Toyota Stages World Debut of All-New 2007 Tundra CrewMax @ NAIAS

Those tail lights look like a tumor, the truck looks beefy and masculine but also kind of bloated.

The Tundra still lacks HD models, diesel models, and Crossover model (I'm referring to the Avalanche, which is part of the GMT-900s). It has one interior, verses GM's 2 interiors (and so far the Tundra's interior has been taking some flak, while the GMT-900's have been praised).

Its top-of-the-line drivetrain may be good, I'll give it that, but it's midrange engine is not compare to the midrange V8 the GM trucks have. It also may have "Toyota" reliability (which as of late hasn't been that reliable), but GM (Ford and Dodge) have proven reliability in this segment.

While it may be able to compete in this segment now, it's still playing catchup...for once a Toyota is behind the Domestics.

Your comparing a $40k+ niche model to a volume model Tundra. As of now Toyota Tundra's powertrain is superior to the GMT-900's. Pricing still hasn't been announced.

and considering the 13/19mpg the Yukon Denali gets I highly doubt many will be lining up for the 6.2L gas-guzzler.

That wasn't the argument that was being presented. The argument was that the 5.7 Tundra topped the GMT900s completely, with an assumed emphasis on powertrain, so I showed that that wasn't true.

OK so new argument your saying that the value of the 5.7 Tundra which will apparently be the volume engine is better than the GMT900s and your saying that the better gas mileage of the 5.7 makes it superior to the 6.2 Denali. Do I have the arguments you are presenting right? If so then I will reply in my next post.

The Tundra still lacks HD models, diesel models, and Crossover model (I'm referring to the Avalanche, which is part of the GMT-900s). It has one interior, verses GM's 2 interiors (and so far the Tundra's interior has been taking some flak, while the GMT-900's have been praised).

Its top-of-the-line drivetrain may be good, I'll give it that, but it's midrange engine is not compare to the midrange V8 the GM trucks have. It also may have "Toyota" reliability (which as of late hasn't been that reliable), but GM (Ford and Dodge) have proven reliability in this segment.

While it may be able to compete in this segment now, it's still playing catchup...for once a Toyota is behind the Domestics.

In all their bitching, everyone on here seems to have forgotten that Toyota has NO intention of out-selling Chevy or Ford.

They have a specific business plan in place to build and sell a certain number of Tundras to 1) increase their share of the market in that segment and 2) make a profit.

Last I saw, Toyota was pitching about $200K annually once production is ramped up. That's a significant increase for the brand and model but nowhere near where GM and Ford are.....and they aren't trying to be there (yet.)

In all their bitching, everyone on here seems to have forgotten that Toyota has NO intention of out-selling Chevy or Ford.

They have a specific business plan in place to build and sell a certain number of Tundras to 1) increase their share of the market in that segment and 2) make a profit.

Last I saw, Toyota was pitching about $200K annually once production is ramped up. That's a significant increase for the brand and model but nowhere near where GM and Ford are.....and they aren't trying to be there (yet.)

And this means the flaws should be overlooked because? If this is so, then no one can say anything wrong about GM's midsize offerings, because they don't play to sell them at Camcord levels. If Toyota plans on taking share from GM and Ford, then they better have the best truck on the market, just like GM better have the best midsize offering on the market if they plan to take share from the Camcord. Up to this point, there is no report to say that the Tundra is better than the T900s, but there is at least one report that says the Tundra is targeting the T800s... meaning it's not as good as the T900s.

OC I don't think you meant to have that dollar sign there, just a heads up. I will remove this once you fix it.

Your comparing a $40k+ niche model to a volume model Tundra.

Take that with a grain of salt. Tundra offers two smaller engine choices beneath the 5.7L. Considering the volumes Silverado & Sierra sale in, their niche model sales may match Toyota's Volume. Playing the percentage game here won't work.

As of now Toyota Tundra's powertrain is superior to the GMT-900's. Pricing still hasn't been announced.

Do you honestly think Toyota's top engine choice or trim level pricing will be significantly cheaper than GM, Ford, or Dodge? Remember, the 5.7L is the largest of three engine choices in the Tundra.

and considering the 13/19mpg the Yukon Denali gets I highly doubt many will be lining up for the 6.2L gas-guzzler.

The Tundra 5.7L gets what again? Last I checked, the Tundra is a Gas-Guzzling Pig also. :rolleyes:

And this means the flaws should be overlooked because? If this is so, then no one can say anything wrong about GM's midsize offerings, because they don't play to sell them at Camcord levels. If Toyota plans on taking share from GM and Ford, then they better have the best truck on the market, just like GM better have the best midsize offering on the market if they plan to take share from the Camcord. Up to this point, there is no report to say that the Tundra is better than the T900s, but there is at least one report that says the Tundra is targeting the T800s... meaning it's not as good as the T900s.

LOL, LOL, LOL

You don't think that GM isn't targeting CamCord sales?

That segment is a totally different animal than the full-size pickup segment.

LOL, LOL, LOL

You don't think that GM isn't targeting CamCord sales?

That segment is a totally different animal than the full-size pickup segment.

It may be at the moment (since GM has changed its mid-size strategy)... but GM traditionally approached the mid-size sedan segment with two separate models under several brands. While being the largest seller of mid-size sedans in the US (N & W combined) for several years, GM continued to be ridiculed for not producing "one car for all people" or as you'd put it, a home run. GM's multiple variants were still held up against the Camry and Accord for individual scrutiny regardless of their individual sales volume expectations.

The Tundra, regardless of its mediocre expectations of 200k sales, still deserves (and rightfully so) to be held up against the leaders in this segment for direct comparison/scrutiny. I'm sure you can understand and recognize this fair and distinct quality that NorthStar is speaking of even though Toyota is only offering one version of the Tundra.

The Tundra, regardless of its mediocre expectations of 200k sales, still deserves (and rightfully so) to be held up against the leaders in this segment for direct comparison/scrutiny. I'm sure you can understand and recognize this fair and distinct quality that NorthStar is speaking of even though Toyota is only offering one version of the Tundra.

As all cars are when they are launched. Regardless of sales expectations, they should be and will be compared with the segment leaders.