Server Move In Progress ×

Buick Announces Pricing for All New 2006 Lucerne

Derek77

DETROIT – General Motors’ Buick division announced manufacturer’s suggest retail prices (MSRPs) today for the all-new 2006 Lucerne entry luxury sedan with base MSRPs ranging from $26,990 to $35,990. Lucerne pricing reflects GM’s Total Value Promise, targets comparably-equipped import competitors, and should have a positive impact on comparison shopping, particularly on the Internet. "Lucerne is Buick’s most premium and elegant model,” said Buick General Manager Steve Shannon. “While not a replacement, Lucerne is contented and packaged to cover a price encompassing both LeSabre and Park Avenue while squarely taking on competitors.” With premium content, a compelling safety story – including six standard air bags, dual-stage driver air bag, segment-first dual depth front passenger air bag – and a strong value story, Lucerne is a strong proof point for Buick’s Total Value Promise. Standard on every Lucerne are Onstar, QuietTuning – Buick’s exclusive process to eliminate unwanted cabin noise – and a four-year/50,000 mile warranty. “In addition to a great line-up of standard features, Lucerne’s exterior styling, spacious interior and nimble ride and handling position Lucerne to win over competitive owners and Buick loyalists alike,” added Shannon. Lucerne will be available in four models: CX, CXL V6, CXL V8, and CXS. Each MSRP listed includes a $725 destination charge. Buick Lucerne CX – $26,990 The most aggressively-priced model in the lineup, Lucerne CX is powered by GM’s 3800 Series III V-6. Lucerne ’s starting MSRP is $460 below the current LeSabre and comes with significantly more content – including an enhanced warranty, traction control and additional airbags. When adjusted for equipment, Lucerne CX is priced more than $2,200 below a comparable 2005 LeSabre. For consumers who pre-shop on the Internet, Lucerne will stand out. For instance, Lucerne ’s starting MSRP is $5,960 below the 2006 Lexus ES. Buick Lucerne CXL V6 –$28,990 With 17” premium painted aluminum wheels, the CXL V6 offers leather seats, a leather-wrapped steering wheel and power passenger seat. Buick Lucerne CXL V8 – $30,990 Lucerne CXL V8 shows an unparalled value among V8 luxury cars. With an MSRP of $30,990, the Lucerne CXL V8 offers a 275 horsepower Northstar V8 that can go head to head against high end imports like the Lexus GS and Infiniti M, both with MSRPs which start above $45,000. StabiliTrak, GM’s electronic stability enhancement system that helps maintain vehicle control during certain low-traction driving conditions like ice, snow, gravel, wet pavement and uneven road surfaces, is available on CXL V8 models. Buick Lucerne CXS – $35,990 The performance-oriented Lucerne CXS comes standard with the Northstar V8 and features 18” wheels. Lucerne CXS is the first Buick to offer Magnetic Ride Control, paired with StabiliTrak, to enhance overall ride performance. This system uses magnetically charged particles suspended in a synthetic fluid to continuously adjust the fluid’s viscosity to varying road surfaces and driving characteristics. The system has quicker response than conventional valve-damping systems, while providing exceptional vehicle control and increased tire contact with the road surface. Full complement of comfort and convenience features Lucerne has a complete range of comfort and convenience features available befitting Buick’s premium image, such as heated/cooled front seats; factory-installed remote start; Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist; rain-sensing windshield wiper system; the first heated windshield washer fluid application in its class; a nine-speaker, 280-watt Harman Kardon audio system; six-disc in-dash CD changer with MP3 capability; and DVD map navigation. More information is available at media.gm.com. Production of Lucerne starts in fourth quarter 2005 at the Detroit-Hamtramack manufacturing facility. That plant placed third in North/South America in the 2005 J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study. Following the Buick LaCrosse midsize sedan and Terraza crossover sport van, Lucerne is the third new vehicle in Buick's refreshed portfolio in just over 12 months.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buick, you just signed away your life. $27,000 for an aging full-size car with a weak V-6 engine and a 4-speed automatic transmission in 2006 against Avalon, 300, and Montego. Buh-bye Buick, hate to see you go like this... BTW, how is Lucerne not a replacement for LeSabre/Park Avenue? Must've been stupid PR-speak for "I have nothing good to say about this car." Edited by Mule Bakersdozen LS

Great price with alot of equipment. I think they'll see alot of them go out the door from current LeSabre owners, and conquest owners. The car is stunning and the price is right. You might not like it Mule Bakersdozen LS, but overall the press does.

Not too bad, I guess, but get used to seeing 90% Gold and Silver painted ones wearing the most hideous Buick hubcaps and a front bench seat on a dealer lot coming to you soon.....just hope the Lucerne looks better as a "base" than the LeSabre does. Comparison to the 300/300C and it's $24-34k base, RWD, and bolder looks is inevitable, but it should still do strongly. Similarly, it better have as good of driving characteristics, refinement, and materials like the Avalon. Edited by caddycruiser

The 300 platform isn't all that fresh. It's based on the previous gen of MB E-class only 2 or so years younger then the most recent G-bodies. RWD is only a virtue for members of this site. For the target audience of former LeSabre, Park Ave, Continental, LHS owners, FWD is a virtue. For the LeSabre and PA owners, the 3800 will be familiar and safe. The Northstar should satisfy Continental owners. The 185 hp 3800 is so close in power output to the ES's 190hp that it won't be an issue for those people.

Seems to be priced right. I know many people who don't mind FWD and do not like the high belt line of the 300C. My father who is 55 and a dentist loves the new Lucerne. He plans to get a CXS this fall to complement my mom's Town and Country Limited. I really think this will sell well. It looks so much better than the Lacrosse and offer's a high tech V8.

27 grand for a pushrod v6 with no power..........

otherwise they might be ok pricing wise.

the 3800 is a joke offering in this car.

[post="18494"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, that actually seems like it will be more of the problem. It has the fuel economy issue aced, but might be too much of a dud powerwise for such a relatively large, new luxury sedan.

Then again, the lower models ARE replacing the LeSabre, in effect, and they've done fine for years with the 3.8L, albeit unimpressive as they were.

While I'll agree that the 3.6VVT would have been a better choice. The 3800 isn't horrible. Compaired to the Camry's 190 hp, it's right in line, and it has 227 ft/lbs of torque at 3800rpm compaired to the Toyota's 197 ft/lbs at 4400rpm.

If you've ever driven a modern 3800 you'll know that most of that torque hits at around 1,700 rpm so it should still feel quick off the line.

But again, you can get into a Northstar for just 30k. It's almost like buying a DTS-lite for 30k. The people who recognise that will have the advantage. The LeSabre/88/LHS drivers will probably enjoy this car in V6 form.

Yeah, that actually seems like it will be more of the problem.  It has the fuel economy issue aced, but might be too much of a dud powerwise for such a relatively large, new luxury sedan.

Then again, the lower models ARE replacing the LeSabre, in effect, and they've done fine for years with the 3.8L, albeit unimpressive as they were.

[post="18514"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Wasn't LeSabre the best selling full sized car after the 88 was axed?

Not too bad, I guess, but get used to seeing 90% Gold and Silver painted ones wearing the most hideous Buick hubcaps and a front bench seat on a dealer lot coming to you soon.....just hope the Lucerne looks better as a "base" than the LeSabre does.

[post="18448"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's one thing I am afraid of. I think the "base" models of these warmed over cars are doing more to hurt a potential Buick comeback anytime soon. If GM really wants Buick to come back they will at least make Buicks LOOK like luxury cars on the outside, and not rental specials.

I don't think I'm flipping for joy for the pricing, though this is right where Aurora pricing was years ago. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Have to wait and see how they drive.

I dont know.  After seeing a couple DTSs this week, maybe a black DTS would be worth the extra 15k.  Those are truly impressive cars when you see them in person.

[post="18540"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

helly yes - neighbor down the street just got a goldish one, why that color I don't know.

But the grille (foreshadowing of the escalade grille) and front looks so much better in person, and the cabin is first rate, i mean just beautiful. Edited by jbartley

there isnt anything wrong with that engine... it was a quick camaro, a strong accelorator in the lasabre, i wouldnt say it was a bad choice...

sure its no V8, but to the average Toyota/Honda buyer, the thing is a race car... GM's HP is so much faster then Toyota's HP... donno why gearing? torque? Drive train loss? but it is...

I like the Lucerne a lot, and have even thought about getting one, but come on.  To say that it would compete with the Infinity M-35/45 is asking a lot.  It costs too much for too little features and then that name...

[post="18533"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I don't think anyone suggested that the Lucerne is M35/45 competition.

No, the competition for the Lucerne is the Grand Marquie, ES330, former Concord/LHS owners that don't like the new 300s, Camry owners that want to move up but don't like the Avalon, LeSabre, Park Ave, 88, 98 and Aurora owners.

The M35/45 competes with the CTS and STS at GM.

I believe the LeSabre started its run as the best selling full-sized car in the early 1990's, well before the Eighty Eight died in 1999.

[post="18571"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

True. The LeSabre has always been a strong seller. I just hope the "name game" doesn't screw this car initially, like it did with the G6. Lucerne sounds fresher and cooler in my opinion, but I think with the Buick lots being devoid of LeSabres and stocked with new Lucernes instead, it won't take long at all for the typical blue hair buyer to make the switch.

For example, for the longest time after the Lacrosse was introduced, I only ever saw ONE within 20 miles of my house, and it was the same one--a silver blue CXS. Stayed that way for some time, but now, especially after the discounts, they're everywhere--and the local lot seems to have experienced a "switch", being out of Lacrosse's, but full of Century and Regal trade-ins. Edited by caddycruiser

3800 has no power? What a crock. Unlike the sludge prone Toyota V-6s this motor just runs and runs and runs. Bottom line is if I was buying a car to race from light to light, it wouldn't be a Lucerne. But if I was doing 200 mile trips on the weekends, who really gives a crap as long as it goes forever and costs nothing to do it?

I'm VERY happy with the pricing of this car for 2 reasons. Any higher, and I wouldn't have thought it was worth it. And the fact that it only goes into the mid-30's means Buick will indeed have a flagship :) There's no way GM will let Buick top out at mid 30's. Maybe upper 40's, but not mid 30's.

I thought the 300 shared a rear axle with the E-class and a transmission and that was about it? I know it shares a specific component, but the LX cars are mostly all Chrysler, MB came on after they were done and donated that part to demonstrate the cost savings possible.

helly yes - neighbor down the street just got a goldish one, why that color I don't know.

But the grille (foreshadowing of the escalade grille) and front looks so much better in person, and the cabin is first rate, i mean just beautiful.

[post="18544"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

After seeing one in person I have to agree----but the rear leaves a lot to be desired. I didn't get to take a long look at it though, just a quick glance. From what I saw the front was impressive (though it seemed to be propped up towards the sky), and the rear was bland and old-style looking.

3800 has no power?

What a crock.

Unlike the sludge prone Toyota V-6s this motor just runs and runs and runs.

Bottom line is if I was buying a car to race from light to light, it wouldn't be a Lucerne. But if I was doing 200 mile trips on the weekends, who really gives a crap as long as it goes forever and costs nothing to do it?

[post="18584"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I thought it was only 4 banger Toyotas that sludge? :rolleyes:

I like the Lucerne a lot, and have even thought about getting one, but come on.  To say that it would compete with the Infinity M-35/45 is asking a lot.  It costs too much for too little features and then that name...

[post="18533"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I like the Lucerne alot. I think that the M and GS were mentioned because, according to Buick's decree a while back, they want to be a Lexus alternative. I alsways assumed that that meant having a similar lineup, and that a RWD flagship would eventually be placed above the Lucerne for the LS. Anyway, I think that they're on the right track. The Lucerne has the looks and feel to be a value alternative to the M and GS. I disagree with you on the features... the press release let us know that the Lucerne will have a host of features that rivals the comp, including exclusives like heated windshield fluid and the remote start. The glaring problems with the Lucerne when compared to the others two is the powertrain and wheel drive. I'm hoping that the with the next gen, after it's established, Buick will finally which to RWD and put in the CTS's DOHC 3.5 V6 as a base and the Northstar making between 300-350hp. Then, on paper, it'll compare much more favorably with the M and GS. But the comparison is valid. In fact, I'm happy that Buick mentioned those cars as competitors. It lets us know that they're long term goal is to truly be a Lexus killer.

3800 has no power?

What a crock.

Unlike the sludge prone Toyota V-6s this motor just runs and runs and runs.

Bottom line is if I was buying a car to race from light to light, it wouldn't be a Lucerne. But if I was doing 200 mile trips on the weekends, who really gives a crap as long as it goes forever and costs nothing to do it?

[post="18584"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

THAT WAS MY THOUGHTS (ABOUT THE FLAGSHIP). WITH THE BASE TOPPING AT ONLY $36K, THEY'RE SURE TO PUT A FULL SIZE FLAGSHIP ABOVE THE LUCERNE! A VELITE TOO, PERHAPS??? :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone suggested that the Lucerne is M35/45 competition.

No, the competition for the Lucerne is the Grand Marquie, ES330, former Concord/LHS owners that don't like the new 300s, Camry owners that want to move up but don't like the Avalon, LeSabre, Park Ave, 88, 98 and Aurora owners.

The M35/45 competes with the CTS and STS at GM.

[post="18573"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I disagree. The article suggested the M and GS as competiton. The Lacrosse is poised to compete with the ES (though it needs revisions, IMO, including the 3.5L DOHC V6 as it's only engine choince, not an option). Buick has every intention of the Lucerne going against the majors. GM believes there's room for both the Lucerne and STS in the same class. They'll be on polar opposites of the field in terms of price and what they stand for. The Lucerne will be the value leader for the entire class with a more compliant ride and quiet, strong power (a Lexus alternative). The STS is edgy, modern, and will go against the best in class (focusing on the Germans (and Infiniti) in making more driver oriented cars). There is truly room for them to coexist. I do think some changes should be made. The 3.5L DOHC should be the base, and the Northstar should make 315HP (so what about the DTS). I also think it should be RWD. Maybe on the next platform... but I don't think those changes will step on the STS's toes. It'll just be seen as a more viable competitor to that class of luxury. Edited by titan

I think that's very fair pricing. You'd have to be a monumental idiot to buy a CXL V8 Lucerne instead of a CXS LaCrosse at MSRP, IMO. The Avalon fares better if you compare base models ($26,990 192-hp CX vs. $27,165 268-hp XL, $28,990 192-hp, leather-appointed CXL vs. $29,415, leather-appointed 268-hp Touring), but they're very close with more equipment ($35,990 275-hp CXS vs. $34,355 268-hp Limited).

I think the 3800 is getting replaced by the 3900 or 3.6L HF V6 for 2006.

Anyways, the pricing is pretty good, although I think another grand lower for the base model would be better.

Lucerne CXL V8 offers a 275 horsepower Northstar V8 that can go head to head against high end imports like the Lexus GS and Infiniti M, both with MSRPs which start above $45,000.

:lol: I can't believe they said it somehow competes with those two. Maybe the engine can compete with the engines in those two, but there's no way the Lucerne does.

a 27 grand price point deserves more refinement and performance than what the 3800 offers.  GM shouldn't get an exception for this because all the other competition will have better under the hood at that price.

[post="18660"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Have you ever driven the 3800? It's extremely refined, and smoth as silk. I think the Lucerne deserves more performance and sophistication. If you meant sophistication when you said refinement then I agree with you. But the engine itself is a smooth as slik, bullitproof unit that sips gas. It's just not right for this car, IMO.

The CXL V8 at 31k isn't bad. The problem with the old pushrod V6 is that it sounds less refined outside of the car. I'm sure the lucerne will sound as quiet inside as a Lexus due to Buick's recent sttempts to quell cabin noise, but it's the sound you hear when standing outside of the car that doesn't match up with more modern engines. Also, a sub 200hp rating isn't going to help the car in any comparisons. Even if the engine's torque rating is ample, the media will blast the car for only having 197hp. Thus the quality gap perception will continue.

First of all the 3800 is not as smooth as silk. I have owned everything from 1985 Park Aves to 1998 Grand Prixs, a 2000 Lesabre and Impala and have driven 2005 LaCrosses and all sorts of 90's H-bodies and such. These engines are pretty smooth and quiet in the big cars but are downright noisy and harsh sounding in the smaller cars. The LaCrosse was the only exception. It was about the same as my full sized LeSabre. However even my LeSabre had a throb when first started in the morning and didn't always idle smoothly. These engines aren't even in the same ballpark as a Camry V6 or even dare I say it a Duretec Taurus when installed in the W-bodies. They have loud sounding exhausts and are raspy when revved. After they get some miles on them they whine like a blender with bad bearings. My 98 Prix, 00 Impala and LeSabre all did this with over 50K. They all also ate intake manifolds and all but the LeSabre leaked oil out of the pan and used over a quart of oil every 1000 miles when they got up to 100K. Don't get me wrong these are indeed reliable motors but are not the mythical perfect motors that some make them out to be. As far as the Lucerne goes GM should be ashamed offering this engine is series III format with less power in a heavier car. Yes the Lucerne weights almost 400 lbs more than the LeSabre and has the same lazy 2.86:1 gears. This is for sure not going to be a quick or satisfying car in V6 form.

Buick is on its way to becoming a niche brand. They need to do an upward march, but its core of LeSabre and Century buyers is being abandoned. The Lucerne nameplate is trying to appease luxury car buyers and entry level full-size sedan buyers. Kind of like how the final Aurora had to satisfy 88, Aurora, and 98 buyers, and the result will not be big sales.

The Sienna reviews on MSN tell quite the tale about the V-6.

It's the V-6 that has the problem.

http://www.licquia.org/archives/2005/06/12...nd-reputations/

[post="18671"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Have that page bookmarked or something, I'm on my 2nd engine, my friend's Camry V6 is on his 3rd, my friend's 4runner, my uncle's 1st gen Sienna, my neighbor's ES300...yeah all of us have failing motors. :rolleyes:

Sorry buster, but Toyota's 3.0L V6 runs EXACTLY the same at 125kmi as they do when purchased, problem free. If your going to insult Toyota reliability at least find an actual problem, they do exist btw. I'll save you some time Toyota engines and trannys don't make the list.