't know about the second part. In terms of handling and performance, the Delta platform really hasn't impressed me. It would take some signifigant re-tuning to make this car one that would be enjoyable drive, and, somehow, I suspect that GM has only budgeted for a total re-styling.

Would I be ashamed to be seen in this car? No. Would I be ashamed to drive it? Well...

In terms of handling and performance, the Delta platform really hasn't impressed me. It would take some signifigant re-tuning to make this car one that would be enjoyable drive, and, somehow, I suspect that GM has only budgeted for a total re-styling.

Would I be ashamed to be seen in this car? No. Would I be ashamed to drive it? Well...

[post="20214"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Have you driven a Cobalt SS yet? They do corner work better than most other sport compacts including the Acura RSX.

Have you driven a Cobalt SS yet?  They do corner work better than most other sport compacts including the Acura RSX.

[post="20293"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I haven't. And most people won't. That's why the regular models need to handle better. There's no reason why GM should make this car "just good enough", because, by the time the next generation of competitors arrives, the point at which a car is just good enough will have changed. You've gotta stay a step ahead.

I haven't. And most people won't. That's why the regular models need to handle better. There's no reason why GM should make this car "just good enough", because, by the time the next generation of competitors arrives, the point at which a car is just good enough will have changed. You've gotta stay a step ahead.

[post="20337"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Actually most people who care about handling will test drive it, the SRT-4, the RSX-S, Civic SI, Evo, and WRX or STI.

Those who don't care much about handling will test the Base or midlevel: Cobalt, Civic, Neon, Focus, Lancer, or Imprezza.

The didn't make a car 'just good enough' they made the best for the buck, that is totally different. If YOU choose to judge them without driving them then you are just being stupid.