Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

World Car Fans shows the '08 'Bu?

Guest YellowJacket894

YJ, I think you're seeing things.

Secondly, I'll have to side with Turbo on this one. "World Car Fans Breaks GM Embargo" implies anything but an opinion piece. There's no "proof" of anything, just speculation. Before the changes and before this thread was moved, I couldn't fault you. Now its being taken seriously and looks like you're passing off speculation as fact... This reeks of something Josh would do.

YJ, I think you're seeing things.

Secondly, I'll have to side with Turbo on this one. "World Car Fans Breaks GM Embargo" implies anything but an opinion piece. There's no "proof" of anything, just speculation. Before the changes and before this thread was moved, I couldn't fault you. Now its being taken seriously and looks like you're passing off speculation as fact... This reeks of something Josh would do.

229274[/snapback]

You guys realize that the subtitle was changed to reflected the updated imagery, not in an attempt to deceive.

Also, don't insult YJ like that.

You guys realize that the subtitle was changed to reflected the updated imagery, not in an attempt to deceive.

Also, don't insult YJ like that.

229276[/snapback]

ya, no one here is claiming anyone tried to deceive anyone, and I know it was clear from the beginning this was one person's opinion. However, I read for tone, and the tone of the first post, combined with the changed title of the thread, imply more than just an opinion. It's not a big deal, and I'm really not trying to insult or start something with Yellowjacket, just that I'm anal retentive about tone [even though I don't always correct my own], and it comes across like fact because of the word choice. This could cause some casual readers to believe the truth is what you are stating with the first post. That's all.

Yellowjacket, I'm really not trying to start something. As others have pointed out the beltline is clearly not the same as the gently arching beltline of the Malibu spy shots that resembles the MB CLS beltline. Also, the front end is distrubingly close to Saturn and Opel. That would be my evidence to the contrary, however, the chop you've presented is excellent, and you have provided great evidence, and I personally think it's a nice looking car. Above I also posted why I think you're close to the real Malibu, because of the close resemblence to the SS concept that GM said they would be using in their future design.

As to what ah-ha said, there's only one way you can take a no. No means no. You can take it whatever way you want to, but I'm not trying to start a beef with you or anything, it's just what I beleive. I did add that his winky could have meant something, but then someone above chimed in and said that's his signature, which also makes sense. Ultimately, it's up to him if he wants to clear up that his no meant just no. BUT, I was just adding my thought, for the sake of balance and clarity for other readers [not that I think most couldn't figure out on thier own].

EDIT: if you left the first post as is, I'm sure it wouldn't be a big deal. This is after all not Businessweek or CNN. In fact, it might invite some of the insiders to come and discredit/approve, meanwhile giving us more information.

Edited by turbo200

Understood. Just wanted to make sure that part was recognized.

For the record, the title and headline of the original post has been modified to more accurately reflect the tone of the front page article, whose purpose was only to present this theory as speculation.

Posted Image

DETROIT, Mich. – Chevrolet today released an advance image of the exterior of the all-new 2008 Malibu, which will be unveiled at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January and will arrive at Chevrolet dealerships later in 2007. The photo was released in conjunction with the announcement of a $208 million investment in the Fairfax, Kansas Assembly plant to prepare for production of the car.

The image reveals a partial shot of the front of the car featuring a dual-port grille, which is described as representing the “new face of Chevrolet.”

“The 2008 Malibu design is expressive and brings new proportions and a fresh perspective to the mid-size market,” said Ed Peper, Chevrolet General Manager. “The new Malibu boasts a poised, wheels-at-the-corners stance with a longer hood and shorter deck appearance that conveys motion, agility and attitude.”

Chevrolet previously released a sneak peek of one of the car’s available two-tone interiors, which demonstrates a much more upscale look and feel with more premium materials and a new level of refinement in the extremely competitive mid-size car segment.

Edited by Derek77

Eh... I can't say I'm a big fan. It looks too much like the Impala that it might confuse or deter buyers who didn't like that sedan. Is this the best looking mid-sized entry level sedan from GMNA? I don't know, from what I can see, it's going to be a toss-up between this and the Aura.

Eh... I can't say I'm a big fan.  It looks too much like the Impala that it might confuse or deter buyers who didn't like that sedan.  Is this the best looking mid-sized entry level sedan from GMNA?  I don't know, from what I can see, it's going to be a toss-up between this and the Aura.

229393[/snapback]

Oh I don't think the front looks anything like the Impala. Though it looks a little narrow in this image, but I think that it is the angle and cropping that does it, as the spy shots did not look that way to me.

Well, judging from what I have to work with, I would say that this new Malibu picture doesn't impress me.

It ought to be better in person, and taken as a whole, the car may have a much better presence.

From dead on, the Pontiac G6 looks better than this.

The Saturn Aura (or Opel Vectra, for that matter) looks better than both.

I see some Camry, tC and new non-U.S.-market Corolla in the front end. It looks pretty good and I love how GM took a page out of the Mazda playbook with the wheel arch/hood design. Is GM "stealing" the designs of others? :o:P Obviously, it looks better than the current Malibu but that's not saying much. GM needs to hit a homerun with this car, just like it has done with the Lambdas and GMT900s. The Aura was not a homerun, IMO, and GM has another chance with the new Malibu.

I see some Camry, tC and new non-U.S.-market Corolla in the front end.  It looks pretty good and I love how GM took a page out of the Mazda playbook with the wheel arch/hood design.  Is GM "stealing" the designs of others? :o:P Obviously, it looks better than the current Malibu but that's not saying much.  GM needs to hit a homerun with this car, just like it has done with the Lambdas and GMT900s.  The Aura was not a homerun, IMO, and GM has another chance with the new Malibu.

229421[/snapback]

I see a bit of Mazda and Acura in the grille shape, though it has the characteristic Chevy crossplank. I wonder if there will be a 'Sport' version with a full mesh grille or something different.. I see some of the SS concept in the hood opening and stepped fenders... I wonder if the hood would have looked better if it had been wider and extended to the edges (i.e. to the drop off).

Edited by moltar

Guest YellowJacket894

Compare:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think I may have been on to something here. Notice the similarities? You can also tell where Photoshop's touch has been generously applied.

Compare:

<images removed>

I think I may have been on to something here. Notice the similarities? You can also tell where Photoshop's touch has been generously applied.

229613[/snapback]

Looks like you had it to me, nice eye! Only noticeable difference I see between the chop and the real thing is the headlights on the chop are a bit more "swoopy"

Edited by Slowrider5

229613[/snapback]

I related the shoulder line crease to a Peugeot 407 as a basis for the chop, but from the full car photo it seems that crease on the Malibu isn't as curved as it seemed from the spy pics. I now think that the Opel chop was based on some sort of Malibu picture.