Company hired to build US "Border Fence"

avant1963

oh my childish wittle moderator, hiding behind his cute little mockery. GROW UP  ! then maybe your "thoughts" will clear and you will be able to process information as its intended.

OK babycakes, now here....... lets  :pbjtime:

228926[/snapback]

I notice you keep avoiding the question lover? 9th grade drop out were ya?

That won't work. These guys tried it...

Posted Image

...and it didn't work for them either.

229120[/snapback]

geeze........once again my 7th grade ed. prevails :)

"These guys" did not try it, they ignorantly accepted us with open minds for the most part. You seem to be flip floppin that story. They began to resist way too late, when they were running out of places to go. In the beginning they would have had no problem detouring what became "the problem"

So wait? I'm curious... does wpbHarriet ever get any from this guy, or is she left to her own devices?  :AH-HA_wink:

229128[/snapback]

Her many, MANY devices I would guess.  :lol:  :lol:

Buzzzz.....

229130[/snapback]

Damn right. I can't please that old woman. Not since she got the Turbo Vibe SS. Just as well, my manhood is far too large for her.

Ah common Vipes, Im not starting anything about anything here but lets be real.........what are you basing your agreement on ?

229102[/snapback]

Not starting anything, yet calling me out? Ironic. I'm just agreeing... Since I can and all. :P

You're a complacent sixth-generation American who just happened to be born here? :P

229225[/snapback]

Oh, you know it. :D

It is amazing how personal the attacks become when immigration is discussed. Even on TV shows, whether "liberal" or "conservative" the labels and name calling come out pretty quickly.

Those of us with direct experience with immigrants and who live in areas where the numbers of immigrants are outweighing those who were born or acclimatized here are probably in a better position to truly know what is going on.

Government studies are suspect, because their is always a hidden agenda. As I said before, there is an entire industry cropped up around immigration, both legal and illegal.

Immigration of 100 years ago was different on so many levels. Most obviously, immigrants had no support system, so they really cost us nothing. They were dumped at the end of train tracks and sent packing into the factories or distant farms to sink or swim. Now, they get off their plane (or back of truck) and have an entire support system awaiting them, from free health care to English as Second Language, paid for by us.

In Canada, the recent war in Beirut created another flash point: $84 million was spent to repatriate 12,000 Canadians who had dual passports. Within weeks, more than half of those people had gone back into the war zone. These are foreign born people, who lived here long enough to qulaify for the second passport, and who have returned to their real homes to have the convenience of being whisked out at our expense should things become too hot over there. I asked myself, what is the true cost to External Affairs Canada of defending, helping, asissting "Canadians" who are living abroad? We have Tamils and Sri Lankins killing each other in the streets of Toronto because they can't leave their tribal warfare back there where it belongs, and now they are dragging us into it.

Do not make the naive assumption that these people come here just to make a better life for themselves and become American/Canadian. When they reach a critical mass, they simply don't need us any more. Entire neighborhoods can be found where all the signs (even the street signs!) are in a foreign tongue. Businesses that don't need us, associations that we can't join. What does that say about us that we not only allow this, but we encourage it?

The social Liberals (who won't be happy until all the white, European influence is stomped out) and the financial Conservatives (whose businesses demand cheap labor and upward pressure on rents/real estate prices) make strange bedfellows.

For the record, I am university educated, both my parents were born in Canada, their parents were born in the U.S. and their parents were from Wales and Germany. My same-sex partner is Brazilian and we just went through the legal process of landing him here 2 years ago. I know what I am talking about because we have a dozen or so ILLEGAL Brazilian, HOnduran, Romanian, you name it, friends and associates. Hell, there is estimated to be 25,000 illegal South Americans just in Toronto, which probably means double that.

Do we really need cheap laborers that badly? My sister is a site inspector for the hydro authority (she has the power to turn off your electricity if the wiring is unsafe) and she can tell me all kinds of horror stories about contractors and how they "didn't know" the guy was unlicensed, etc. How many of our buildings/bridges/highways, etc. are on the verge of falling down because we saved a few bucks on cheap labor?

This argument can go on and on forever, but please stop dragging out the same tired old press clippings. Go into those neighborhoods where English hasn't been spoken in 10 years and really find out what is going on.

I deal in an industry that's rampant with immigrants from all countries, both legal & illegal (the construction trade). In 6 years, I have dealt with Central American, South American & eastern European labor, and there is a frighteningly high & disproportionate quantity of simply wretched-quality work. There is no overall benefit in getting a slightly cheaper house (no builder I've worked with EVER passes this saving on to the client- get real!) when all you get in return is cracked & misaligned foundations, weak & substandard framing, leaking roofs, rough concrete & trim work, and dozens of inspection failures... ALL of which I've seen in person. Is it telling when the excavator (my primary concern) redoes the 'professional' mason's work because he (I) cannot bear the awful results and the concrete is setting up? I think so.

And lest anyone think 'you get what you pay for', these are all multi-million dollar custom homes (the last one was $3.7M). Paying them more is not going to accomplish anything (not to mention erase the only 'benefit' in the first place: lower labor costs) when none of them speak any working English and the cheap labor demand is high enough that there's no incentive to learn the trade any better- they just go to another jobsite. What's going to happen; they'll lose their insurance coverage? :lol:

It's nothing but a unilateral downgrade that -if anyone- only serves the wealthy builder, not the home owner, not the community, not the industry, not the jobsite co-worker, certainly not the competition in the trade.

Yeah, open the floodgates, it's all good. :rolleyes:

i got no problem with LEGAL immigrants paying taxes and not sucking off the government tit.

228547[/snapback]

BINGO. We have a winner.

Republicans took a loose anti-immigrant stance in the recent elections but immigration reform, for the most part, does not have overtly political undertones. The vast majority of Americans are against illegal immigration and higher immigration quotas. We are tired of seeing these people receive free healthcare and education while we are stuck footing the bill. We are disgusted seeing them rally in cities demanding "rights." We are tired of hearing them say America is a nation of immigrants when in reality America is a nation of hardworking, legal immigrants who paid their dues and integrated into society, learned the language and respected the culture. The issue is spread across political, religious and racial lines.

One only needs to look to Europe to see what a mass inflow of immigrants (legal or illegal) can do to a society. It ain't pretty. When nationalist parties are regaining footholds in European society and political circles, you know there is a problem.

Edit: Just so a few people know, for every study and "professional" opinion that supports illegal aliens I can surely guide you to studies and opinions that will shed some light on the other side.

Edited by sciguy_0504

One only needs to look to Europe to see what a mass inflow of immigrants (legal or illegal) can do to a society.  It ain't pretty.  When nationalist parties are regaining footholds in European society and political circles, you know there is a problem.

229546[/snapback]

Very perceptive, Sci.

I was running down one of those stair underpasses in the Messina Italy train station to make my track and saw some graffiti on the wall saying "L'Italia e di noi Italiani"...or "Italy belongs to us Italians" -- they are doing virtually nothing about all the undocumented Albanians, Eastern Europeans and North Africans that are there illegally. Some of my relatives say that this is their "America," indicating the big bump-up in standard of living over what they came from. They, too, risk drowning in the passage to "the boot" and keep coming back all over again if returned to their native homelands.

But wait Bob- aren't those illegals paying loads of taxes and doing all the jobs the Italians don't want to?? :rolleyes:

229662[/snapback]

I guess that would be equivalent to the situation on our shore; however, a good chunk of them don't work and some of them are involved in illegal activities. Most of the prostitutes are from Eastern Europe and they are really stuck between a rock and a hard place (Catch 22 situations for most of them). Still, it is a strain on the social fabric. And, yes, Mario and Lucia will continue to live at home with their parents rather than take those jobs you probably refer to. Edited by trinacriabob

This is one thing I have noticed from a lot of hispanic people, at least those who live in my area. They far outway the rest of the city's population...and they are very messy, sloppy, disrespectful, horrible drivers, and many don't know English. The areas of the city where they are most concentrated are full of trash andd garbage and graffiti. It's disgusting.

Here's the real kicker.

My best friend is hispanic, but you wouldn't know it by the way he acts. He talks perfect English, doesn't know a word of spanish, rejects his "customs" and finds most hispanic people to be what I just described. Irony at it's best eh?