SATURN OUTLOOK

WOW.

That was my first impression on setting my eyes on a new 2007 Outlook.

Trucky, sporty, muscular, athletic. Aggressive. All in one shape.

It has tight gaps and seams too.

I will say this, if looks have anything to do with sales success, then this thing will succeed. It looks great.

On the outside.

What about the inside? Well, mostly the same types of impressions. I can confirm this, the black interior I saw through the window maybe looked like the plastics quality could stand to be a LITTLE bit nicer. The design of the dash and sweep of the doors looked really nice though. It looked as if the center stack and console were quite nice, despite the parts bin controls on the radio etc.

It looks like a great place to be spending time behind the steering wheel. Very cocoon like.

Packaging wise, I would say for a crossover, its perfect. Well, a few caveats.....as perfect as it can be for a CROSSOVER SUV. The center row does indeed look far too low (a compromise for the too high floor and sliding seat). I can't see adults being happy sitting on those low chairs with what also appears to be a shortage of leg room. The third row did not look adult sized either but at least the cushion seemed a bit higher. It seems as though there is usable space behind the third row.

I wonder how exactly plywood will fit in this thing with the hatch closed, but they say it does so who am I to know?

I think if we compare this thing to a Pilot in terms of packaging, it probably has the Pilot beat. What I am more curious about is comparing this to the Freestyle. You could assume this thing hammers the Freestyle on usability, but now after seeing one I would guess that this is the case.....the second and third row are probably pretty close in overall head room and leg room, with the outlook being wider. I would guess the FS's lower floor helps it come close to the overall comfort for passengers that the Outlook will have....and have a higher second row seat.

Cargo wise, the Outlook appears to have a higher load floor, but a higher roof as well and is wider so it will have more usuable space. But we know the Outlook is much heavier. So it ought to have more room.

So I am left thinking they really could have benefitted from dropping the floor to increase the seat height in the rear two rows.

And there's the rub. Its now all too obvious why this platform is not seeing a minivan. There are many who have suggested this is an adequate minivan stand in. Its not. Not in any way. It still does not have the packaging a desired van has. The floor is too high, the load floor is too high. The seating is not stow and go flexible. Simply trying to add a sliding door would be a joke. The cargo area while large is still not van voluminous.

And that's all ok, because for a CROSSOVER SUV, its the perfect package. its just that this package may be too heavy and have too high a floor for a van.

This is a stunning looking vehicle. It looks compact for its actual size and what it can contain. Its a winner on style. If you want an SUV with a nice console and 3 rows of seats but don't want anything to do with a van, this is it. If you think you are sold on the need for the ultimate versatility of a van, don't kid yourself into thinking this is a seamless replacement. There is a compromise to be had for the pretty crossover package.

What is most pleasing about the Outlook is that its way better looking outside than the dumpy ass MDX (or was that an XL7?) and it has an interior that is very passable and pretty well done all things considered. It gets much better real world mpg than the fuel sucking MDX (which got 13 mpg C/D Feb 07) and is much cheaper. An MDX would in no way be worth 10 grand more. Unless you're a dumbass.

I really like this outlook. I would like the Acadia version, can't wait to drive it. Just hope I never have to sit in the second row on the low ass chairs.

This is probably about as close to a home run GM ever gets on product presentation. I hope all the Honda Pilot bangers go cry in the corner and sip their latte's and piss and moan about how their lovely girl pansy truck has been usurped by the General.

Edited by regfootball

One has been sitting at the local Saturn lot for a week and I just haven't test driven it yet. Time and such. I did crawl around inside of it a week ago after dropping my girlfriend off - its was 12:30 and it was UNLOCKED!?!? I'll take some pics and try to drive it tomorrow.

WOW.

That was my first impression on setting my eyes on a new 2007 Outlook.

Trucky, sporty, muscular, athletic. Aggressive. All in one shape.

It has tight gaps and seams too.

I will say this, if looks have anything to do with sales success, then this thing will succeed. It looks great.

On the outside.

What about the inside? Well, mostly the same types of impressions. I can confirm this, the black interior I saw through the window maybe looked like the plastics quality could stand to be a LITTLE bit nicer. The design of the dash and sweep of the doors looked really nice though. It looked as if the center stack and console were quite nice, despite the parts bin controls on the radio etc.

It looks like a great place to be spending time behind the steering wheel. Very cocoon like.

Packaging wise, I would say for a crossover, its perfect. Well, a few caveats.....as perfect as it can be for a CROSSOVER SUV. The center row does indeed look far too low (a compromise for the too high floor and sliding seat). I can't see adults being happy sitting on those low chairs with what also appears to be a shortage of leg room. The third row did not look adult sized either but at least the cushion seemed a bit higher. It seems as though there is usable space behind the third row.

I wonder how exactly plywood will fit in this thing with the hatch closed, but they say it does so who am I to know?

I think if we compare this thing to a Pilot in terms of packaging, it probably has the Pilot beat. What I am more curious about is comparing this to the Freestyle. You could assume this thing hammers the Freestyle on usability, but now after seeing one I would guess that this is the case.....the second and third row are probably pretty close in overall head room and leg room, with the outlook being wider. I would guess the FS's lower floor helps it come close to the overall comfort for passengers that the Outlook will have....and have a higher second row seat.

Cargo wise, the Outlook appears to have a higher load floor, but a higher roof as well and is wider so it will have more usuable space. But we know the Outlook is much heavier. So it ought to have more room.

So I am left thinking they really could have benefitted from dropping the floor to increase the seat height in the rear two rows.

And there's the rub. Its now all too obvious why this platform is not seeing a minivan. There are many who have suggested this is an adequate minivan stand in. Its not. Not in any way. It still does not have the packaging a desired van has. The floor is too high, the load floor is too high. The seating is not stow and go flexible. Simply trying to add a sliding door would be a joke. The cargo area while large is still not van voluminous.

And that's all ok, because for a CROSSOVER SUV, its the perfect package. its just that this package may be too heavy and have too high a floor for a van.

This is a stunning looking vehicle. It looks compact for its actual size and what it can contain. Its a winner on style. If you want an SUV with a nice console and 3 rows of seats but don't want anything to do with a van, this is it. If you think you are sold on the need for the ultimate versatility of a van, don't kid yourself into thinking this is a seamless replacement. There is a compromise to be had for the pretty crossover package.

What is most pleasing about the Outlook is that its way better looking outside than the dumpy ass MDX (or was that an XL7?) and it has an interior that is very passable and pretty well done all things considered. It gets much better real world mpg than the fuel sucking MDX (which got 13 mpg C/D Feb 07) and is much cheaper. An MDX would in no way be worth 10 grand more. Unless you're a dumbass.

I really like this outlook. I would like the Acadia version, can't wait to drive it. Just hope I never have to sit in the second row on the low ass chairs.

This is probably about as close to a home run GM ever gets on product presentation. I hope all the Honda Pilot bangers go cry in the corner and sip their latte's and piss and moan about how their lovely girl pansy truck has been usurped by the General.

Ignoring the last three paragraphs, I think you're about right. The Lambdas are packaged well for a three-row crossover. Personally I'd like to see a two-row, SWB version with a comfy second row.

I just saw an XR FWD w/cloth at the dealer in white. It looked GREAT. Interior looked fabulous even with cloth. Also, the FWD models seem like great values. Of course you don't have AWD, but we all survived without it before, so I don't see why it's a necessity. A loaded XR FWD is $41k. Pretty damn good if you ask me, considering you get NAV, rear DVD, captain's chairs, 19 inch wheels, power liftgate, HID headlamps, remote start, and a sunroof on top of leather w/heated seats.

For comparison, a Sienna is similarly priced *actually a couple hundred more)with similar features. It has a power folding rear seat that the Outlook lacks as well as laser cruise control, but it doesn't have the power liftgate, 19s, remote start, the looks, or as good of an interior.

I got to spend a few minutes in an Outlook at LAIAS. I agree, the second row is a little low and the seats aren't that deep. But, the fact that they slide front to back means that legroom isn't much of an issue. The third row is CAVERNOUS, relatively speaking! My brother and I (we are 6'1" and 6'3" respectively) had plenty of legroom (with the middle row slid forward one or two clicks), plenty of headroom, and in no way did it feel tight or cramped.

Love the new lambdas, at least in pics I still haven't had the chance to drive or sit in one.

I will say the Pilot I drove had better throttle and handling than the previous gen MDX, and RX 330. I drove them all back to back at the GM autoshow in motion a year ago and I still remember being surprised about how the Pilot had better responses than the RX and even its more expensive brother the MDX.

The SRX was a good drive too although I couldn't compare the pilot and SRX directly due to the SRX being in the luxury tent and the Pilot being in the SUV tent. But I remember liking the SRX a lot and still do. Even drove an explorer for the heck of it after the RX 330, unsurprisingly it felt like a wave pool compared to the others.

I just drove an XR about a half hour ago. Ride is smooth and solid, chassis feels good. The transmission shifts are seamless, and the "tap shift" is responsive (almost instantaneous). The engine feels powerful enough, I didn't really get to flog it (nor did I really want to). The dash lighting is really cool with an orange/yellow of the gauges and buttons, and white LED lighting for the displays.

I can't seem to find this out for sure, but does the OUTLOOK have the Heads-up Display unit (HUD) as an option too, or is it only available on the Acadia???

I double-checked the order guide and, no, it doesn't have the heads-up display (UV6) as an option.

i actually hit the saturn lot today (during the snowstorm). they had a new outlook there with open doors. It was an XE AWD. I opened the door to peek inside but it was so crappy out I figured I wouldn't mess it up. Anyways, it was the blue dash and cloth seats and metallic trim. The metallic was nice. the doors had a nice thunk sound. Overall, the black exterior moldings and trim and cheaper interior did not wow me as much as the leather lined one i saw previously but its still top drawer for crossovers.

• 4 weeks later...

well, i was able to break away for a bit today and i went over to the saturn dealer. I really wasn't going there to test drive the outlook (I went there to test drive a used Mits Endeavor), but I did get to sit in an Outlook on the showroom floor. So I examined it fairly well, but not with a fine tooth comb. It had cloth.

There was some spors where I thought there was some cheapness on terms of plastics but that would be being picky. I think some of the things I noticed that dampened my enthusiasm now for the outlook were little things, but substantial at the same time.

Like for example, the front seats did not seem real supportive or solid. Even my 500's seats, although they lack shape, are definitely solid and supportive. The Endeavor I tested has solid supportive seats.

Probably the thing that really made me wince (And sorry I knew this would be the case) was how sloppy the smart slide set up was. It did not work smoothly and was very flexy and did not seem as if it will last without breaking down over time. The exposed track system is bound to get plugged up with food and dirt over time. Worse yet, when I tried to put the seat back into place....it did not return all the way unless I manually intervened to push the seat bottom down and the seat back back. The seat bottom was very reluctant to rotate vertical when the seat back was pushed forward and it did so with a big thunk, it was not smooth AT ALL.

Now, for such a lauded feature, I would have thought they would have put some time and effort into making it glide like it was on ball bearings or rollers and that each movement would start and end with a nice solid click and that nothing would flex or bend much as you perform the operation. Alas, that sort of thing is always to much to ask of GM. I should have known better.

Which led me to think, the fold and tumble setup in my Aztek is MUCH better. Easy, fast, sturdy and gives as good of an access.

The rear seats do not technically fold 'flat'. Like in the Freestyle, they fold flush, but with an incline. The load floor rises up the further back into the car you get.

I sat in the rear seats, (after beating them into submission and getting the seatbacks down into place against their will) and I had been afraid that the seat bottoms were too low. Well, those weren't terrible. A bit low, but not terribly low. Certainly could be livable. Equally as low as in the Edge. The Freestyle, with its lower footwells, has a more natural second row seat position.

I did not try out the third row. It looked roomy, but it would have required me to try to get the smart slide BS to work again and i didn't want to have to break anything, because it may have required me to do that.

I'll point this out again. THIS IS NOT A MINIVAN SUBSTITUTE FOR SOMEONE who needs the true virtues of a minivan. The load floor is way too high and their is significantly less overall cargo space and functionality. It also lacks passenger room too although the difference in that aspect is not huge, just slightly noticeable. Now, if this thing can carry plywood regardless, then the cargo dificiency just comes down to how large of a box do you want to carry. a Box for a flat screen plasma tv will not fit upright (as directed) into the back of the outlook. There is only SUV cargo height. There will still be a lot of things this thing will not handle that only a minivan can. The passenger front seat does not fold flat ala freestyle or edge. And I'm sorry, but even with the 2nd row seat slid forward, access is still not as good to the third row as a van. Visually at least. I admit, it did not look inviting enough to contort myself back into the third row through that narrow door.

I got the sense they were not offering up test drives for the outlooks because I certainly gave enough hints that I would not mind driving one. Yet, at the same time, I didn't want to. I know with the price of these things I am likely not getting one any time soon. So I settled for the 06 Endeavor test drive which was 13 grand cheaper than the outlook i sat in.

Too bad I also couldn't get in and test drive the red 6 speed GTO sitting outside also.

While the Outlook does respresent major steps forward in many ways interiors wise, I think they should consider putitng more effort into getting that smartslide to feel like its not junky crap. I also think they could stand some minor upgrades to some interior fitments. Maybe I will drive one soon. Maybe I will drive the Acadia instead. At least now I know I am not wanting it in such a way that I cannot wait and in truth the Ford Edge started looking better to me again after sitting in this Outlook finally and having it be de-mystified. I think the Edge impression to me improves now that I have seen the Outllok is not really leaps and bounds better in the interiors dept.

Edited by regfootball

I have had the SmartSlide work horribly for me (just like you described) in an OUTLOOK at the LA show and then in Indianapolis it worked perfectly in an Acadia. Maybe they were overtightened or something.

Lol, I know what you mean. I struggled with the SmartSlide (tried it at least 15 times), but my wife didn't have any trouble at all with it...... it was the same vehicle, and we tried both sides, I guess I just did it wrong. Either way, I love the outlook, and that's prolly gonna be our next vehicle.

well, i was able to break away for a bit today and i went over to the saturn dealer. I really wasn't going there to test drive the outlook (I went there to test drive a used Mits Endeavor), but I did get to sit in an Outlook on the showroom floor. So I examined it fairly well, but not with a fine tooth comb. It had cloth.

There was some spors where I thought there was some cheapness on terms of plastics but that would be being picky. I think some of the things I noticed that dampened my enthusiasm now for the outlook were little things, but substantial at the same time.

Like for example, the front seats did not seem real supportive or solid. Even my 500's seats, although they lack shape, are definitely solid and supportive. The Endeavor I tested has solid supportive seats.

Probably the thing that really made me wince (And sorry I knew this would be the case) was how sloppy the smart slide set up was. It did not work smoothly and was very flexy and did not seem as if it will last without breaking down over time. The exposed track system is bound to get plugged up with food and dirt over time. Worse yet, when I tried to put the seat back into place....it did not return all the way unless I manually intervened to push the seat bottom down and the seat back back. The seat bottom was very reluctant to rotate vertical when the seat back was pushed forward and it did so with a big thunk, it was not smooth AT ALL.

Now, for such a lauded feature, I would have thought they would have put some time and effort into making it glide like it was on ball bearings or rollers and that each movement would start and end with a nice solid click and that nothing would flex or bend much as you perform the operation. Alas, that sort of thing is always to much to ask of GM. I should have known better.

Which led me to think, the fold and tumble setup in my Aztek is MUCH better. Easy, fast, sturdy and gives as good of an access.

The rear seats do not technically fold 'flat'. Like in the Freestyle, they fold flush, but with an incline. The load floor rises up the further back into the car you get.

I sat in the rear seats, (after beating them into submission and getting the seatbacks down into place against their will) and I had been afraid that the seat bottoms were too low. Well, those weren't terrible. A bit low, but not terribly low. Certainly could be livable. Equally as low as in the Edge. The Freestyle, with its lower footwells, has a more natural second row seat position.

I did not try out the third row. It looked roomy, but it would have required me to try to get the smart slide BS to work again and i didn't want to have to break anything, because it may have required me to do that.

I'll point this out again. THIS IS NOT A MINIVAN SUBSTITUTE FOR SOMEONE who needs the true virtues of a minivan. The load floor is way too high and their is significantly less overall cargo space and functionality. It also lacks passenger room too although the difference in that aspect is not huge, just slightly noticeable. Now, if this thing can carry plywood regardless, then the cargo dificiency just comes down to how large of a box do you want to carry. a Box for a flat screen plasma tv will not fit upright (as directed) into the back of the outlook. There is only SUV cargo height. There will still be a lot of things this thing will not handle that only a minivan can. The passenger front seat does not fold flat ala freestyle or edge. And I'm sorry, but even with the 2nd row seat slid forward, access is still not as good to the third row as a van. Visually at least. I admit, it did not look inviting enough to contort myself back into the third row through that narrow door.

I got the sense they were not offering up test drives for the outlooks because I certainly gave enough hints that I would not mind driving one. Yet, at the same time, I didn't want to. I know with the price of these things I am likely not getting one any time soon. So I settled for the 06 Endeavor test drive which was 13 grand cheaper than the outlook i sat in.

Too bad I also couldn't get in and test drive the red 6 speed GTO sitting outside also.

While the Outlook does respresent major steps forward in many ways interiors wise, I think they should consider putitng more effort into getting that smartslide to feel like its not junky crap. I also think they could stand some minor upgrades to some interior fitments. Maybe I will drive one soon. Maybe I will drive the Acadia instead. At least now I know I am not wanting it in such a way that I cannot wait and in truth the Ford Edge started looking better to me again after sitting in this Outlook finally and having it be de-mystified. I think the Edge impression to me improves now that I have seen the Outllok is not really leaps and bounds better in the interiors dept.

The bits of cheapness are okay in the Outlook. I'm more worried about the Enclave.

I've seen more Edges than Lambdas so far, and I'm starting to like the Edges more. The exterior styling seems better executed... the stance reminds me of the X5's.

Edited by empowah

I drove an Acadia about 2 weeks ago, and played around with just about everything on it, and even on this one, the Smartslide seemed a bit odd.

Pull the handle and the bottom cushion would flip up and it all slid forward like butter, but the problem was trying to get it back--it was hard to push back, and then VERY stiff to get the lower cushion to relatch as the final step. Of course, it was the first time I used it, but it almost seemed like it was springed to be easy to flip and slide away, but then at the same time was just too hard to get back in place.

Other than that, loved it, and it can do so many more things, with so much more usable room than a new Tahoe/Yukon, at a much lower price and with very high end driving quality. Absolutely felt like it had top notch build quality through and through, and a wonderful drivetrain and suspension. Also quite fun to me, as my test drive was on a curvy and undulating back road not in the best of shape--the lighter weight and better handling compared to a typical truck certainly help there. S-M-O-O-T-H was all I could think...

Other than that, loved it, and it can do so many more things, with so much more usable room than a new Tahoe/Yukon, at a much lower price and with very high end driving quality. Absolutely felt like it had top notch build quality through and through, and a wonderful drivetrain and suspension. Also quite fun to me, as my test drive was on a curvy and undulating back road not in the best of shape--the lighter weight and better handling compared to a typical truck certainly help there. S-M-O-O-T-H was all I could think...

Exactly! This is what I've been trying to make my dad see every time we discuss what to replace my mom's 2002 Tahoe with, but he's just stuck on the new Tahoe. It's a win-win situation in the end, but the Lambdas have the advantage.

• 2 months later...

I drove a Saturn Outlook XE AWD yesterday. Here's a briefer.

ROUNDS OF APPLAUSE- stylish. Very sweet motor. Smooth, revs great and has that nice cammy OHC sound. Not a smidge of vibration is felt. This is why we needed DOHC motors in GM products. they finally get that. Wraparound cockpit (whatever happened to those!?!?! :) ) is like a coccoon. Nice shapely seats. Lots of room for wide bodies in 3 rows and cargo. Good suspension for firm yet comfortable ride. Disguises its weight and size well although you still know is a sizable rig. Nice dash layout. Extremely quiet inside. Armrest slides back to expose console storage in the slickest and most convenient way I've seen. Full complement of safety gear.

OOOOs and AHHHs--smart slide, once you figure out just the right amount to nudge the lever is a good deal. Amount of power is good. All the creature comforts. Second row reclines for just the right angle. A nice panoramic view out the front through the windshield. No 'mailslot' here like on many cars today. There is a nifty plastic hitch cover that blends into the bumper cover perfectly (well done GM on that one!).

GIVES ME PAUSE- transmission, while smooth in its shifting, hesitates (although not in a jerky fashion, just has lag and delay). This was likely deliberately programmed this way for mpg. Also, the engine lugs a bit sometimes under load. At least you get a very good manual mode thumb shifter to make up for this. manual mode shifts 'right now', no lag. It would work better if paddles were included, too (the paddles are awesome on the Aura). But overall the manual shifter makes up for the deficiencies in tranny programming. Just OK steering feel (needs to be quicker), a little numb not ultimately as good as the Edge. Thin steering wheel (no leather wrap). Some cheap plastic overall that isn't a dealbreaker, just a reminder there are still beancounters at GM. Gauges are a bit low. Rear window is a bit too high for vision out the back.

FATAL FLAWS-

no real fatal flaws. If i were nitpicking I would say the fact that you can't raise the steering wheel high enough or get it so it doesn't block the gauges for a taller person.....and overall you cannot get it adjusted the way you like. This would be a dealbreaker for someone fussy about driving position. I also had some trouble getting the drivers seat adjusted to anything close to ideal for me. Side mirrors are tiny and poorly shaped, is annoying too. Useless for driving and towing. What were they thinking? OH, and yeah, no bluetooth.

This is the perfect family cruiser for many American families and those SUV lovers just downsizing from BOF trucks or upsizing from toys like the Lexus RX or Murano. May not prove to be as nimble or fast as a fixed (and several hundred pounds lighter) 08 taurusX but easily trumps that in style and capacity and other ways.

DON'T MISS- third row is adult sized!

Edited by regfootball

My biggest beef with the XE are the "cloth" seats and black moulding. The leather makes a world of difference.

the outlook's cloth is a nice knit. the blue we can debate. i would get the charcoal interior or get an acadia. i prefer the acadia's dash anyways. i don't feel the outlook NEEDS leather, but it actually is good leather. that in and of itself is rare for GM.

the outlook is a sweet vehicle, but if you only need 2 rows and want to save some big money, the endeavor Posted Imageis a good alternative. it's actually a lot more nimble and gets off the line much better but it only has a 4 speed. the end's seating comfort is excellent but the dash design in black is dour. in tan its fine. the endeavor is quite a bit sportier, but the outlook was not intended to be sporty. the endeavor lacks the ultimate smoothness and refinement of the outlook. the outlook is extremely SATISFYING all around as nothing was neglected. I just don't know in this case if its worth 7-10 grand more for that third seat and extra polish.

I've got to get my dad in an outlook or an SRX, I know he would like they way they drive but he is of the 'formal sedan' generation. he needs the space when he travels for all the sh1t my mom buys on shopping sprees.

Edited by regfootball

• 2 weeks later...

Great review update.

After I had first driven that Acadia SLE back in February, I've been trying ever since to suggest to my mother that--when time be--she should seriously look at an Acadia, Outlook, or even Enclave for replacement, because it would give her the higher up seating and space she likes, but drives more like a refined car, gets better mileage, and is priced a lot lower than the typical BOF Tahoe/Yukon she did seem to be infatuated with. Never really got much of a response beyond "hmm".

Until this past weekend, that is. I was home for my birthday, and as usual, with conversation of current gas prices (always a fun topic when you're driveway is packed with a Suburban, 2 Fleetwoods, a Roadmaster, and a V8 Regal...), she out of the blue asked me "What kind of mileage do those Acadias get?" Struck me as odd with being so sudden, but I see a light now, at least as far as maybe swapping out the Suburban which is at the 3 year mark (you know, just TOO long to have any car :rolleyes: ).

Still prefer the Acadia most as far as exterior and interior styling, but just cannot build a cloth seated SLE like we'd want. So, just today I started looking more into the Outlook. Style wise, not that different, aside from the completely unique interior, but can be built to match what we'd theoretically want PERFECTLY, and the MSRP only pricing still is pretty much in line (somehow) with what we'd pay for a different model that can be discounted. That, and roaming around Saturn.com today, I had a nice random chat with a Saturn rep (love the chat feature on there now) and found out about a new low financing/rebate offer on the Saturn.

It'd probably still be easier to get the queen mum in an Acadia, as it's a GMC and I think she too likes the look, but I'm not sure about the Saturn. Someone at our church has a new Med. Brown Outlook XE, which I really like, and I told her it's the same thing but got "but it's a Saturn..."--so she's from that camp, haha.

SO, my plan is to hopefully get a refresher test drive of one when I'm moved back home next week, HOPEFULLY a bit of an extended one, where I can swing by home for a surprise showing and see what she thinks of the seating, features, and drive to work my magic. Again, nothing at all wrong with the Suburban, but she could easily get into one of these right now and have something with similar people space but that's nicer to drive and doesn't kill as badly on gas.

On a similar note, having been in a few Acadia owners forums for a while now, it seems like those sales are just continuing to explode, and it's even a bit of a struggle to get one to meet your specs, let alone with much of a discount. The Saturn is doing well, but not as much so, and I wonder if it's just purely the styling and trim differences, the MSRP only thing (likely), or what.

Edited by caddycruiser

have u seen the base blue interior? it looks like play doh

Agreed, it is very peculiar. When you think of gray, you think of just that, and when I saw early pics of a few Outlooks with the gray interior, my first thought was that there was either a weird tint issue or a bad camera. But no, it just looks like that. Not at all really bad, but still strange because when you select gray, you really don't expect BLUE on half of it, at least if it isn't called blue/gray. Then again, maybe it really is just a shading/tint thing that wasn't intended, but stays as is.

We generally like even gray interiors, and have that now in our Suburban, but now with my interest in the Outlook, I'm iffy on ones with the gray, at least until I can get a better real impression. That said, the ebony and the tan still look much richer, but that's typical.

Then again, it does look pretty interesting in some lights:

Posted Image

I can see my mother not liking it, just because she can spot any tint of blue in anything and HATES it, but it kind of strikes me as a bit of a unique way to liven up basic gray. Still should be listed as such in the coloring, though, as it's not just gray. And that center stack black doesn't help, but I'm not sure what you could do with that.

Blue is still an ODD large accent choice, though, and I see why tan and black are more popular. I'd like to ask some Saturn people about it, especially since it's not something you see in ANY other GM car, even close.

Edited by caddycruiser

SO, my plan is to hopefully get a refresher test drive of one when I'm moved back home next week, HOPEFULLY a bit of an extended one, where I can swing by home for a surprise showing and see what she thinks of the seating, features, and drive to work my magic.

Saturn has that test drive at your home thing going on. Just tell them what you want and they will show up at your mom's home with the car!

look for the "at home test drive" box at the bottom of Saturn.com

can also be arranged for her work place if that is more convenient.

Edited by haypops

Well...not in this millenium at least... ;)

Posted Image

Hah! Exactly! And even the same shade, almost.

The key difference being that back then you knew it was blue, and not just that you ordered a gray interior that so happens to be half blue...

Saturn has that test drive at your home thing going on. Just tell them what you want and they will show up at your mom's home with the car!

Yep, I was just clued into that when I finally started surfing the Saturn site and chatting with a Saturn rep. That's a great idea, but I think my plan is going to hit a few places in person myself at least first, because in the town where the Saturn dealer is, it's essentially a highway loaded with every dealer imaginable. That way I can do a more direct comparison of an Acadia and Outlook again, and even maybe a Pilot (though it's not really a consideration) for fun.

The only issue, and this is a common Saturn issue for some, that the closest dealer is about a half hour away. Really not far, but not the 10 minute zip over to the GM store down the road like we're used to. From what I've been told, they should still be more than willing to let me have an Outlook for a couple of hours or so--the GM dealer always lets me take whatever, for however long--and zip it home and back for a longer drive, and a better comparison at home.

But, we'll see. I have pretty much all week off next week, so what's more fun than car shopping for someone else who didn't ask? :AH-HA_wink:

have u seen the base blue interior? it looks like play doh

Yes I have sat in numerous examples. If only the gray part didn't exist it would be a very welcome change. If i have to live with another damn gray interior in a vehicle i'll go bonkers. The blue tint along with wood trim and silver accents bring a welcome change to the lifeless boring colorless interiors of this dreadful decade.

Saw an outlook XE on saturday. It looked great but I have one beef...it was white and had this ugly black door moulding on it. Why couldn't they have just put body colored moulding???

Agreed, and I think that's just a matter of one marketing person thinking it a good way to better differentiate the "base" XE from the upper level XR, because in reality, they're almost identical aside from the black mirrors and lack of a 2nd exhaust outlet. Still, neither the base GMC or Buick models have any downgrade in trim like that, and it should just be a painted strip. It's hard to see on dark colors, but looks cheap on the light colors, as usual.