Next Explorer to be Car Based

Variance

At a private exhibition last month for Ford employees and retirees, the automaker displayed a picture of the next- generation Explorer, set for production in the next two or three years.

Instead of continuing to build the Explorer on a heavy-duty frame designed for trucks, the automaker will base the new one on a smaller, lighter mechanical platform originally designed for cars made by Ford's Volvo subsidiary of Sweden.

Bloomberg

What if this "Explorer" is the productionized Fairlane concept? And if not, what happens to Mercury Mountaineer, and how will this be differentiated from Fairlane?

At a private exhibition last month for Ford employees and retirees, the automaker displayed a picture of the next- generation Explorer, set for production in the next two or three years.

Instead of continuing to build the Explorer on a heavy-duty frame designed for trucks, the automaker will base the new one on a smaller, lighter mechanical platform originally designed for cars made by Ford's Volvo subsidiary of Sweden.

Bloomberg

They should just setup the Ford AUS BA Falcon based Territory instead. It already has top notch suspension and powertrain without modifications.

where's the picture?

At a private exhibition last month for Ford employees and retirees

There won't be pictures for a while.

I don't care one way or another...we never did much exploring in our old '91 Explorer, I doubt many others have/will.

I think it would be a big mistake to completely get out of the mid-size Body on Frame truck platform segment. It's also bad when you keep call a car-like tall wagon vehicle with a name that has been synonymous with a "real" SUV. Not to say that it's going to be a bad vehicle but it could turn away more Explorer loyalists who weren't already scared away by the Firestone tire debacle and the overhyped FUEL CRISIS 2005!!!!!!!!!!!!.

GM should keep a mid-size BOF SUV along with the Hummer H3 but beef it up to allow it to be an affordable off-roader to compete with the Xterra, FJ Cruiser, LR3, and any other competitor in the segment. There's still money to be had. Even if gas prices skyrocket to $8 a gallon.

Edited by Cadillacfan

Don't forget that Land Rovers and Jeeps are almost all unibody. I think you'll find Ford simply can't justify a seperate platform solely for a new Explorer/Mountaineer, and the the compact/midsize pickup platform is even older than the the Explorers. GM, Nissan and Toyota have and will continue to invest in compact truck/LCV architectures which can support new SUVs. In fact Toyota has two, the cheap Hilux/Fortuner/Innova platform and the slightly bigger Tacoma/4Runner/LandCruiser 120 platform.

I can see why Ford would do this but it doesn't make a lot of sense considering it already has the Edge and Freestyle. If the next-gen Explorer is supposed to compete with the Lambdas I would rather make the Freestyle slightly larger and more luxurious and keep the Explorer BOF. Sales may have declined drastically but it is still a viable segment. You're basically just handing over sales and money to the competition. If GM leaves the segment, DCX and Toyota will have it wrapped up.

There's pros and cons to doing this.

On the pros side the Explorer name carries a lot more weight than Freestyle. Everyone knows about the explorer and what it is...no one gives a rat's ass about the Freestyle. Dropping it and making the next unibody crossover the Explorer would help get the SUV more sales than the Freestyle thanks to name recognition.

On the other hand it may alienate loyalists who expect an Explorer to be BOF. Still, this is probably a small percentage of people who actuallty take it offroad.

Wow... I just lost a tremendous amount of respect for Ford, & I already

had very little to begin with. This is absolutely disgusting news... gross,

sad, disturbing & illogical. I bet it'll have a transverse mounted motor

too and be AWD with most of the power going to the front wheels.

Pathetic Ford. <_<

BOF is not the enemy if they just invested some ... eh, why bother.