Ford Five Hundred to Taurus - Mulally

mwaters

The Five Hundred has been such a flop that sales could not have been any worse, and may have been a bit better, if it had retained the Taurus name. I drove a Five Hundred once and found it very unrefined, noisier than a Focus.

Both Ford and GM have been foolish about this. Chrysler has been a little smarter with the Hemi idea. The one thing Japan Inc cannot compete on is heritage and panache, as far as names go. Nobody is going to line up to buy a new Tercel.

Sadly, the one thing that the article is wrong about is that the 2006 Taurus was the same as the vehicle launched twenty years ago! In the mid-80s, the Taurus re-invented and repackaged the family sedan, but Ford could not keep ahead of the pack. Time and time again, Detroit has reinvented the wheel, then lost their way while the Japanese then run with the idea and best Detroit at their own game.

Both Ford and GM have been foolish about this. Chrysler has been a little smarter with the Hemi idea. The one thing Japan Inc cannot compete on is heritage and panache, as far as names go. Nobody is going to line up to buy a new Tercel.

.....but a whole bunch of them are "lining up" to buy a new Camry or Accord......two midsize sedans that actually have longer-running name recognition and heritage than "Taurus."

True. But I have yet to see any Camries or Accords show up on Barrett-Jackson, while I"ve see lots of Impalas and even a few Chevelles fetch ridiculous money. Detroit needs to captitalize on this, and I am talking about more than just reintroducing the Camaro and Mustang. Many, many times I have people come into the show room to look at the Malibu because they used to have one, or because their parents had one. I think the Galaxie or Galaxie 500 would have more panache for Ford than the Taurus or plain Five Hundred.

The Taurus made a name for itself with its sleek styling. Before Ford changes the Five Hundred to Taurus, they better give it more substantial styling. The current Five Hundred (and last Taurus) is the most bland sedan produced today, or at least in the Top 5.

the taurus has bad resale you don't want to name a new product something that is already burdened with low resale stigma.

but yes 500 is a dumb name. and i drive one. yes the car is bland. But most folks who ride in it say they like the car and how huge it is and the command seating. Ford f@#ked up the refinement aspect. Its a groaner with no noise insulation. If ford would simply devote some $$$$ to putting some noise insulation in the car and that combined with the new engine and tranny would be all they need to do. But as we see at Ford, they make no effort to bring their products to minimum acceptable standards for certain things because the beancounters told them they couldn't afford to.

Now that Alan mullaly drives a 500 everyday instead of his Lexus, maybe that will change. But dammit, the car was released in 2005. there's no reason why even the 2008 refresh will still have some of these deficiencies.

Again, your shortsighted American business leaders at work. hopefully Mullay kicks ass and fixes a lot.

They should have named the car something else. i like the new concept car name Interceptor although the croctch rocket honda punks may have issue with that.

I guess Mulally is finally figuring out what a bunch of idiots are calling the shots at ford...it takes somebody from the airline industry to get people at Ford talking about how bad they F@#*ed up the Taurus...I feel bad for all of the Ford employees who work hard to get the job done with no authority to change anything and then have to sit by and watch the train wreck, but FoMoCo deserves the spanking that it is going to get. Sell your stock. Oh wait, no, there is that hot new Lincoln concept...now just give us a few years to "build a business case" and "test consumer reaction".