Sign in to follow this  
Variance

Volvo Thinking Outside the Box

17 posts in this topic

Variance    0

Volvo Thinking Outside the Box

Posted Image

"In recent years, we have successfully emphasized the Scandinavian characteristics that base prestige on timeless, functional elegance," said Steve Mattin, Volvo's director of design. "Now we're elevating our design DNA to an entirely new level by literally pumping up our cars' visual volume. "It is time to once and for all forget all about boxy Volvos."

The Detroit News

Uh, just because they're not BOXY doesn't mean that they won't still be ugly as sin.

228259[/snapback]

I've never thought of them as ugly..the old ones were boxy and functional, some of the newer ones (V70 XC, C70, S60, S80) looked great, IMHO..

MyerShift    7

I can't think of any modern Volvo that is ugly.

The S40/V50/C70/C30 camp are all thoroughly attractive Swedish sirens.

Edited by MyerShift

224/240 was still the best Volvo ever made, and it was a

true marvel in safety and durrability, another one of the

"unibody" cars that's actually tough as nails because it

has a frame stamped into its undercarrige that is a lot

closer to a B-body than most of today's "unibody" cars.

The 960 was a great car too, RWD & that great Inline-Six.

I loved that ad as a kid where Volvo talked about the B.S.

that is FWD and ithe benefits of RWD and how Volvo will

stick ot their principles and not make FWD like the rest of

the "followers". Then a few years later the 850 Changed

all that and now Volvo is just another overpriced Ford. :(

titan    0

For those who haven't checked it out yet, go to the Volvo section and check out the thread I started for the new Volvo XC60 crossover. Volvos are definitely good looking now.

balthazar    1,882

>>"timeless, functional elegance"<< has never been descriptive of volvos. Well... 'functional' I'll not argue with, but 'timeless elegance' is a joke. "dated, functional stodginess" is far closer to reality.

I loved that ad as a kid where Volvo talked about their superior construction and safety by placing a box truck on the roof of one of their lunchbox sedans (the suspension never even compressed), then it was revealed that the lunchbox had steel reinforcement beams welded inside the vehicle to support the truck's weight. Yep, volvo has always stood for integrity for me (figuratively & literally).

This is the only Volvo Cross Country I recognize!

Now THAT is form follows function.

Posted Image

See I thought the suspension was not supporting the car,

if it was the tires would be flat & wheels would be 60%

inside the wheel wells esp. on the bottom car. But if the

shell of the car was reinforced than what the hell is the

point of the ad???

PLus they call it a HARDTOP? NOT QUITE! <_<

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

pow    106

>>"timeless, functional elegance"<< has never been descriptive of volvos. Well... 'functional' I'll not argue with, but 'timeless elegance' is a joke. "dated, functional stodginess" is far closer to reality.

228510[/snapback]

Modern Scandinavian design has been a Volvo hallmark beginning with the S80. The S60, XC90, S40, and C70 have only improved.

Posted Image

MyerShift    7

Ooh, that looks so nice. Too bad there just isn't a coupe or hatch version of it. No, has to be a multipurpose thing to make things simpler,

balthazar    1,882

>>"Modern Scandinavian design has been a Volvo hallmark beginning with the S80."<<

That one you posted isn't bad, not neccessarily aspirational or even particularly distinctive, but it's not bad. However, my comment was directed at the description that volvos are "timeless". It usually take the passage of some degree of...... time..... before a design is judged to be timeless.

By the way, there's absolutely nothing 'scandinavian' about the design whatsoever. As my wife just said after viewing the pic (first with the grille diagonal masked, then unmasked) :"There's nothing special or oustanding or memorable about it compared to anything else on the road today."

Ironically, volvo, who hung on to the sharp-edged car decades after it became unfashionable, has just recently taken a wack at some softer lines & curves, right after the tide began to shift back to sharp edges again. Funny stuff.

Flybrian    0

Elegance? Dubious.

Timeless? That describes a type of car whose design is something that transcends its period. I prefer 'iconic' as that's a more accurate, functional description of Volvos. But only in reference to these...

Posted Image

...because let's face it, that is what you think of when you think of a Volvo.

pow    106

>>"Modern Scandinavian design has been a Volvo hallmark beginning with the S80."<<

That one you posted isn't bad, not neccessarily aspirational or even particularly distinctive, but it's not bad. However, my comment was directed at the description that volvos are "timeless". It usually take the passage of some degree of...... time..... before a design is judged to be timeless.

By the way, there's absolutely nothing 'scandinavian' about the design whatsoever. As my wife just said after viewing the pic (first with the grille diagonal masked, then unmasked) :"There's nothing special or oustanding or memorable about it compared to anything else on the road today."

Ironically, volvo, who hung on to the sharp-edged car decades after it became unfashionable, has just recently taken a wack at some softer lines & curves, right after the tide began to shift back to sharp edges again. Funny stuff.

228665[/snapback]

Funny stuff. I find the C70 aspirational, distinctive, and Scandinavian... we'll agree to disagree.

pow    106

Elegance? Dubious.

Timeless? That describes a type of car whose design is something that transcends its period. I prefer 'iconic' as that's a more accurate, functional description of Volvos. But only in reference to these...

Posted Image

...because let's face it, that is what you think of when you think of a Volvo.

228679[/snapback]

The 240s are even more iconic. Especially the wagons.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this