Sign in to follow this  
mustang84

RWD Lincoln Flagship in 2008

38 posts in this topic

mustang84    12

Posted Image

"The Lincoln MKR Concept is sophisticated and modern, resembling an athlete - extremely strong and fit but looks elegant in a tuxedo," said Horbury. "This concept is the ultimate expression of elegant simplicity consistent with the world's best Lincolns, and this new design language will lead us forward in the growing premium segment."

Lincoln’s next rear-wheel drive flagship sedan, which the company has said will be out in 2008, will borrow heavily from the MKR. The TwinForce engine and six-speed automatic transmission are sure to make production, but so will much of the MKR's silhouette and athletic proportions.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee96b0c

Edit: Reading comprehension skills (doh)...a RWD flagship sedan borrowing cues from the MKR will be out in 2008, not the MKR as I originally posted

Edited by mustang84

turbo200    6

let's hope some of the concept's most extreme elements translate, as that would be a stand out design for Lincoln. Memo to Lincoln: don't tone down a thing and it will sell.

ocnblu    733

Wow, that's pretty quick, I guess they're either already testing mules on a stretched Mustang platform, or they've designed the next Aussie Falcon to work in the USA. This is great news! I'm wondering if this will replace the Town Car or just be a late replacement, sizewise, for the LS. It seems more LS-sized to me, which is fine.

A couple of things would need to be changed for production, though. The side mirrors are too small to be useful, and the dramatic, very cool grille presents a problem in meeting low-speed bumper damage rules, I imagine.

I really hope FoMoCo can pull this renaissance off. Lincoln has been pooping on the rug far too long.

regfootball    234

Wow, that's pretty quick, I guess they're either already testing mules on a stretched Mustang platform, or they've designed the next Aussie Falcon to work in the USA. This is great news! I'm wondering if this will replace the Town Car or just be a late replacement, sizewise, for the LS. It seems more LS-sized to me, which is fine.

A couple of things would need to be changed for production, though. The side mirrors are too small to be useful, and the dramatic, very cool grille presents a problem in meeting low-speed bumper damage rules, I imagine.

I really hope FoMoCo can pull this renaissance off. Lincoln has been pooping on the rug far too long.

you're such the design critic, blu.

BTW, this car f'ing rocks. its a sexy bitch. :rolleyes:

sciguy_0504    0

I wonder if Ford has the balls to pull off something this bold. I hope so: I love it.

It will surprise me if Ford puts out anything that closely resembles this. I like it, too. Does this mean the MKS is dead?

It will surprise me if Ford puts out anything that closely resembles this. I like it, too. Does this mean the MKS is dead?

It sounds like this is above it...the MKS concept looked pretty close to production ready..

A production MKS would be on the FWD/AWD Five Hundred/Montego platform, I think...I wonder what platform a production car based on this MKR concept would be on...probably not the Panther...maybe a stretched Mustang platform with IRS, the Aussie Falcon family platform, or something new?

Edited by moltar

MyerShift    7

I happen to think it's hideous with that grille setup.

I like it, it's cool... but this is better looking by far!

Posted Image

SoCalCTS    25

Hmmm... I like it.

I'd have to see the interior but so far it looks like I could switch from Cadillac to Lincoln.

I sure hope GM is showing a Cadillac coupe at the NAIAS!

Satty    338

:puke:

What he said, only twice as much. It looks so cheesy, I know it was a 90's concept but it looks like a bad 70's concept car. Yuk!

balthazar    1,875

I'm with Dodgefan & Satty: that black Lincoln strikes me as too heavily 1980s at this point (tho there are design elements worth saving from it).

The MKR is easily one of the best concept/production exteriors of this decade, IMO- it's growing quickly on me every time I see the pic. And I haven't strongly admired a Lincoln design since the Mark II.

OCcarnut    0

I say that we should ALL IGNORE THIS THING...hot or not. Lincoln has done nothing but tease with concept cars that have no shot at production, nor the slightest hint of "trickle down" of any of the design elements...talk about failure to launch...all they are doing is trying to get people to show up at their otherwise lame ass booths on the auto show circuits....what have they put out?? the MKX, MKZ, the "revised" Navigator L...it is all spin..where is the V8 MKS, oh yeah..all of a sudden the V8 is too expensive, but let's put it in the "first ever" V8 Volvo..makes sense... and everybody, especially the media should ignore it...let them sink until the REALLY build something. who has done less with more than Lincoln?

Okay...I am done bitching now.

Innotech    0

ok, be realistic here. Theres no way the future Lincoln will look like the MKR concept and if it did, nobody would buy it. Its nowhere near practical. that said, I love the MKR and wouldl ike to see elements of it in a new Lincoln lineup.

This is the first Lincoln since the Mark VII LSC and Mark VIII, that I would be proud to own and be seen :idhitit:

You all realize the car they are talking about is the production version of the MKS right? If you think you're getting a production MK-R you're dreaming.

It sounds like they are talking about a production version of the MKR...different car--the MKS is an AWD model based on the Five Hundred/Montego, isn't it?

Drew Dowdell    4,989

This is about 1000 times better looking and 1000 times more produceable. Had it come out as a 2003 model in 2002, Lincoln would have been in a completely different situation today.

Posted Image

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this