Sign in to follow this  
BB_454

Ford and Toyota teaming up?

22 posts in this topic

Link to article

Top executives from Toyota and Ford met in Tokyo recently to discuss a potential partnership between the companies, according to a report by Japan's Nihon Keizai Shimbun. The meeting was reportedly held at Ford's request. Toyota Chairman Fujio Cho and Ford President and Chief Executive Officer Alan Mulally met last week as a first step. Mark Fields also attended the meeting. The two parties plan to meet again in January for further talks, the business newspaper said.

Maybe this is just another calculated step Toyota thinks it needs to make in order to bo more American.

Edited by BB_454

GM and Toyota have partnerships, and Ford does use Toyota hybrid technology, so I doubt this will be anything major at all.

Ford has a deal with GM on trannys too, but I think this is more than that.

Ford is still in deep do do and really has little set in a golded ticket out of their problems. Many have left for like rats jumping from a sinking ship.

They have begged for a dance partner to GM Nissan and now Toyota. These are signs of a company unable to keep their head above water.

I think when this is all over those who wrote GM off will really look the fool as Ford may go the way of Chrysler.

Ford's website says this is nothing unusual:

"We meet regularly with other automakers on a variety of topics of mutual interest"

I don't know if I support this...technological partnership's are always ok...but I can't see a Renault-Nissan or DCX-type arrangement working in their favor.

I hope it happens along the lines of the DCX "partnership".

Toyota and Ford are both expendable to me but I have no

l will towards Toyota, this way Ford might drag Toyota

down financially for a win/win. :)

I hope it happens along the lines of the DCX "partnership".

Toyota and Ford are both expendable to me but I have no

l will towards Toyota, this way Ford might drag Toyota

down financially for a win/win. :)

Now that is some good laughing material. Great idea. Now if that were to actually happen, I think the world would be a better, safer place. :metal:

Maybe Ford's thinking about a JV like GM's NUMMI....get some of the Matrix/Vibe going on. Maybe a Yaris rebadge... Ford needs something at the bottom end for the US market.

Edited by moltar

Yep, 103+ years of automotive innovation and tens of thousands of jobs lost would be a great thing for the country.

Get ready for the Fundra 150 !!!!!!!!!!!! :) . But seriously I don't see any benefit to Toyota in this arrangement. Toyota doesn't need anything from Ford. Maybe they are just trying to help Ford out and reduce any potential backlash.

I meant to say I have no ill will towards FORD.... it's

Toyota I hope crashes & burns like so many Priuses.

Ford does not need Toyota. Ford has many good cars in Europe and South America that would do well in North America - if they would just stop treating North America as being stupid! I liked the Ford Ka when I was in Brazil last year. The European Focus is a much better car than the crappy one sold here. Why?

Oh it's a deep burn.... it's soooo DEEP!

Posted Image

Ford does not need Toyota. Ford has many good cars in Europe and South America that would do well in North America - if they would just stop treating North America as being stupid! I liked the Ford Ka when I was in Brazil last year. The European Focus is a much better car than the crappy one sold here. Why?

I think Ford's standard excuse has been that the European Focus would be too expensive to build here.. i.e. they can't make a profit on small cars...it would be nice to see the Mondeo, Euro Focus, Fiesta, Fusion and Ka here...

Well, we know that the 2010 Focus will be on the global C2 platform and Mercury may be getting European Fords like the Mondeo.

2 great american automakers BOUGHT 'N SOLD.... One to go. Give the media and analysts about 2 more years and it'll be a done deal on all three. They'll either all be sold or all be bankrupt, hell, Chrysler was sold and now they're about to be bankrupt as well. (YAY!! Three cheers for sellouts)

Well, we know that the 2010 Focus will be on the global C2 platform and Mercury may be getting European Fords like the Mondeo.

Really...with the '08 restyle of the Focus, I doubt if the US will be getting a new one that soon....

Really...with the '08 restyle of the Focus, I doubt if the US will be getting a new one that soon....

It's been mentioned over at BON a few times that the US will be getting a C2 Focus in 2010 (maybe 2011...I get it mixed up). The '08 Focus is more of a stop-gap from my understanding....8 years is a long time without major upgrades to the platform.

This sort of thing makes me puke.

I guess what should really tick me off is the fact that Ford Motor Company has allowed themselves to get into such a bad financial situation. Nobody else is to blame for that.

I really, really hope that Ford won't ever sell out to anyone. Especially the japanese.

This sort of thing makes me puke.

I guess what should really tick me off is the fact that Ford Motor Company has allowed themselves to get into such a bad financial situation. Nobody else is to blame for that.

I really, really hope that Ford won't ever sell out to anyone. Especially the japanese.

Collaboration is not "selling out". There's no rule that competing companies have to be mortal enemies.

Collaboration is not "selling out". There's no rule that competing companies have to be mortal enemies.

I didn't say collaboration was selling out. I said I hope Ford doesn't sell out to anyone.

If Ford wasn't in the financial situation it's in, I don't think they'd be having any "talks" with anybody. In light of Ford's gloomy financial predicament, it makes me nervous when toyota is in the picture.

Can you understand why some people wouldn't want a great AMERICAN company like Ford to have to rely on a foreign company (like toyota) to survive or be competitive or whatever? I don't like that at all. Just like I didn't like the "merger" of Daimler and Chrysler Corporation. :rolleyes:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this