Consumer Reports FJ Cruiser report

regfootball

funny stuff, i was reading it at the Target stores tonight.

basically, in spite of the 'it will be reliable because its a toyota' kool aid lines, they basically hated it and won't recommend it.

i was so ROTFLMAO

they had issues with a lot of the non-performance stuff. they liked the powertrain and off road prowess, but it wasn't soft and cuddly enough for them. noisy, rides hard, blind spots, interior quality issues, etc.

I guess toyota makes a non-pansy vehicle and gets on CR's bad side! Read it if you get a chance.

has toyota gone to the bad side? LOL, so desperate top plug all segments that now they have p1ssed off CR?

Consumer Reports is more hilarious than just about anything.

Edited by regfootball

I'm not really surprised. CR is a import hugging magazine but even they have to have their limits. The vehicle reeks of cheap the moment you sit in it. The door was so flimsy I though it would break off and the interior is garbage. It's very...90's cavalier-esque.

Thats not even taking into consideration the awful styling.

I like the looks of the FJ from outside. It seems to be a hit with the gay set in downtown Toronto - don't know if that is good or bad, but they (we?) tend to like "cool" vehicles and, of course, anything imported is great.

I wish GM had something with the "rugged" off-road looks, like the Xterra, YJ, FJ, etc.

I like the looks of the FJ from outside.  It seems to be a hit with the gay set in downtown Toronto - don't know if that is good or bad, but they (we?) tend to like "cool" vehicles and, of course, anything imported is great.

I wish GM had something with the "rugged" off-road looks, like the Xterra, YJ, FJ, etc.

229854[/snapback]

H3 ;)

H3 is not in the same price class, that is for sure. The FJ can be had for $29,900 to $40k, fully loaded, but the H3 STARTS $42k and goes up to $60k. Of course, those are Canadian rip off prices, but even the Xterra maxes out at $38k.

H3 is not in the same price class, that is for sure.  The FJ can be had for $29,900 to $40k, fully loaded, but the H3 STARTS $42k and goes up to $60k.  Of course, those are Canadian rip off prices, but even the Xterra maxes out at $38k.

229939[/snapback]

NOT TRUE

The H3 starts at $29,000 and works its way up to about $50k for a H3X

Edited by rosserman

i just need to know from those of you that like the fj... why??? that thing gives the aztek a run for the money as the ugliest vehicle ever. it's ungainly, chunky, oddly porportioned, and is about as sexy as a drunken rosie o'donnell. as much as i hate toyota it has nothing on the legendary original fj.

230365[/snapback]

At least Kelli Carpenter finds her sexy when she is drunk.

Blind spots? No $h!?

Posted Image

Thank God Consumer Reports is here to make me desperately aware of things I'm already aware of. Time to renew my subscription!

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised they didn't find some 30 year-old FJ being used by the People's Army of the Congo and used it to qualify recommending it "based on reliability of the previous model."

I think the funniest thing about the FJ Cruiser is that Toyota seems to have jumped on the retro-styling bandwagon with it without realizing that the only retro-styling people in America actually give a crap about comes from Detroit.

Which is why the FJ is selling so poorly, right? :huh:<_<:rolleyes:

The FJ isn't an exact clone like the Challenger, but it is recognizable if you've ever seen an original Land Cruiser.

Never argued that they're not recognizable to people who remember the original, but MORE people recognize the styling cues from the Challenger, or better yet, the Camaro concept or the PT cruiser...and even more so in the VW Beetle...hence why those cars have been in the limelight and the FJ Cruiser really hasn't been. Its just that more people don't recognize it...it doesn't hold nearly the same symbolic value as the others.

That's all I really tried to get across.

Edited by AxelTheRed

The FJ sells really well in my town. Toyotas do alright around here, but these things are really flying out the door.

Same case evrywhere. Pre-owned FJs with a handful of miles are selling for a couple hundred bucks beloow the sticker price of a brand new one. Mini-like dpreciation.

Yeah... well in terms of blind spots and looks

it's worse than a fisher price earth mover.

Why was there so much fanfare about the fact that Toyota FJ cruiser was rated most reliable by Consumer Reports and this is the first that I have heard of it not being recommended????

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15638076/

These 2007 models earned the highest and lowest predicted reliability ratings based on a survey covering earlier model years.

CATEGORY MOST RELIABLE LEAST RELIABLE

Small SUVs Toyota FJ Cruiser Kia Sportage

Source:Consumer Reports

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/overview.aspx?year=2007&make=Toyota&model=FJ%20Cruiser&trimid=-1FJ scores too low in our testing to be recommended.

Why was there so much fanfare about the fact that Toyota FJ cruiser was rated most reliable by Consumer Reports and this is the first that I have heard of it not being recommended????

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15638076/

These 2007 models earned the highest and lowest predicted reliability ratings based on a survey covering earlier model years.

CATEGORY MOST RELIABLE LEAST RELIABLE

Small SUVs Toyota FJ Cruiser Kia Sportage

Source:Consumer Reports

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/overview.aspx?year=2007&make=Toyota&model=FJ%20Cruiser&trimid=-1FJ scores too low in our testing to be recommended.

i think the irony is that for this rig, CR can only PREDICT that the FJ is reliable due to the Toyota tag on the vehicle...but they were NOT happy with the fact that a toyota is not a wussified urbo-lib-greenie cruiser. They complained about its hard ride and noise and such, well DUH its a truck. CR wants to pigeonhole Toyota into only making Camry's and Corollas. That's why I think this is so significant. Toyota is branching out and CR does NOT like that.

There was a point where they were like the 17-year cicadas--swarms everywhere. They (thankfully) aren't as numerous as they once were, although there is the occasional straggler (usually in that nasty red-brown color).

I applaud Toyota for designing a stand-out vehicle...it's just unbearably hideous.

Fascinating: here in Jersey (and there's a toyota dealer a mile from me) I have only seen about 3 on the road, and I am fairly certain 1 was on a demo drive from the dealer, as it was getting on the highway right downroad from the place. Thankfully, they've not taken off here (yet)- they are not at all pleasant to look at.

Fascinating: here in Jersey (and there's a toyota dealer a mile from me) I have only seen about 3 on the road, and I am fairly certain 1 was on a demo drive from the dealer, as it was getting on the highway right downroad from the place. Thankfully, they've not taken off here (yet)- they are not at all pleasant to look at.

Yeah, I've only seen one. I was on the expressway, saw it and did a double take to make sure I wasn't imagining it.

On looks alone I wouldn't recommend it.

Agreed, sat in one at the last auto show to roll through ATL last year and hated it..."Toyota's answer to the H3"

Course, i'm not a huge (excuse the pun) SUV fan...i could not drive a Jeep with the exception of the Grand Cherokee, even then SUVs don't get my blood flowing so to speak....

I leased a 2001 GMC Jimmy "Sun n Sound" 2dr and by the end of the lease i was DONE with my then SUV fetish, plus the buy out on the end of the lease was about $4k more than what it appraised for