Here's your '08 CTS sneak peek pic

Chris_Doane

I like the big, bold grille..that is one thing that Mercedes is missing these days..their grilles aren't big enough, IMHO...the big in-your-face grille was one of things I loved about the classic W126 SELs of the '80s and early '90s.

I think it is just about exactly the same, just from a slightly different angle, which makes it look different.

I was thinking something similar... While from what I can see, there is no difference between the two, the angle of the shot makes the 60 min clip look pretty bold and aggressive, while the new shot head on looks almost 'cute'.. don't know how else to put that. Edited by mjdecker

Lincoln is officially dead, if they even remotely think that their Zeph (oops) MKZ stands a chance against this (even though they probably aren't direct competitors) they are waaaayyy bigger fools than I had thought, this CTS is going to strike hard at the way alot of people think of Cadillac.

this CTS is going to strike hard at the way alot of people think of Cadillac.

230323[/snapback]

I'm not sure I agree -- that is, it looks great, but to a casual observer it looks like an evolution of the current CTS, not something that completely resets the game.

It's a little blingy for me, and I think someone thought a little too hard about a 300 while they were drawing that face, but it's very well done and if the execution is there I think the car's a winner.

:AH-HA_wink: I am buying lotto tickets by the truck load at this point...Look what we have to look forward to in the next 0-18 months:

Malibu, CTS-V, Camaro Coupe and Convertible (if production claims and timeframe is met) CTS Coupe, blue devil Vette, The Kappa's in GXP and Redline trim, Enclave, Acadia, Outlook, Hybrid Tahoe and Denali, Buick Special?...Zeta Impala SS?

With all of this - I am going to need some money. Anyone want to help me scratch all these lotto things?

One thing is for certain: visits to local GM supercenters will be a hell of a lot more fun in the upcoming years.

Good job GM...thanks for the spark! Hand the Japs thier asses and show the world that a car is passion - not an appliance!

:AH-HA_wink: I am buying lotto tickets by the truck load at this point...Look what we have to look forward to in the next 0-18 months:

Malibu, CTS-V, Camaro Coupe and Convertible (if production claims and timeframe is met) CTS Coupe, blue devil Vette, The Kappa's in GXP and Redline trim,  Enclave, Acadia, Outlook, Hybrid Tahoe and Denali, Buick Special?...Zeta Impala SS? 

With all of this - I am going to need some money.  Anyone want to help me scratch all these lotto things? 

One thing is for certain: visits to local GM supercenters will be a hell of a lot more fun in the upcoming years.

Good job GM...thanks for the spark!  Hand the Japs thier asses and show the world that a car is passion - not an appliance!

230368[/snapback]

8) Dude I totally agree with you, need lots of money for all the great auto's coming out. :D

FYI, Japs is not the best term to use. A bit racist and has deragatory marks to WWII. Yea I know political correctness sucks, but Japanease did get us lazy americans to finally realize we needed to do things with quality since we were ignoring this important issue.

GM ROCKS!!! :ohyeah:

It looks good and the attention to detail looks amazing. I also understand the small criticisms that some have said. I'd like to add that it seems too busy. I just hope GM doesn't get bogged down like it did after the last CTS launch and put out just average Caddys. The momentum has to continue.

The grille alone is ugly. Badge size is okay. Headlamps and attention to detail are awesome. Gives me the same reaction as the current CTS, thanks, but I'll pass and take the STS with its better looking front end.

We know this car will lead the class in looks but to really lead the class it can not come in last place in magazine performance tests. All of its competitors have 300bhp V6s and if the CTS comes out with the biggest V6 being only 270bhp the magazines are going to have a field day. We all know that most magazines are reluctant to give a domestic car any props and that they will use its performance to over look its great looking interior and exterior.

My worries should prove to be unfounded though since GM has shown us that it is now a focused eyes open company. Since BMW has always been the main target of the CTS we can expect the top non V CTS to be close to an M3 in performance like the turbo 335i is.

We know this car will lead the class in looks but to really lead the class it can not come in last place in magazine performance tests. All of its competitors have 300bhp V6s and if the CTS comes out with the biggest V6 being only 270bhp the magazines are going to have a field day. We all know that most magazines are reluctant to give a domestic car any props and that they will use its performance to over look its great looking interior and exterior.

My worries should prove to be unfounded though since GM has shown us that it is now a focused eyes open company. Since BMW has always been the main target of the CTS we can expect the top non V CTS to be close to an M3 in performance like the turbo 335i is.

230687[/snapback]

Magazine comparison tests and where it actually fits in customer needs are two totally different things. This market has proven many different successful formulas can co-exist. The one primary factor is style and attention to detail/sophistication, another determinant in this class is performance, but it is farther behind than the first two.

The CTS engine is only .1L in displacement size larger than the competitors who have over 300 hp engine, and the 335 has a turbo [3.0]. The size disparity you claim really isn't all that much. I would like to see the DI engine with more than 300 hp available at launch, though. I think it's necessary to establish an image from the get-go, and the more powerful the engine the better statistics can be on the car from launch.

The IS offers a powerful engine and similar performance characteristics as the CTS[great handling/composed ride], but it is a much smaller car. The G35 offers similar packaging as the CTS [might even be roomier, in the back at least] and similar handling, and has that wonderful 300+ hp engine, but it isn't nearly as good looking as this next CTS is shaping up to be, which is subjective of course. The TL is powered similarly, and has similar packaging, but it has a highly regarded FWD chassis and isn't as distinctive as the CTS. The 3-series costs a lot more money for the same power, and isn't as roomy.

For the CTS to launch with 270hp wouldn't result in a sales failure or anything near to an underwhelming experience, but it would be disappointing not to come out of the gate with the best they can do.

Edited by turbo200

Murder the 3 how exactly? No competitor launched yet has made serious inroads against the BMW to dethrone it from the "top" or whatever its sitting upon. If it murders anything, it'll be the Lexus IS or Infiniti G35. The IS is a weakling engine coupled with a manual or powerhouse plus automatic and doddering electronic overload, and the Infiniti, is well, a bit coarse yet and was quite close to being an "ideal" Japanese 3, but not quite. I am looking forward to see how this dynamic new (and admittedly bold of course) CTS plays against the other big boys from Bavaria (A4, C-Class) as well as those listed from the Land of the Rising Sun and of course the others like the Acura TL, SAAB 9-3 (haha- let's not go into RWD vs FWD in cars from the same mother ship), Volvo S60, and whatever else may exist.