Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

World Car Fans shows the '08 'Bu?

Guest YellowJacket894

Guest YellowJacket894

World Car Fans shows the '08 Malibu?

:forum: | December 17, 2006 | YellowJacket894

Recently, World Car Fans released a chop of what they thought to be the next Opel Omega. However, whenever I looked at it, I felt something amiss.

First off, the proportions were that of a front-drive car (I.E. Epsilon) instead of rear-drive (I.E. Zeta, which a new Omega would be based on). Second, many things matched up with spy shots I, and you as well, have seen of GM's break through mainstream product for 2007: the new 2008 Malibu.

Things didn't add up.

So, obviously, only one thing made sense to me: WCF used and enhanced images of Chevrolet's new 2008 Malibu to produce their Omega rendering.

A new rendering attempting to return WCF's chop back to it's normal state follows as well as proof that shows the images link up. Original chop and original images previously found in this thread can be seen at the link at the end of this post.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Original Images and WCF's Rendering

Edited by Flybrian

Guest YellowJacket894

Well, it's a quick chop, so I didn't really work out the final details. The grille is from the Prisma Y concept, if you're wondering. I'm working on making the grille (and other details) a bit closer to the final car, just to keep you updated. :)

Edited by YellowJacket894

well, i would have said hell ya if ah-ha hadn't said anything [care to complement us with more of your presence? ;)]. still, this looks great as a chevy, and from the details you pointed out, it sure as hell looks like it could theoretically match! and this chop is great, would make a great malibu, it's only a little too close to the last gen s-class, but it's niiice

From this angle I think it's rather hard to tell from the beltline, as I think that part has been chopped away in the original photos. The mirrors look like it has been swapped with Opel's, thus this would affect the area around it.

228737[/snapback]

It's a difficult section to chop though, especially given the limited visible space between the mirror and the C-pillar. I could be wrong, and whoever did it had uber skill...but I think there would be some sloppiness to it.

It's a rather radical change to do, yet it's on a small area...so I don't see a chopper bothering with it.

Edited by Dodgefan

I actually thought the chopped Opel was based on the S-Class...

There are some similarities, but my main reservation in agreeing is that the chop's grille area (at least to me) looks more slanted and has a more pronounced crease to it than the spied prototype. Who knows, though...I guess we'll find out soon enough...

Edited by DetroitNut90

As to why there is a more pronounced crease, possibilities:

1. The WCF guys chopped it this way to show what the Omega looks like, and the original pic does not have the crease on the bumper, as in the earlier spyshots

2. The orignal spyshots show a base model with an "SS" trim bumper, and the standard models do have a different grille than the spyshots, thus the crease

well, i would have said hell ya if ah-ha hadn't said anything [care to complement us with more of your presence? ;)]. still, this looks great as a chevy, and from the details you pointed out, it sure as hell looks like it could theoretically match! and this chop is great, would make a great malibu, it's only a little too close to the last gen s-class, but it's niiice

228729[/snapback]

Ditto. I was getting excited till Ah-Ha shot it down... now I'm wondering, was the original speculation of it being a Zeta based product (originally shown with an Opel badge) possible? I wonder? Care to chime in, Ah-Ha.

Guest YellowJacket894

Ditto.  I was getting excited till Ah-Ha shot it down...  now I'm wondering, was the original speculation of it being a Zeta based product (originally shown with an Opel badge) possible?  I wonder?  Care to chime in, Ah-Ha.

228764[/snapback]

AH-HA didn't "shoot it down." I think he was alluding to something else, actually. Not that the chop and my assumption were totally wrong.

And there's no way in hell that's a Zeta car originally. The proportions are not Zeta. Period. Case closed. Rear-drive cars haven't had front overhangs like that since, well, I don't know when exactly.

Edited by YellowJacket894

when the title of this thread said, "according to me," it was clear this is speculation. now the wording has changed, and the first post comes off as if it has some fountain, just enough to make us believe it might have some fountain of truth, for the casual observer.

i would change it to refect that this is all speculation.

oh, and ah-ha did shoot you down. at least he says no. the original point of the first post was the belief that the Omega chop was indeed just a doctored version of the official Malibu shots.......and thus his response was "no". the winky at the end could be taken to mean anything, although it COULD mean the chop you've made really is ultimately close, but that your belief that the chop was based off the official Malibu shots was incorrect........

another thing to recall about future Chevy designs is the implementation of the SS concept fascia that is right above me. There have been numerous allussions to the fact that SS would be incorporated. And yes, you look at the grille and it is proportioned and shaped exactly the same as in the spy shots of the Malibu.

What's even more interesting to me, is the headlight shape and style you came up with for your chop are very similar to the SS concept as well, at least in overall shape, presentation, and placement in relation to the grille and hood....

Edited by turbo200

oh, and ah-ha did shoot you down. at least he says no. the original point of the first post was the belief that the Omega chop was indeed just a doctored version of the official Malibu shots.......and thus his response was "no". the winky at the end could be taken to mean anything, although it COULD mean the chop you've made really is ultimately close, but that your belief that the chop was based off the official Malibu shots was incorrect........

228797[/snapback]

AH-HA is known for "vague" responses, as he's not allowed or supposed to disclose anything, and he's kind enough to give us hints.

A simple "no" can just mean anything. Yours was just one possibility.

So, everybody was saying the new malibu would be a knock out? After seeing this illustration, I hope this is a mistake on the iilistrator's part. The front looks like it came from an Uplander or would better look good on a pick up. Too much going on there. To say that only Pontiac gets reskinned cars is a farse, concidering this Malibu is a clone of an Opel and a Saturn. GM can do better with this one.

Guest YellowJacket894

Well, you know, we'll probably know something by the end of this month or very early the next.

To me, there's just way too many coincidences for that not to be some sort of Malibu pic.

If you look at the Omega chop, the beltline is relatively straight. On the other hand, the spyshot of the Malibu shows a gently arching beltline.

228735[/snapback]

I noticed that too. The beltline on the chop reminds me more of the Peugeot 407 sedan than an Opel.

228907[/snapback]

I was driving behind a 407 this afternoon and when the guy turned it struck me that the belt line creases look similar. Maybe it was the easiest image to chop given whatever information sources leaked to WorldCarFans.

Well, you know, we'll probably know something by the end of this month or very early the next.

To me, there's just way too many coincidences for that not to be some sort of Malibu pic.

228865[/snapback]

If the new Malibu is not being unveiled in Detroit, it will at least be on display in Chicago come Feb.

WELCOME BACK AH-HA!!!! The grille in the photoshop looks like it is off-the lower part of Malibu's grille is lower-tiered than the headlights-at least that's what I'm seeing.

It would look good, but I highly doubt that the new Malibu would bear such a close resemblance to any Opel.

That's Saturn's department.

Guest YellowJacket894

when the title of this thread said, "according to me," it was clear this is speculation. now the wording has changed, and the first post comes off as if it has some fountain, just enough to make us believe it might have some fountain of truth, for the casual observer.

No. I changed it so you and other readers know my stance on the subject. There is just too much proof for me to change my mind, I'm sorry.

A Zeta-based car would not look like that or have those proportions. And how do you explain the hood cutline being the exact same thing on the chop and the spy photo? Answer me that.

i would change it to refect that this is all speculation.

Well, that's obviously how you would do it then. But, since I'm not you, no further edits, save for one more possible photo edit, will be made to this thread.

oh, and ah-ha did shoot you down.

Are you sure? Are you AH-HA? Do you have the ultimate proof that I am 100 percent wrong? If so, show me.

AH-HA likes to make you think. Like I said, I think he's alluding to something else related to the matter, not that I'm 100 percent wrong. Second guessing isn't always a bad thing.

at least he says no. the original point of the first post was the belief that the Omega chop was indeed just a doctored version of the official Malibu shots.......and thus his response was "no".

Again, do you have proof that I am totally wrong?

It would look good, but I highly doubt that the new Malibu would bear such a close resemblance to any Opel.

That's Saturn's department.

Hmmm . . . you know, it really doesn't look much like an Opel, really.

Guest YellowJacket894

I think it's more likely that the Omega will ride on an extended Epsilon <which this whole exercise could also prove> than on Zeta.

Interesting thought. I guess since the last Omega was rear-drive, everyone expects the new one to be as well.

Hmmmm . . . you know what? This crossed my mind -- maybe someone wanted to illustrate what the next Vectra would look like instead of the Omega. The illustrator also possibly wanted to leak Malibu photos in the process, and used it as a base (since, after all, the Malibu and Vectra are Epsilon cars) for his chop. I don't think embargo policies have any definite stance on using a forbidden photo in such a circumstance, do they? I mean, change around enough stuff to make something appear the same, yet different, and it wouldn't really be wrong to show it to a viewing audience.

I'm going to agree with with Ah-ha on this one. :)

I would think that it would have more of a retro look to it, as does the next Impy.

Granted, just a bit....

And on a side note:

For those of you in Michigan, keep your eyes peeled-there's at least a few

roaming around metro Detroit being tested.

I was behind (and in front of) one in camo that looks a lot like those spy pics.. 8)

They're going to test the daylights out of it. Good. :thumbsup:

I'm assuming that there is some floating around the home plant too... :AH-HA_wink: