Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Anyone else attracted to this???

I found this old 1989 Dakota Sport in an empty lot with some other junkers, Golf, 2 Aerostars, and a 94 Cavalier with a huge whole in the drivers door. I actually went to check out the Cavalier but this. It is in bad shape but the body isnt too bad on it. It has rust on the rockers (not eating away) and the paint is peeling but on trucks, most stuff is replaceable compared to a unibody. The biggest thing that concerns me is the crack in the windshield and I dont know how it runs. However, I have always loved these Dakotas.

Posted Image

Posted Image

To be perfectly honest, I am not a big fan of many--if any trucks.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I don't want to rain on your parade, so if it something YOU like, thats all that matters, and my opinion is rendered moot :]

I always like being a Beer-holder

But have you came across a car you didn't like?

================================================================

Yeah, every Toyota, Suzuki, Kia, Hyundai, and Yugo I see. Although I don't see many Yugos anymore.

Guest YellowJacket894

Ah, the 1997 - 2004 model owns that old 1987 - 1996 model in every way.

But, to be fair, the Dakota that A_Rev has pictured does has potential. Just imagine it with a slight drop, pearlescent [sic?] black or blue paint, nineteen inch fives-spoke rims, and a grille, lights, and tailgate update. I think that would look pretty sharp as far as the exterior goes. Too bad it costs so much to have just that alone done.

The 3.7 in carburated form is an atrocious engine, slow, horrible mileage, sounds like ass. In fuel injected form its slow and sounds like ass but gets about 1mpg better. I was lucky to get 12mpg, but since gas was $0.98/gallon when I got my license I really didn't care. Insurance was also rough on it, it cost me more to insure the Dak than the '96 Century that I inherited when I wrecked the Dak. There were two positives. First, they're huge and ugly, mine was brown so it got the nickname "The Beast" which is what it was. Secondly, the sliding rear window doesn't have any sort of lock or release (at least they didn't in '87) so you could get into the cab from the back in case you lock your keys inside.

Forget that... I know where there is a red 1988? SHELBY edition Dakota for sale.

You'll have to travel to the crack-whore section of Meridian Connecticut though.

Go ahead and buy it. My first truck was a 90 dakota club cab. i loved that truck and would easily get rid of my 2000 model i have now if i could have it back. It is a shame i had to roll it over into a ditch. oh well, live and learn

Anyone attracted to this?

If it had a p*$$y I might actaully give it a diamond ring. :ph34r:

Posted Image

I just looked at the Dakota today. $600 for it As Is, the engine runs great with 211,000 kms but it smells like it burns oil. It even had a sunroof lol. It has potential, if you have about $5000 to put into it. The interior is, well, showing its age but the seat is actually very good condition. There is a huge crack in the windshield, The sheetmetal under those plastic fender accents are rusting apart, front barely stays on, and the paint is peeling. The rims are worn out, but I like that style of rim anyways, and the motor is quite rusty and didn't look too great from when I saw it. The engine would be easy to work on because everything is so spaced out. Satty, it has the 3.9 Magnum, not the 3.7. It ran pretty good. It would send even better with a new exhaust system, but I may wait. I dont think it is going anywhere anyways. I will still leave the pic in my sig though because I just love how it was with that tree in the foreground. The great outdoors kinda feeling I guess but of course the Volswagen dealer ruins it. "Not every Jetta owner hikes!!!" lol. (from a Volkswagen commercial, not sure if they show it in the US)

Looks like that tree is going to eat the thing and put it out of its misery, hehe.

But, if you like it, then that's all that matters. For me, I think I'd choose something like this from 1985...

Posted Image

Chrysler Laser

Or this from 1984-1989 (as long as it has covered headlamps)

Posted Image

Buick Skyhawk

And that is the most single disturbing post I've ever read here.

Woo-hoo! I WIN! In... your... face, Flanders!

Posted Image