Sign in to follow this  
regfootball

EDGE spotting

Checked out the Edge at the dealer today.

Base model, only option, block heater.

Dark garnet red with grey interior.

Since this was the base model with a 26k MSRP I am being fair based on price.

First off, the black door handles and trim needs to go. This 80's era tactic of putting black trim on instead of body color for cheaper versions is out of date aand unwarranted.

Second off, the base wheels and tires looked small in comparo to the rest of the exterior. I am sure the upgraded versions fill out the wheel wells better.

OK, now that we are past that. The exterior looks surprisingly less crisp in the flesh than pictures. Maybe its the color. In any case, it looks low rakish and handsome...defintely not edgy. Its a nicer shape than the Murano though I think. I would prefer a body color grille.

Ok, size......its a nice size. Perfect size for a 'personal crossover'. The thing that becomes obvious is that one, its less commodious in the cargo area than the explorer. Two, they really could stretch this thing and square off the back and make a 3 row crossover.

In any case, its very garagable and sexy and will register as a 'mid size' to many which is where the appeal will be.

The next thing that becomes apparent is how spacious the interior is for seating. It looks nice and wide and the rear leg room is extremely generous. It is really like my Aztek, 3 can sit comfortably in the back. This is useful to families who may only want a 2 row vehicle for nimble handling, but still need to get one car seat in the back and have 2 adults in addition to that as well.

The cargo area looks good sized, but maybe is a bit short of what I imagined. In honestly, the trunk of my 500 is longer from the back seat to the bumper I think but obviously crossovers have the advantage of a taller and more flexible cargo area, which is a main reason people buy them. It seems like the rear shape fo the hatch does intrude a bit too much for my tastes into the cargo area. That's the price of style.

I used to criticize the interior design, but seeing it through the glass it looked pretty cool. It looked ok. That's about it as far as plastics. I think they could improve the door panel design and the pastics quality and grain. But the shape fo the dash and console stack and such are pretty interesting. The center stack radio looks like crap. The basic climate controls looked ok. I really hate the ford auto climate controls that are optional. Ford should redo the center stack to give it lots more bling and interest. This needs ot be done NOW. The door panels need to be redone NOW. They are not horrible; they just need to look better and more expensive.

The front seats look nice and wide and coddling. My guess is the cloth seats are grippy enough. The cloth design is a bit conservative, but not offensive. Some of the faux metal accents including the steak knife into the console could be real metal and look a lot better.

Overall, Ford is close I think on the presentation. I think the size is perfect and it looks like a very usable vehicle. They need to add more bling to this thing and upgrade the interior. I think if they know what's good for them ,they will pull out the stops needed to improve the nitcpicky things I mentioned. Add a manumatic and direct injection upgrade engine and also a single panel sunroof for those who want it. They could sell the snot out of things if they just take the effort to make it a knockout. As it stands it should do good, but it could do very very well.

Edited by regfootball

Good write-up. I have yet to see one in person...none of the dealers in my area have an Edge or MKX yet. I watched a video on YouTube of someone that got their hands on an Edge and that thing moves! Nice throaty engine sound too.

Here are the vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grrWZoyLfIs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4D2ZhnGa_w

I was pleasantly surprised by the base Edge I saw today. The smaller wheels and black door handles made it seem more utilitarian and SUV-like. At $26K, it seems reasonable. Pile on the sunroof, leather, AWD, and nav, however, and the price suddenly shoots up $37K.

Good write-up. I have yet to see one in person...none of the dealers in my area have an Edge or MKX yet. I watched a video on YouTube of someone that got their hands on an Edge and that thing moves! Nice throaty engine sound too.

Here are the vids

That seems slow to me, but I guess it's not bad considering size and weight. If I didn't have a GTO it would probably seem fast enough.

Here are the vids

duratecs have always have a good engine note when pushing the throttle, but too often the cars they have been in have not had anything in the way of noise abatement. This new one sounds pretty sweet, as long as its not overbearing and as long as ford put in some soundproofing for all the road noise, then it will help the engine's pleasing noises stand out better.

I was pleasantly surprised by the base Edge I saw today. The smaller wheels and black door handles made it seem more utilitarian and SUV-like. At $26K, it seems reasonable. Pile on the sunroof, leather, AWD, and nav, however, and the price suddenly shoots up $37K.

only the morons will fork over that much, 37k. the market is so competitive now, by march we'll have 2-3k discounts and maybe a rebate, plus auto show discounts.

Well, I took the 500 in for an oil change today (free cookies from the bakery and kick ass coffee in the lounge) and they had a couple edge on the floor so I checked the inside out.

I think its ok. Certainly its not dreadful but at the same time it does not impress in any overwhelming way.

Cloth seats. All the cheap Ford switchgear. A lot of the ergonomics felt off to me, except that it has a telescoping steering wheel, which was handy. The gauges seemed a bit off as did the shifter. Maybe I just didn't have the seat set right. The windhsield felt like a bit of of a mailslot, but maybe that is compared to my wide open 500. My Aztek has a bit of a mailslot feel to it. Why are they designing all these cars to feel like bunkers?

The seats felt decent and are nice and wide. The rear seats were problematic. You had to climb up to use them and therefore it didn't feel like a lot of legroom. Its a car, set the floor level low enough to use the leg room!

Trunk room seemed spacious for a 2 row personal crossover.

While my overall impression of the interior was not negative, to me it did not repsresent a huge step up over the 500 I already have. In fact, the 500 is easier to get in and out of and has more usable leg space in the back seat.

I think if I were single the Edge would make more sense. But I think a 3 row is a better idea for me, ala OUTLOOK or ACADIA. The Outlook's interior is nicer and is a more usable vehicle. The freestyle still has engine deficiencies and a drab interior and dull exterior.

Oddly enough there was an Equinox parked next to one of the Edge's outside. The Edge is noticably bigger, especially in width. I bet however, the leg space might be more comfy in the back seat of the NOX.

I saw an Edge at the dealer yesterday. Compared to the Acadia at the GMC dealer on the same plot of land, it looks like crap.

I need to see an Edge with leather and without the black trim. But yeah, the Lambda comes off MUCH better.

There was a lot of folks looking at the Edge's though. Lots of interest.

Edited by regfootball

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook