Pontiac G8 Spied?

That's an old photo of a VE Commodore prototype out testing..probably from last year..the information is old in the article--it says 'Of course, Holden will have its own editions as well, to replace the big Commodore and Statesman sedans' which is dated, since the VE is already out..

That's an old photo of a VE Commodore prototype out testing..probably from last year..the information is old in the article--it says 'Of course, Holden will have its own editions as well, to replace the big Commodore and Statesman sedans' which is dated, since the VE is already out..

No, it's not, it's a reader photo of a new prototype first published by Wheels magazine in Australia. The glasshouse and sheetmetal differs significantly from the VE, but as I said in the earlier thread, it looks less like a Pontiac than the VE Commodore. This car resembles more a swb Caprice.

Well when the car comes out with the Pontiac GM better keep the checkers as an option for those who complain it is not bold enough. Ypu know no matter what body they put on half are going to complain it is not enough or it is too much in the styling department. Pontiac can't win on this one.

Previous thread

This is the same car, just one of the photos published by Wheels. The DetNews photo is probably the worst, since you can't see the changes to the rear door and addition of a d-pillar very well (look very closely and you'll see a 6-light design like the larger Caprice), nor can you see the new trunklid and rear lights (again, more like the Caprice). Look carefully and you can see a new headlight design, and a new fender design closer to that of the Caprice than the Commodore. In the Commodre the character line ends behind the front fender, in the Caprice and this prototype it extends over the fender to the front lights.

Previous thread

This is the same car, just one of the photos published by Wheels. The DetNews photo is probably the worst, since you can't see the changes to the rear door and addition of a d-pillar very well (look very closely and you'll see a 6-light design like the larger Caprice), nor can you see the new trunklid and rear lights (again, more like the Caprice). Look carefully and you can see a new headlight design, and a new fender design closer to that of the Caprice than the Commodore. In the Commodre the character line ends behind the front fender, in the Caprice and this prototype it extends over the fender to the front lights.

In your opinion what could this be? If it's the G8, then LOL: giving the Commodore a Pontiac twin-nostrill would look much better, IMHO. Regarding the Impala, I'd see it at around 5.1m to 5.2m in length, but the Commodore is approximately 4.9m long (close to the new Malibu's dimensions), so the Impala would logically fit in as a LWB model.

EDIT: could that be a Daewoo?

Edited by ZL-1

No, the Daewoo will be an Epsilon II model similar or identical to the next Malibu. Who's to say this car isn't longer than the Commodore. It's not as large as the Caprice, but the C-pillar is vertical for extra headroom. Note to amateur photographers—if you can get this close to a prototype (interior shots were taken), especially parked next to a production model, measure it somewhow, even if you just eyeball it.

...changes to the rear door and addition of a d-pillar very well (look very closely and you'll see a 6-light design like the larger Caprice)...

Griff- a six-window sedan design still does not -by definition- include a D-Pillar. D-Pillars come into play on -for example- a traditional station wagon.

No, the Daewoo will be an Epsilon II model similar or identical to the next Malibu. Who's to say this car isn't longer than the Commodore. It's not as large as the Caprice, but the C-pillar is vertical for extra headroom. Note to amateur photographers—if you can get this close to a prototype (interior shots were taken), especially parked next to a production model, measure it somewhow, even if you just eyeball it.

Does a scan of this magazine exist anywhere?

Who's to say this car isn't longer than the Commodore. It's not as large as the Caprice, but the C-pillar is vertical for extra headroom.

Interesting. Could VE/Zeta easily accomodate 2 different SWB wheelbase lenghts? Specifically, I'm thinking that a RWD Impala might generate enough volume to offset the added development cost of a 3rd wheelbase length.

Interesting. Could VE/Zeta easily accomodate 2 different SWB wheelbase lenghts? Specifically, I'm thinking that a RWD Impala might generate enough volume to offset the added development cost of a 3rd wheelbase length.

Or what if the NA Zeta cars are longer than their AUS counterparts? That would mean G8 is longer than Commodore and a RWD Buick and Impala could be longer than Caprice.

Or what if the NA Zeta cars are longer than their AUS counterparts? That would mean G8 is longer than Commodore and a RWD Buick and Impala could be longer than Caprice.

It can be just that: a larger car that shares the Commodore's wheelbase. I still think the car looks too 'soft' for a Pontiac, though... Edited by ZL-1

From A-pillar back I can only see Statesman/Caprice (with different taillight lenses). I don't think you can determine wheelbase length from these pics - especially if the photos are from a camera phone which tend to squash the image along the vertical axis. I can see a slight revision to the front panels - kinda like a VE nose on a WM body, except with the extended character line. Who knows what it is..... G8? Impala? Chinese Buick?

I keep looking at those pics ..... Why would they go to the trouble of designing all new panels to make the difference to VE/WM almost imperceptible? The US don't have VE so no one would notice the difference/similarity anyway. Just stick new headlights/taillights and front clip on a commodore and save yourself a bucket in development cost. Either that or significantly change the sheetmetal to give some truly unique styling. I'm not convinced that all is what it seems here.

I keep looking at those pics ..... Why would they go to the trouble of designing all new panels to make the difference to VE/WM almost imperceptible? The US don't have VE so no one would notice the difference/similarity anyway. Just stick new headlights/taillights and front clip on a commodore and save yourself a bucket in development cost. Either that or significantly change the sheetmetal to give some truly unique styling. I'm not convinced that all is what it seems here.

What if the body is just a 'decoy'?

Maybe you're right. But there are a few subtle changes to the front guards that distinguish it from standard VE panels.. so there have been a couple of modifications - just very minor ones.

I think you have the right idea here.

With so many different cars Holden makes it would be easy to mix and match parts till they are ready to be seen.

Edited by hyperv6

Well, there's no way that front fascia is the real deal, not with that fit and finish. The headlights look as though they're protruding out from the bumper (i.e. "tacked on") , and the gap between the hood and bumper is pretty big.