FIRST LOOK: 2008 Chevrolet Malibu

DetroitNut90

The new Malibu - Your Vote  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Hype aside, what do you think of the new 'Bu?

• 5 - Wow! Truly a world-class entry!
    • 4 - Very good and almost there, but...
    • 3 - A nice effort. Middle of the road
    • 2 - Better than the old 'Bu...but that's it
    • 1 - Puke-o-Rama! Throw it back!

Hmmm...

I love the front end and the sides are fine. The rear end looks a bit unfinished though I see the designers were trying to emulate the Corvette (ie. how it quickly goes vertical). I would have rather had the traditional circular taillights instead of a flat-ass Avalon/G35 wannabe.

The interior is a mixed bag. With the subtle tan two-tone and no wood, I think it looks acceptable/good. However, the wood/chrome combination looks horrible and the in-your-face two-tone colors will turn off buyers in this segment, IMO. Most of the photos make the interior look like an Aura in drag (thanks Reg).

Overall, it's a good effort (better than the Aura, IMO) and it puts the Malibu in the center of the midsize pack. I doubt it will set the sales charts on fire, though, and steal a considerable amount of sales from the segment leaders.

Edit: Out of the Epsilon triplets, I'd take the G6. I'm serious.

Edit x2: Out of the Epsilon quads, I'd take the G6. I'm serious.

Edited by sciguy_0504

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall is very nice. nothing earth shattering though. Exterior is average but trimmed out very nicely. Interior is deffinatly the strong point of the car. At least they moved the wheels to the outside of the vehicle!!! They needed to do that for the past couple decades.

I have decided that I agree with those that feel the rear looks eerily similar to a Mitsubishi Diamante, and for me, the greenhouse profile area screams Camry.

The Pontiac G6 and Saturn Aura are still far and away the best looking of the Epsilons, with the Saab 9-3 coming in a close third.

So, that makes the "ugliest" Epsilon car the Malibu. Again!

Apparently some people that saw this early on really don't know what a "knock out" design really is.

I like it a lot!! The inside is nice and it sits very nice. I would for once buy a Malibu with it looking like that and in the dark grey shown. Also the rear looks fine to me I don;t see why you all are flipping out over it. It could have been nicer but for once GM thought about the look of the rear where the exhaust comes out.

Side profile: Excellent,clean and upscale looking.

Front: swing and a (near) miss. Terrible looking headlights, one too many openings, protruding nose

Rear: swing and a clear miss. Looks like a Buick not a Chevy and doesn't fit the rest of the design.

Interior: Outstanding: best aspect of the car visually.

This is stunning? I knew it wouldn't be a looker, atleast it will probably be as good or better than the competition, although I don't see it winning 1st place on magazines. Just can't happen. Although the side looks pretty good.

I withdraw my comment! This has already grew on me, besides the different angles make it look better. I was disappointed, because of the hype, but that's over. Funny how everyone who hasn't heard all of the commotion isn't disappointed.

Edited by -Camaro-

I think this is fantastic. Dare I also say I like the rear end?..............I do. I'll wait to see the interior in person. :yes:

Of course you may say that you enjoy the rear styling.

It's all due to personal preferences, it's fine to like something that others may not.

Although I was expecting the rear to resemble the taillight treatment of the Impala, I find the rest of the car most appealing.

I think this is the kind of design that will please the car's owners in 5 years as much as it does today.

If the 3.5 and 3.9 OHV engines are indeed not available, then how does this reflect on the development costs of these engines? Are the 3.5 and 3.9 HV, 2.8 HF, and the Atlas engine family a waste of development funds?

This car has to be one of the most hideous, repulsive things I've ever seen. What an eyesore. This is no threat to the upcoming Accord. Really, this is no threat to the current Accord, either. GM will never learn.

Well even if the new Bu' was hideous, I missed the part inwhich Honda had any good looking vehicles in their lineup??

Although I was expecting the rear to resemble the taillight treatment of the Impala, I find the rest of the car most appealing.

I think this is the kind of design that will please the car's owners in 5 years as much as it does today.

If the 3.5 and 3.9 OHV engines are indeed not available, then how does this reflect on the development costs of these engines? Are the 3.5 and 3.9 HV, 2.8 HF, and the Atlas engine family a waste of development funds?

so far right now they're available in the g6 and aura... unless they're changing that too

I don't think GM is getting it. To win over import owners, it needs stand-out designs that reflect each brand's image. Not only is this new Malibu somewhat bland but it resembles the Lucerne. GM should have taken the new Commodore's design and adapted it as close as would be possible for Epsilon. The Commodore is a great design for a mainstream brand - well done, clean and no frills. This new Malibu will do better than the current generation but with GM lowering it's fleet volume the uptick in sales might not be much.

This car has to be one of the most hideous, repulsive things I've ever seen. What an eyesore. This is no threat to the upcoming Accord. Really, this is no threat to the current Accord, either. GM will never learn.

So GM let you drive it and you've tested it for a few days?

Well...

This is a very nice looking replacement for the current generation of the Malibu; more upscale look, both inside and out, no question.

I like the front end clip, but my feeling is that the hood is too short -- it should extend down maybe another 6 inches at least, and the twin grille should move down also. Also: where is the license plate holder to go? Please, not the same setup as on the current Impala, with some $3 black plastic, bolt-on thing that completely interrupts the flow of the front of the car. I just bought a new '07 Impala SS, and if I didn't live in California (which requires a front license plate), I would go to my local body shop and have that ugly thing removed and have the holes filled in and painted over. Very poor planning there.

The side view of the new Malibu is very attractive; different rear doors from the Aura, nice chrome accents below the doors; the wheels are very sharp.

The rear of the car is nice but the trunk seems to stop very abruptly. The taillights have that same damned triangular pod look that almost every car has now, so not very creative at all. I would have much preferred that they place another taillight on each side of the trunk, to at least give the car some Chevy heritage. Still, it's not a bad look, but not very original.

As for the interior: I dont care all that much for the instrument panel pod -- way too small for a car of this size -- and i do not at all like that huge concave space above the glove box -- but I guess I need to see it in person first before making a definitive comment. The interior colors and matierials look like a huge leap upscale, which is a great improvement for GM; they finally are getting some nice interiors. However.... How about making up your mind on the location of the ingition switch?? It has now moved back to the instrument panel, even though the new Impala has moved it from the IP back to the steering column. Come on guys: make up your mind, already!!

SO.... is this the "homerun" that we have been hearing so much about?

Umm... no.... But, to continue the baseball analogies, this new Malibu is at least a solid double, maybe even more. Will it inflict serious damage to the Accord and Camry? Probably not, but even if it just dings them up a bit, with annual sales in the 250-300K range, it will have done its job, and I think those figures are very doable with this new Malibu.

Note to Chevrolet and GM: Nice job on the 2008 Malibu, guys, but here is your warning: better get the fenceposts out of your butts when you do the 2010 Impala. That car had better be stunning, GM's new "gotta have" car -- or else you guys are in big trouble.

yup.

I assume the plate will be right in the center...attached to the spar below the second grille.

Will it inflict serious damage to the Accord and Camry? Probably not, but even if it just dings them up a bit, with annual sales in the 250-300K range, it will have done its job, and I think those figures are very doable with this new Malibu.

Also remember GM will have 4 Epsilons by '09 or so to compete against the Accord and Camry..rather than just the Malibu, it's will be Malibu, G6, Aura, and Buick Epsilon against the world...

**UPDATED**

Please see the top of the first post for updated preliminary powertrain info. Many will be pleased.

Nice news there. I like the idea of not tying one engine to a particular trim level. I've always thought that was stupid. Some people actually want a barebones V6 or a fully loaded 4cyl. Doing it this way means there's no need to sacrifice anything or buy anything you don't want. :thunbsup:

Oh, and the car is amazing inside and out. It's by far the best looking American mid-sizer, and it really makes the new Camry and Altima look disgusting.

**UPDATED**

Please see the top of the first post for updated preliminary powertrain info. Many will be pleased.

each trim level gets tapshift 3.6 or the 4 cyl. that's terrific. what about stick, is that available at all? It's not a big deal in this car, but it would be cool. I still love the look of this car; better looking than any other midsize sedan, save the Jetta and Aura, and also the Altima is probably equally good looking [haven't seen one in person yet].

I think it's beautifully done all around. I cannot wait to see one in person. The interior color choices (are they fo realz?) are fantastic, a nice wide variety, like the good ol' days. The drivetrain choices are top-notch, imo.

I would love to see Chevrolet produce this car as a coupe, with an elegant, yet sporty roofline. With G6 hopefully going RWD in its next iteration, I have no fear of going against GM's newest edict against overlap.

This is the best looking Malibu since the '78, imo, which was a very handsome car at the time (and still is).

I personally like the overall package. Loads better than the Aura in the front end, IMO. Better interior too...more class and design details to it. I was most interested in seeing the rear since up to this point we only had the hint of the front end. I was blown away at first glance, then after looking at it some more noticed the body line leading up from the lower rear bumper and over the decklid. Very Corvette like in approach as another poster mentioned, and urges me to call BS on all you people saying the taillights were an afterthought. The flow of the taillight shape is perfectly in sync with the body line. The additional trunk light may not be what all of you want, but look at the cars you have compared it to (Avalon, G35, Lucerne, Diamante). All of those are upscale luxury automobiles. Not a bad comparison to have spreading around the world.

Also I disagree that people shopping this category(and especially current import owners) don't care about design. For the majority that may be the case, but there are folks out there that need a mid-size vehicle and still want it to have personality. I currently own a '02 Galant and have been extremely interested in GM vehicles such as the Aura, Impala, Lucerne, 9-3 Sportcombi, and now this. I've had my heart set on the Lucerne as of late, but this new entry wil definitely be on the "must see" list at the Chicago Auto Show.

Which brings up my last point...I thought this vehicle, along with the '08 CTS(and something else I can't remember), were to debut at the Chicago Auto Show in Feb? These new press release pictures kinda undermine the "debut" part of that.

Okay... overall, I like it. HATE the rear... I think those taillights look awful. The interior, well, I think it looks great overall... the HVAC and radio integration is better, not as good as I'd like to see it, but definitely better. I like the interior color combinations... the car looks much more upscale than the current Malibu, and I'm glad to hear the 3.6L is the option for the V6... however:

I still just can't help but feel that between this, the Aura, the G6, and the future LaCrosse... there's a lot of overlapping... and that it'll leave room for the critics to say, "Well, the Malibu wasn't as elegant in this regard," or, "The Aura's price tag was much higher than the others," etc. I dunno... I just feel like I can see the media doing a lot of picking on this.

Now, if the G6 goes RWD and the LaCrosse is more entry-lux than it is now... then maybe I'd like where GM is going...

The taillights took me by surprise, especially after doing a sketch a while ago with four round lights like the Cobalt coupe. But I have to say, they don't look bad...I see the evolution from the current 'Bu's taillights. Overall, it looks good even if it's not wild...it looks composed and confident.

Ditto. The taillights are fine. There was too much surface area for the 4 round pindot Cobalt lights to cover and that would not have looked good.

Overall, it's a superb improvement from the current car -- I am hoping sales will jump! The General needs every "shot in the arm" he can get.

Interior: fantastic -- color is BACK - love that one with burgundy insets

Exterior - side: great proportions

Exterior - rear: good, but a little chunky in 3/4 view

Exterior - front: wish the grilles were more evenly spaced -- I question the bumper design as it looks to have a snout like a Sebring and wonder what repairing that from "acoustical parking" dents/mishaps would cost

For everyone lamenting the lower grille, take notice in the closeup picture of the red car that half of the bottom half of the main grille is blanked off with part of the bumper, see how the bottom half is closed off? The bottom, separate grille is there for airflow into the engine. Lots of other vehicles with big, lowflying grilles are this way.

Ditto. The taillights are fine. There was too much surface area for the 4 round pindot Cobalt lights to cover and that would not have looked good.

Overall, it's a superb improvement from the current car -- I am hoping sales will jump! The General needs every "shot in the arm" he can get.

Interior: fantastic -- color is BACK - love that one with burgundy insets

Exterior - side: great proportions

Exterior - rear: good, but a little chunky in 3/4 view

Exterior - front: wish the grilles were more evenly spaced -- I question the bumper design as it looks to have a snout like a Sebring and wonder what repairing that from "acoustical parking" dents/mishaps would cost

see, now you don't have to fantasize about that LaCrosse then, you aspire for this Chevy!

If you like truck-like styling for a front of a car, then go for it.

I hope those colors for the exterior aren't correct. Except for the blue and black, the rest are hideous.

All this hype for a stunning new Malibu, I'm still waiting.

Sure, it's better than the current model, but, then again, anything would make an improvement over the current model.

At least they(GM) got Saturn right.

This car has to be one of the most hideous, repulsive things I've ever seen. What an eyesore.

Did somebody say Ridgeline? Oh wait, maybe it was Element I overheard. I'm having trouble deciphering your language known as :censored:tarded'ness.

Dumbass... at least pick a less stupid name if you're going to criticize the vehicle... I'm surprised you took the time to actually sign up to make your very intelligent post. :rolleyes:

Post more often!