Suburban isn't going to work

Dsuupr

So our 1999 Suburban isn't going to work for us, for different reasons. With that, I've told my wife it's going up for sale, and her next vehicle HAS to be under warranty.

Here is our dilemma. The vehicle must carry 4 kids and 2 adults comfortably for long road trips, be able to accommodate a stroller behind the 3rd seat with a few bags of groceries, be under warranty for at least 12,000 to 15,000 miles, have the typical equipment (A/C, PW, PL, Cruise, etc) and cost under $18,000.

GM's options;

CSVs - Ugly, nice interior, decent ride, but just ugly

Rendezvous – Just not enough space behind the 3rd row

Trailblazer EXT / Envoy EXT – Just a little bit too expensive

UGH!! GM why couldn't you make a nice looking minivan!!

What are the reasons why the suburban won't work (other than the warranty part)? I would honestly think that would be your best bet.

We had a suburban before we got our X5...In my opinion it was somewhat of a downgrade. It isn't good at all for long trips...the ride is very sporty and can be harsh...it isn't nearly as comfortable as the suburban was, and obviously the suburban had much more space. The X5 is like a car trying to be an SUV trying to be a car. I have mixed feelings about it...but that's an X5, so that's a different story...

Edited by Nick

The Suburban is having a hesitation issue that the mechanic can't seem to solve. They've had it for over 2 weeks (and $2300) now with no luck.

They have fixed things that are broken due to lack of care of the vehicle, and they are now not charging us for anything being done.

If I thought you'd even consider it, I'da say look into a 2-3 year olf Kia Sedona. They're warrantied pretty much forever and are really nice cruisers, the only drawback is the fact that the weight drags down performance and economy. Coming out of a Suburban, neither of those aspects will seem too bad. Oh, and they sell for a lot less than Toyota and Honda vans which aren't much better transportation.

We don't buy no foreign junk.

I have a hard time with our national debt being something we can't pay back as it is. I'm not going to screw my kids by adding to it.

And for those of you that are willing; I expect you to be the ones writing the $25,000 check per person for my family.

Seriously, give the Astro a look. This one is pretty sweet looking.

This pic should answer any questions you have about the rear cargo space:

Posted Image

The two rear seats do come out when you need more cargo space. I've alsways liked the Astro. These things ride and haul like a truck more than a van. No reason to think you can't have 90% of the utility of the Suburban with one of these, while getting better mileage and lower insurance payments.

And if it really is too small, there's always the Express/Savanna.

I think Z has the right idea. But, I'm wondering what the deal is on the Suburban(how many miles?, What has the mechanic done that cost $2,300?, What else is wrong with it?). A Suburban seems like the ideal vehicle for you and there are tons of used ones around here that would fit your criteria, if yours is really hopeless.

These things ride and haul like a truck more than a van. No reason to think you can't have 90% of the utility of the Suburban with one of these, while getting better mileage and lower insurance payments.

And if it really is too small, there's always the Express/Savanna.

231086[/snapback]

My mom has an 04 astro AWD for work and has never cracked 13MPG with it (my suburban gets 14-15 most of the time), plus astros are big, uncomfortable, underpowered, turds on wheels. I wish that thing would fall off the face of the earth someday, provided my mother was not in it. I'm sorry if anyone likes these things, I can't stand them. The only thing that is somewhat appealing about them is that most are equipped with AWD, at least in this part of the world. Otherwise compaired to a suburban they sit higher, offer you less control behind the wheel, take up almost as much room in the garage, get worse mileage (if you don't believe me about the mileage, this is her second astro, the first one a 2001 and was equally as bad), and look like garbage.

I think that you need another suburban. for 18000 you could probably work you way into a nice used 2001-2002 LT and probably up to a 2003-04, if leather and all the luxeries aren't important to you.

Edited by scharmer05

We thought of those, but the crash test results are just too scarey.

230728[/snapback]

I'm sure if you strap a couple pillows to the dash, you should be good. :P

Oh, speaking of, why not a last-generation Durango?

231205[/snapback]

They suck?... Unless if they have the 5.9...

Edited by Captainbooyah

We don't buy no foreign junk. 

I have a hard time with our national debt being something we can't pay back as it is.  I'm not going to screw my kids by adding to it.

And for those of you that are willing; I expect you to be the ones writing the $25,000 check per person for my family.

231082[/snapback]

It doesn't matter if it's used.

It doesn't matter if it's used.

231335[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly. Buying used only benefits the dealership and the finance company. Unless you get a used Kia throught Kia Motor Finance, none of your money goes to them. In fact, if you get it repaired under warranty Kia pays for that so you could, in theory, cost them money.

Let me try this again.

We don't buy no foreign junk. We will not do ANYTHING to promote them in ANY way. As far as I'm concerned, they are a cancer to our economy and besides, they hurt my eyes.

With that said, our mechanic has promised to figure out the problem and not charge us for the fix, no matter what. It's staying with us, atleast until I get another raise and we can get an Acadia or new Suburban.

Let me try this again.

We don't buy no foreign junk. We will not do ANYTHING to promote them in ANY way. As far as I'm concerned, they are a cancer to our economy and besides, they hurt my eyes.

With that said, our mechanic has promised to figure out the problem and not charge us for the fix, no matter what. It's staying with us, atleast until I get another raise and we can get an Acadia or new Suburban.

So do you have a problem with Dodge Caravans? Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep or Ford in general? Or are they ok?

My mom has an 04 astro AWD for work and has never cracked 13MPG with it (my suburban gets 14-15 most of the time), plus astros are big, uncomfortable, underpowered, turds on wheels. I wish that thing would fall off the face of the earth someday, provided my mother was not in it. I'm sorry if anyone likes these things, I can't stand them. The only thing that is somewhat appealing about them is that most are equipped with AWD, at least in this part of the world. Otherwise compaired to a suburban they sit higher, offer you less control behind the wheel, take up almost as much room in the garage, get worse mileage (if you don't believe me about the mileage, this is her second astro, the first one a 2001 and was equally as bad), and look like garbage.

I think that you need another suburban. for 18000 you could probably work you way into a nice used 2001-2002 LT and probably up to a 2003-04, if leather and all the luxeries aren't important to you.

a work buddy has an Astro AWD and the thing sucks fuel.

hate to say it, but, DCX minivan. Again, i will point out another opportunity why minivans are a segment that should not be cast aside.

Edited by regfootball

So really what you are saying is that you buy only "foreign junk." :P

:pokeowned:

Seriously, I can respect your reasons for not wanting an import but you have to realize how difficult that makes things especially in this instance with minivans where the domestics don't have particularly strong offerings.

But this all seems to be moot right now, anyway.

I've, we've, done the foreign thing. They are overhyped, overrated vehicles. The nissan & toyota we owned put us on the side of the road and took more of our money than any other car that has been in our driveway. Sad part, both had less miles than the Suburban that is currently eating my money, and both cars had 100x the issues.

There's an '88 Caprice wagon for $700 around the corner from me. Needs an AC compressor and a headliner. Why not?

Serioulsy dude... either go B-body wagon or keep the 'Burban.

What happened to the Suburban anyway? Why the sudden change of heart? :mellow:

The last Sedona was rather junky, warranty or not. Plus, Kia dealerships aren't the most pleasent places, Sound of Music not withstanding.

Apparently, the biggest thing standing in the way of a CSV is its ugliness. Well, honestly, too bad. For the criteria you specified, a CSV would fit the bill perfectly. They're dirt cheap, rather safe, and ride very well. They're also not quite as big or heavy as other vans in the segment.

2006 Uplander | 5100mi | $14,995

2006 Montana SV6 | 6430mi | $15,444

I would personally seriously consider these if I had the need for a van. Again, the price is unbeatable. A second non-GM choice would be the Freestyle. These are really good vehicles, better than a minivan if you don't care about sliding doors. Plus, plenty of space behind the rear seats.

While they get constantly bashed on...I'd look at a Ford FreeStyle AWD...they're HUGE inside. As an overall value for a "family truckster" they're hard to beat.

A quick ebay example: link

My dad's had a 2006 FreeStyle SEL AWD for a year now with no issues.

Edited by BigPontiac