Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

I'm Weird

Cory Wolfe

So, it's no secret that I tend to have... cravings for certain cars at certain times. I was once wanted a Fiero and nothing else. Then I was stuck on 240SX's. Then came Miatas. However, those were all similar in that they were sporty and small. But lately... namely since I've bought my Millenia, I've been getting into mid to large sized luxury sedans. You could say I just love so many different cars (and obviously don't have a fit whether they're domestic or not). But this is turning into what my next purchase may be.

It's been obvious that I'm more than bored with my Milly. Its reliable, but due to the mileage, its not perfect. There's alot that needs to be done... from the tires I need, the axle thats getting worse, and the sensor/valve issue I havent fixed yet... to the rust thats developing around the right rear fender and all the other appearance related problems, its just something I don't want to get into. That and my brother does need a car since he is 16 now. He wants a truck but I know thats not going to happen. So, I could just give it to him and let my dad deal with the issues since they're minor and most of my problems just center around being bored with it and looking for excuses to move on to a something else in all honesty. :P

So, there's these cars that I've been falling in love with these past few weeks. I keep looking on autotrader and am always in disbelief of how cheap they can be had for... even ones in pristine condition. It's mind boggling. True big-cat luxury with my choice of 6, 8, or 12 cyclinders... all for an easily affordable price. I'm questionable about their reliability, but there's more to a car than that... and as Ive stated in the past, if I wanted reliability, I'd go ahead and buy an Accord or whatnot. Clicky.

yes well... the real reason you're weird is that you think an XJ looks better than a Quattroporte...

There's a 1980-something Mercedes-Benz 300SD at my local Chrysler dealership for around $4,000. :P

I'd get it just because it's a turbodiesel.

There's a 1980-something Mercedes-Benz 300SD at my local Chrysler dealership for around $4,000.  :P

230069[/snapback]

Don't do it! Those things have the worst turbo lag ever - horrible to drive.

BV, I have a Jag for you - it's a "kit" ! :AH-HA_wink:

Hmm...my dad's been talking about selling our XJ6 for a while now. It's older ('81), but it's got a nice 350 cid Small Block under the hood, and an assortment of cassette tapes in the trunk.

Lu-u-u-u-u-u-u-c-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-s

Guest YellowJacket894

Ah, I would buy something else. Not that there's anything wrong with a Jag, or the XJ, it's just, I don't know. It may be hard to believe, but owning one at any point of my life just isn't a priority on my list -- daydreaming or reality. I'm not big on Jaguar.

You know what I've always wanted to own? An Alfa Romeo -- like the 164 sedan they sold here before they decided to exit the U.S market. It's something you don't see everyday, either.

There's a 1980-something Mercedes-Benz 300SD at my local Chrysler dealership for around $4,000.  :P

230069[/snapback]

... why does your Benz-oh smell like McDonald's french frys? :D

Ah, I would buy something else. Not that there's anything wrong with a Jag, or the XJ, it's just, I don't know. It may be hard to believe, but owning one at any point of my life just isn't a priority on my list -- daydreaming or reality. I'm not big on Jaguar.

You know what I've always wanted to own? An Alfa Romeo -- like the 164 sedan they sold here before they decided to exit the U.S market. It's something you don't see everyday, either.

230139[/snapback]

Yes, well, these Jags being affordable puts them ahead of other vehicles. Sure I could buy something else, but for the money, it'd be less desireable. It's why I gave up on that Alfa GTV6.

I just got my new "Crap Cars" book by Richard Porter and the XJ6 is in it. Let's see what he has to say:

230228[/snapback]

Course, most of that is about its design... and doesnt take into consideration that you can buy a near pristine large luxury car with a V12 for under $4k. Since I personally like its design, I find it to be a screaming bargain. :P

But yes, I'm weird, and I have a craving for a Jaguar. :D

Oh snap: not again with the 'I've-already-decided-what-I-like-so-let's-have-a-thread-where-I-tell-you-all-with-some-degree-of-pointed-exasperation-and-biting-sarcasm-that-you-cannot-change-my-mind-and-regardless-of-what-horror-stories-about-my-new-favorite-car-you-might-have-knowledge-of-I-still-want-one-because-it's-da-bomb'.

Oh snap: not again with the 'I've-already-decided-what-I-like-so-let's-have-a-thread-where-I-tell-you-all-with-some-degree-of-pointed-exasperation-and-biting-sarcasm-that-you-cannot-change-my-mind-and-regardless-of-what-horror-stories-about-my-new-favorite-car-you-might-have-knowledge-of-I-still-want-one-because-it's-da-bomb'.

230254[/snapback]

Hahaha... I'm not decided on anything. I just have a craving for a Jaguar and even mentioned in my first post about realizing Jag's poor reputation as far as quality goes. I just think it'd be cool to own one considering how freaking cheap they are. I'm obviously dreaming, though, if you know me at all. If I go through with any Millenia replaceing car purchase it will probably be... hmm... another Millenia. :wink: :P

Hahaha... I'm not decided on anything. I just have a craving for a Jaguar and even mentioned in my first post about realizing Jag's poor reputation as far as quality goes. I just think it'd be cool to own one considering how freaking cheap they are. I'm obviously dreaming, though, if you know me at all. If I go through with any Millenia replaceing car purchase it will probably be... hmm... another Millenia. :wink: :P

230264[/snapback]

If you plan to replace it with the same car why not just fix it? :P

Dude there was one like yours (but aqua color) at the auction I got the Intrepid from. Looked beautiful...but the engine had oil all over it, the steering was too light and the brakes were screwed up. Someone bought it for more than $4,000...

The next day when we went to pick my car up I saw them flooring it down the parking lot...musta realized they bought a lemon..it was funny. It pays to look carefully! Just thought I'd share :P

96 Continental

230259[/snapback]

At that same auction I saw one of those sell for $850

Edited by Dodgefan

If you plan to replace it with the same car why not just fix it? :P

Dude there was one like yours (but aqua color) at the auction I got the Intrepid from. Looked beautiful...but the engine had oil all over it, the steering was too light and the brakes were screwed up. Someone bought it for more than $4,000...

The next day when we went to pick my car up I saw them flooring it down the parking lot...musta realized they bought a  lemon..it was funny. It pays to look carefully! Just thought I'd share :P

At that same auction I saw one of those sell for $850

230269[/snapback]

Well... uh... you see, my brother needs a car and it'd be nice of me to give him mine. Then we'd have two. :ohyeah:

Haha...

Well... uh... you see, my brother needs a car and it'd be nice of me to give him mine. Then we'd have two. :ohyeah:

Haha...

230289[/snapback]

Why not get him a cheaper car? Especially if he just learned to drive. You wouldn't wanna give him a real nice car only to have him wreck it :P Plus...where ya gonna get tehmoney for another Millenia. Stick him withs somethin' cheap :P

I just got my new "Crap Cars" book by Richard Porter

230228[/snapback]

Fun fact: The Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo in that book belonged to my friend Jen's boyfriend Corey. He just recently sold it and bought an '03 Chrysler 300M. The picture was taken in front of his mother's house here in Lowell, ASSachusetts.

Vipes: get a '94-'96 Buick Roadsmasher or Cadillac Fleetwood and have muscle in a very handsome and stately package; stay away from a Jag like the plague. I know they look cool, but I assume you'd like to be able to have the option of driving on rainy days too. The saying "Lord Lucas, Prince of Darkness" doesn't exist for nothing, y'know. :P

Why not get him a cheaper car? Especially if he just learned to drive. You wouldn't wanna give him a real nice car only to have him wreck it  Plus...where ya gonna get tehmoney for another Millenia. Stick him withs somethin' cheap

230304[/snapback]

Because I don't want mine. It's a nice car, but it was cheap and doesnt excite me anymore. I doubt I could get anything for it on trade in, and since I owe my parents, I could just give him it instead of them having to buy him one. As far as him wrecking it... oh well, haha. I don't really care. :P

Vipes: get a '94-'96 Buick Roadsmasher or Cadillac Fleetwood and have muscle in a very handsome and stately package; stay away from a Jag like the plague. I know they look cool, but I assume you'd like to be able to have the option of driving on rainy days too. The saying "Lord Lucas, Prince of Darkness" doesn't exist for nothing, y'know.  :P

230305[/snapback]

Haha... They're too big and I am not a fan of their styling. Wheel skirts... Ugh. :D

As far as what cars, I'm seriously considering... I really couldn't tell you guys. I just have certain cars I dream about and are pretty much unobtainable while I couldnt decide between the rest. Too many good cars out there. I guess it would depend on what I come across locally. Either way, I do want another car.

Don't worry, I'm very much happy with what I've got, I did buy it afterall. I'm just saying I want something else now. Half a year is too long for me. I was ready to trade in my GA after about 2 months. It didnt last long enough. That and I feel like giving it to my brother since he needs a car. Better than getting rid of it.

Yeah, it was cheap... I said that since it was cheap and Dodgefan asked "Why not get him something cheap?" Makes sense, does it not? Not to mention, being that it was cheap, makes it easier to move on without trading it in or selling it. Thats all I was saying.

Doesn't an attitude like that make you broke? You had the car for what, like half a year?

Be happy with what you got.

Seriously...

230313[/snapback]

Meh, my cars have sentimental value to me. Sure, there's bigger and better ones I want, but I'm more than happy with what I've got. Plus, I'm realistic I guess...there's tons of cars I want, but I'm not willing to get rid of what I have for them. Plus...if you just "give" it away...where do you plan to get the money to buy a new car?

• 2 weeks later...

If I had an extra $12k laying around... :P

2002 Millenia S - Black with cream on black

...I'd get one of those black with cream on black Millenias. :D

Edited by blackviper8891

Oh, you're very right about brand identity BV. I'm sure that Mercedes-Benz could really tell us all about how their cars look the same, just from different distances, hehe. C-, E-, or S-Class anyone?

Don't do it! Those things have the worst turbo lag ever - horrible to drive.

BV, I have a Jag for you - it's a "kit" ! :AH-HA_wink:

Oh, I wouldn't because I have my modern Plymouth Breeze with a 132 horsepower four pot under the hood, lol. I'm just saying, I'd get it because it's fromt he 1980's, would be rather efficient for its size, and with a car like that, I don't suppose I'd ever be in a hurry, lol. It just caught my attention. If I were going from something from the 1980's though, I'd probably pursue an EEK (Every Extended K) car that's NOT one of the garden variety cars or a Buick Skyhawk.

... why does your Benz-oh smell like McDonald's french frys? :D

Because I work there and am saturated with the fumes??? Hehe.

Edited by MyerShift

I can kind of see why you would crave an older jag. You are right about picking them up real cheap..there is an 88 XJS with only 46,000 miles on eBay with a bin of only $4,900. I would love to have late 80's/early 90's XJS coupe but don't know what I would do if it ever needed repair. You get good looks and a lot of car for the money but like most jags, a lot of costly repairs as well.