Stretches of highway YOU KNOW TOO WELL

I thought about this over the weekend, wondering how many times I've driven it, since it occurred to me I knew just about all the exit numbers and the names that go with them.

It would be I-5 between Portland OR and Seattle WA (173 miles).

My parents live in the former and I have lived in the latter for 3 - 1/2 years. That's worth about 70 trips right there. Then about 50 or so when I lived in Portland and went up to Seattle for the hell of it. Then another 30 when I have lived in other places, went to see my parents and roadtripped to "the Emerald City" (Seattle's nickname) or continued on to Vancouver BC Canada.

That's about 52,000 miles driven on that route alone. Good stats, too: only 1 breakdown....never in the Regal, but once in the 84 Cutlass Supreme Brougham when I lost the timing chain coming into the Portland city limit as I got off a ramp. No bent valves since the 3.8 V6 is "non interference/free wheeling." Whew.

I don't do too much driving outside of my town but I am fairly familiar with I-81 from Binghamton to Syracuse, NY and then I-90 from Syracuse to Buffalo.

There's also I-88 from Binghamton to Oneonta but that's only like an hour one way so I'm not counting that.

I've got a few...mainly from just around here or trips to my uncle's in PA or grandparents' in DE:

-I-95 between exit 27 and exit 33B

-I-495 (Capital Beltway)

-US-50 between Annapolis and MD-404

-MD/DE-404

-US-113 between Georgetown and a little south of Millsboro (DE)

-DE-20

-DE-54 between Selbyville and Fenwick Island

-I-695 (Baltimore Beltway) between exit 11 and exit 24

-I-83 between exit 14 (MD) and exit 42A in Lemoyne, PA

-US-11/15 between Lemoyne and I-81 outside Harrisburg

-MD-198

-I-70 between exit 80 and exit 68

Edited by DetroitNut90

The 25 between Colorado Springs and Denver...driven it frequently over the last 9 years..once a week for a while and daily for a while...maybe only once a month in recent years...

The 70 between Denver and Dillon and Frisco (up in the mountains)..probably driven it at least once every 4-6 weeks over the last 4 1/2 years..

I used to be very familiar with the route from Ann Arbor, Michigan down to Toledo, across the Ohio Turnpike to Akron, then I-77 down to Newcomerstown..about 250 miles that I drove once a month or so for 3 years when I was in grad school in Michigan...

lets see...

Garden State Parkway between exits 153A and 137... when i was in high school i drove that stretch every weeknight going from my house to the gym and back

and route 80 from Hasbrouck Heights to Stroudsburg/Bartonsville PA

im not that familiar with the highway systems in Ohio yet... though i can get you from the OSU campus to Dublin pretty well... i think that involves 315,270 and 161

I thought about this over the weekend, wondering how many times I've driven it, since it occurred to me I knew just about all the exit numbers and the names that go with them.

It would be I-5 between Portland OR and Seattle WA (173 miles).

I had to do that stretch atleast once a month last year (2005) for a class I had in Seattle (2 times a month in January, February and March).

That still doesn't change my favorite and most common "long" drive. I-5 from Portland to LA. I've driven or was passenger going on it atleast once a year, some times two, three and four times a year, since I was 5 years old. Our family has been known to go down to LA for the weekend via car. Flying was never an option with my parents.

495 between exits 27 & 49

93 Boston -to- Salem, NH

Rt. 125 No. Andover -to- Epping, NH

95/128 South Shore -to- Rt. 3

Rt. 2 Metro Boston West

Rt. 3 Burlington, MA -to- Concord, NH

Have fun waiting for the jaws of life to cut you out of your mangled wreck.

I should have said on dry pavement... When the roads are wet, its more like my Millenia is on ice. When the roads are snow covered, well... I'm not sure whats worse than ice, but if you can think of something, that's what it's like. :D

Hmm, probably I-69 from Coldwater, MI to Indianapolis, IN. Consistently run 83 all the way down, including through Ft. Wayne, IN.

*83 is not determined so is invalid, vague information :AH-HA_wink:

And, during the summer, there is a road near town here called Snow Prairie Road, and it has some kcik as curves. I go sailing through at around 50-60 depending on which set, tires howling every now and again, lol. Let's hear it for a suspension devoid of struts! Go Chrysler, Go Chrysler.

Hmmm....a "short" list....

Rt 20 ... in and around Elgin

I-90 ... to and from Chicago (Wrigley Field, Northwestern Memorial Hospital for my heart checkups)

I-294, I-94, RT 49, RT 30 ... to and from NE Indiana

I-57 ... to and from TN

RT 47 ... to and from central IL and onto TN

...and many many others ... he heh.

Cort:33swm."Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I can’t stop driving" ... New Radicals ... 'Someday We'll Know'

I-44 going through Missouri. Not too hard to get a feel for it since its basically straight the entire freaking way between Springfield and St. Louis. I can drive it with my eyes closed.

Is that how the Camry (with rear door delete) ended up shinny side down? :P

Edited by Sixty8panther

Coldwater Canyon Drive between the Valley and Beverly Drive.

Mulholland Drive between the Cahuenga Pass and the Sepulveda Pass

PCH between Santa Monica and Santa Barbara

Beverly Blvd from Beverly Hills to downtown

What? An Angeleno that didn't mention 8 lanes of tarmac...meh...maybe 101 between Ventura and SB might count. LOL.

Hespeler Road, thats a familiar road for me. My aunt lives off of it on Eagle Street where all the dealerships are such as that Pontiac GMC dealer and a Dodge one that I wouldn't recommend. Toni, ever seen an 05 Magnum RT driving around Cambridge or Kitchener. It is that Magnesium colour with black powdercoated rims with the Viper hood and LEDs front and back. If so than taht is what my aunt's boyfriend drives. It is pretty sweet and its the only RT I have seen in that colour.

I-65 between Huntsville, AL and Montgomery, AL

I-85 Between Montgomery, AL and Auburn, AL

I have made the trip form huntsville to auburn so many times that i sometimes travel 20 to thrirty miles without remembering a single second of it. For lack of a better term, i could drive it with my eyes closed

Wow, that's crazy. I honestly thought that I-94 shot straight across MI and stopped at Lake Michigan.

I'll second Capriceman on that. I've been on it as it darts northwesterly from Chicago. It's called the Edens Expressway if I'm not mistaken. (U of I days, thank God that's all a blur).

The map of my day is made on Mapquest.

Sorry, don't use maps very frequently. I think I've used one for my own personal use of travel once in my life. Other than that it was to say "Yep, stay straight" or "Merge left" to dad when I was younger..

I-94 actually goes all the way to Billings, Montana where it turns into I-90. The furthest up it I have been is Fargo, and let's face it, is there really anything worth seeing past Fargo? :P

Just miles of nothing too exciting and $h!ty cell phone service west of Fargo, but I've had the pleasure of travelling it too many times. Most recently today in the middle of a snowstorm. I-94 was almost at a standstill for a couple of miles.

Edited by scharmer05