Ever run into your old car you got rid of?

Guest YellowJacket894

This has happened to me, although it really wasn't my car.

My parents traded their 1998 Dodge Dakota (one of the few vehicles they bought brand new) in for a 1997 GMC Jimmy (yeah, sort of one step back there in terms of year model) back in 1999. About a year or two later, in the same town where they got rid of that truck, we found it in the parking lot of a Burger King, in need of considerable body work. The new owner, who we talked to briefly, seemed like an alright person, (apparently) just couldn't drive worth a damn.

Ironically, that Jimmy was traded in for another Dakota, which we still own.

Edited by YellowJacket894

This happens to me alot actually...guess it happens in a small town...lets see

My friend bought my mom's old Buick Century

An ex-girlfriend bought my brothers old Chevy Cavlier

My bestfriend's sister's boyfriend bought my old Buick Regal...

All of these were bought after we traded them in...not ironically I used to see them all the time when I was still in highschool...I still see my old Regal alot becuase my friends sister drives it more then her boyfriend does and I go back to see their family fairly often...

I used to see my '79 Coupe DeVille in the area every now and then; every time driven by the girlfriend of the kid that bought it. She remembered me, though; we'd beep horns and wave at each other as we passed. I've always wondered where "Big Red" is now and still sorta wish I hadn't sold it.....

on the UW Parking website...

229211[/snapback]

Funny how university initials recycle themselves. That would be my alma mater (University of Washington) in the states.

Great thread idea, BTW, though my story is not as interesting as your particular experience. That's too weird! My dad had one of those late-70s Regals that happened to have the 3.8 liter V6 with a carburetor. It made 110 hp and that wasn't enough to lug this big car around. It was slow....but reliable from what I recall. It became "extra" so we decided to sell it. We didn't have to advertise because word of mouth among a few Italians we knew got the message to this Italian guy and his family who could never figure out if he wanted to live in Los Angeles or South Florida.

He bought the car. I heard he took it to Florida. I then saw the Regal (it had a padded landau) driving down the street somewhere in L.A. It was him, because he had a big nose. He evidently came back to L.A. But then I heard he went back to Florida.

Edited by trinacriabob

I run into my moms 89 Camaro that she traded on a 96 Monte Carlo all the time its only like 20 miles from our house lol It's not hard to miss either Light Blue with White Racing Stripes My dad painted it. The only one around that year that looks like that. Nice car too bad she traded it she wishes she didn't do it now.

Edited by Daryl 83

Yeah ... it's happened to me....

My former '88 MC LS was sold to a guy just outside of town ... saw it for several months afterward ... haven't seen it recently.

Soon after Mom and Dad traded in their '82 Chevette on a '90 Corsica, the '82 Chevette turned up on a street that we regularly took to my grandparents' home.

Cort:33swm."Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Your chance has come and gone" ... JoJo ... 'Too Little Too Late'

My parents 86 Chevy Conv. Van....

THough I haven't seen it in a few months...

And It is in need of repair.... :(

Though I always wondered where my s-10 went.

I was tempted to run a Carfax to see where it is now....

My friend did-and he found it had worked its way to New York with a bunch of miles on it... :blink:

My '02 Silverado is here in town, owned by some old dude involved in the Boy Scouts. It's always easy to spot because of the de-badging, the catback exhaust, and the Tahoe grille (although the grille is gone now, he wrecked it a few months ago and they put the pickup grille back in it.)

Cars that enter our family tend to stay there..so the only ones that ever leave are ones that get sent to the junkyard :P

This was an unfortunate case with our `91 spirit that had our 186 Aries engine in it. Good car. Was in great shape inside and no rust outside, just some peeling paint. Would start right up, but needed a fuel pump and was never replaced. Eventually it was junked...which I think of the cars we had at the time was the last one that should have been. Oh well.

Ok, I swear this is a true story but it is kinda hard to believe.

I had a 1984 S-10 Tahoe, 2wd LWB, Red with the white stripe and high back bucket seats with a black steel rear bumper, not a common combination. I purchased the truck in Owensboro, KY and it was registered in Owensboro at my parents house eventhough I lived in Louisville, KY. I traded it in on my black 91 Z28 at a small 'dealership'. About a year and a half after I trade in the truck my mother gets a call from a local police station, apparently my old truck was never taken out of my name! The police said 2 hispanic men rear ended another car at a stop light and got out and ran from the scene on foot. The police wanted my insurance information to give to the other driver since the truck was still registered IN MY NAME! My mother calls me asking if I traded the truck in to which I say of course. I get the Officers number and call them. Then I call the 'dealership' who immediately cops attitude with me saying the truck was stolen off the lot just a few days after I traded it in. I ask if they filed a police report, "No we didn't think about it." I ripped into the guy saying if someone stole something worth over a $1000 from them they would surely report it to the police and their insurance, to which the guy responds we don't insure any of the vehicles on the lot! Now I know the guy was a crook. It tured out that the guy didn't even own the lot! A lady hired him to run the lot when her husband died. He didn't register any of the cars he sold! He just gave people the title which had the previous owners information, I knew this because when he sold me my Camaro the Camaro was his nephew's who worked at the lot and it didn't have the lots name on the title and there was no paperwork.

Cliff's Notes: Basically traded a truck in on a car and over a year later the truck was involved in an accident and police came after me because the 'lot' never registered the vehicle and when it was stolen it was never reported. Learned to take the title of my car to the county clerks office every time I sell one. Take no chances!

Anyone who's been on C+G since the beginning will remember that I've rolled over a black '01 Sunfire. I saw it about a year after the accident, being driven down the 403 by someone who looked like Paul Sr. from OCC, with yellow duct tape holding a new windsheild roughly in place, and holding the driver's door shut. I'm thinking that one junkyard owner was transporting it from another junkyard.

Now... that can't be legal, right? The windshield wasn't really attached, and the driver's door wasn't really closed. There was still grass wadded in the cracks in the bumper, fer chrissakes...

I go through cars & truck slike underwear and I usualy buy & sell

locally through the WANT-AD so this happens quite often.

There was one time that it was kind of weird... a bizzare coincidence.

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...wtopic=1430&hl=

(My white/white/blue '87 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance)

my sister and i shared a 1989 chrysler lebaron when we were in high school and i drove it for a while in college. My dad traded it off for a civic for my younger sister. Just a month or two after he got rid of it, i saw it seveal times running aound town. I could tell it was mine due to the banged up rear bumber from a fender bender that we never repaired. It was kind of rough when we got rid of it, but the new owner had obviously wrecked it a couple of times.

My mom used to own a white 91' montecarlo. She took pretty good care of it until she virtually demolished it in a car accident involving a blonde bimbo who was stting in the middle (yes, i mean middle) of the road when she was stopped by the a bunch of road workers and mom just happen to come along and her crud shot breaks gave out when she tried to stop raming the blonde stright forward and me (who just happened to not be wearing seat belts, i will add) flying straight into the dash board. Whatever happened to the car afterward, i dunno (that slam from the dash board was pretty damn hard) however i have seen around town the same model and color montecarlo with a few scratches in the front and an obviously replaced car hood. :)

My mom used to own a white 91' montecarlo. She took pretty good care of it until she virtually demolished it in a car accident involving a blonde bimbo who was stting in the middle (yes, i mean middle) of the road when she was stopped by the a bunch of road workers and mom just happen to come along and her crud shot breaks gave out when she tried to stop raming the blonde stright forward and me (who just happened to not be wearing seat belts, i will add) flying straight into the dash board. Whatever happened to the car afterward, i dunno (that slam from the dash board was pretty damn hard) however i have seen around town the same model and color montecarlo with a few scratches in the front and an obviously replaced car hood. :)

Guest YellowJacket894

Ok, I swear this is a true story but it is kinda hard to believe.

I had a 1984 S-10 Tahoe, 2wd LWB, Red with the white stripe and high back bucket seats with a black steel rear bumper, not a common combination.  I purchased the truck in Owensboro, KY and it was registered in Owensboro at my parents house eventhough I lived in Louisville, KY.  I traded it in on my black 91 Z28 at a small 'dealership'.  About a year and a half after I trade in the truck my mother gets a call from a local police station, apparently my old truck was never taken out of my name!  The police said 2 hispanic men rear ended another car at a stop light and got out and ran from the scene on foot.  The police wanted my insurance information to give to the other driver since the truck was still registered IN MY NAME!  My mother calls me asking if I traded the truck in to which I say of course.  I get the Officers number and call them.  Then I call the 'dealership' who immediately cops attitude with me saying the truck was stolen off the lot just a few days after I traded it in.  I ask if they filed a police report, "No we didn't think about it."  I ripped into the guy saying if someone stole something worth over a $1000 from them they would surely report it to the police and their insurance, to which the guy responds we don't insure any of the vehicles on the lot!  Now I know the guy was a crook.  It tured out that the guy didn't even own the lot!  A lady hired him to run the lot when her husband died.  He didn't register any of the cars he sold!  He just gave people the title which had the previous owners information,  I knew this because when he sold me my Camaro the Camaro was his nephew's who worked at the lot and it didn't have the lots name on the title and there was no paperwork.

Cliff's Notes:  Basically traded a truck in on a car and over a year later the truck was involved in an accident and police came after me because the 'lot' never registered the vehicle and when it was stolen it was never reported.  Learned to take the title of my car to the county clerks office every time I sell one.  Take no chances!

229322[/snapback]

I take it you live in Kentucky?

My mom used to own a white 91' montecarlo.

*raises eyebrow*

In what country?

If this was a Chevrolet Monte Carlo, it was not a 1991 edition ... as none were made...........

"I thought that time would cure" ... Tom Wopat ... 'A Little Bit Closer'

*raises eyebrow*

In what country?

If this was a Chevrolet Monte Carlo, it was not a 1991 edition ... as none were made...........

229711[/snapback]

Right. I was thinking the same thing. The Lumina was around, but no MC (what was the gap anyway, 1988-1994, something like that?)

Guest YellowJacket894

I used to, I live in Missouri now.  Moved for school.

Ah. I see. Know how that's going to be -- moving to Michigan for the same purpose in just a matter of a year's time or so.

Right.  I was thinking the same thing.  The Lumina was around, but no MC  (what was the gap anyway, 1988-1994, something like that?)

Yeah, something like that.......

*shudders*

"You've made a fool of everyone" ... Jet ... 'Look What You've Done'

I was waiting for KF to be like a 1991 Monte Carlo???

WTF did someone super-glue a Knight emblem onto

the trunklid of a Beretta or Lumina Euro 2dr sedan?

I was waiting for KF to be like a 1991 Monte Carlo???

You know me too well....

WTF did someone super-glue a Knight emblem onto

the trunklid of a Beretta or Lumina Euro 2dr sedan?

Something tells me I don't want to know. Course, it can't be as bad as what Chevrolet has done ... could it?

*grins devilishly*

:)

We saw my parents 1987 Pontiac Grand Am LE coupe after we junked it! When the junk yard came to pick it up, the guy driving the truck commented how it wasnt in bad shape. 1 1/2 later we saw the same guy driving it with repair plates on it near the same junk yard while making a trip to the DMV. That was a good looking car.

I saw my Cutlass on Memorial Day of this year. Passing perpendicular through an intersection while I was stopped at a red light. Made me miss it :( I really wish I would have kept that car. I also saw my grandfather's old Lumina in a Wal-Mart parking lot across town about a year after we sold it. My other grandfather traded his Pontiac 6000, and we saw it parked on a street about a block from the dealer with dealer plates on it about a year later. I always keep an eye out for old cars my family owned. I know my grandfather's old Malibu wagon was sold to a family in West Virginia, we carfaxed my dad's old Jimmy and it was titled in a town about an hour from here. The rest of the cars I never saw again, or didn't recognize.

• 2 weeks later...

My second car was a 1992 Cavalier Z24 coupe that I bought from my cousin. I had that car from May of '94 until I gave it to my then-fiancee in April of 1998. She owned it until August of 2000, when it was traded in with approximately 70K on the odo for a leftover 2000 Grand Prix GT sedan. I wish I had the cash at the time to keep the Cavy and still get the GP, but we needed the Cavy as a trade-in/deposit. Even though a '78 Camaro was my first car (Sept '92 - May '94/sold fall '94), the Cavy was like-new (7k on the odometer when I got it and it had the balance of the 5 year/60K extended GMPP warranty included). I've always wondered what happened to it and just recently ran into a '92 Cavy Z24 that looks very much like mine, and it's parked at a local shopping center. I need to dig up the VIN from my old records and gp check out the NJ inspection sticker to see if it matches. If it does turn out to be my old Cavy, maybe I'll leave a note on the windshield telling them to contact me if and when they want to sell it.

I sold my '79 Delta 88 back in February. Around September I got a notice in the mail that the car was in an impound about 20 miles away. I called in and found that the person who bought it from me sold it to someone else, didn't bother transferring the title, and got pulled over for the license plate light being burned out. Turns out the driver had NO INSURANCE. So the car was impounded and they sent the letter to me to come pay all the fees and everything. Forget it. I figured I'd wait until auction time and then buy it. But they didn't sell it in October, November, or December. I finally get another certified letter yesterday, it's going to be up for sale the 3rd Thursday of January. So I'm going to go try and buy it back. Sitting for 4 months, it probably won't start, but I know it's got a new fuel pump and the carb wasn't too badly out of tune, plus the kid I sold it to did a lot of work to it before reselling it.

I sold the car for $500. I wonder if it'll cost half that much to get it back.