First Look: 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP

Has it been made public that the G6 GXP sedan is getting the similar styling updates?

Posted Image

Sorry for the crappy quality - took a quick snap before someone stepped in front of me. You can't see it in this pic, it it's got a 'whale tail' spoiler similar to the coupe's as well.

-RBB

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

There are vehicles out there that are a LOT more hideous than this.

I'm not so sure about that. And even if that is true, how many are performance versions of a coupe? It's only natural for a sub-compact sedan, or boxy wagon to not look good. But a coupe? How do you mess that up?

IMO, it's quite hard to do a really great looking coupe, because most are so damned small. Not easy to design a fluid, athletic coupe when the lines are forced to turn sharply or end abruptly, especially with the current dumb-ass trend of highlighting panel seams as styling elements. I am more forgiving in general regarding a wagon because it's primary reason for existing is (supposed to be) functional, not asthetic. I'm trying to think of a coupe I like... G35 isn't bad once you get past the JC Whitney grille, but that's much larger than the G6, if I'm not mistaken. Nothing else is springing to mind....

I do NOT like the wing on the GXP, but I still see loads of wings on the street, even billet-armed stand-ups on the trunklids of accords. The front of this car is different but it's NOT ugly to my eye. Making the grilles half-height will only result in yawns of indifference from those who think the GTO is indistinguishable from a Cavalier. I will wait to see the G6 GXP in person...

I'm trying to think of a coupe uglier than this, and nothing is coming to mind.

I think this car is the complete opposite direction from where Pontiac should be going. I just cringe thinking of all the bad articles, and negative press Pontiac is going to get from this car. Alpha can't come soon enough, the G6 needs to die.

Strictly exterior styling wise, the regular g6 coupe isn't bad at all, not great but okay. This is just awful and its inexplicable that a company thought they could get away with something like this without being the butt of many jokes. I hope none sell so its less embarassing for them.

my wife rolls with a G6 GTP and loves that car.

the interior room won her over even before she

hit the throttle. it's a nice ride.

i think she wants the GXP. we are going to be

in the market in around 12 months when our lease

is up.

IF GM asked me, (this to GM) i would say that

a market exists for a Mazda Speed 6 competitor

with AWD in my snow belt area of the USA.

put a commensurate number of horses in optional engines

with a turbo motor as an option,

do the AWD as an option,

and away you go.

someone asked if the rear wing might

make vision a chore. it might but from

the looks of the show car, it seems the

wing is in line with the upper shelf level

along the trunk hood behind the rear passengers.

i don't think that much will be obscured.

i WOULD like Pontiac to offer an option for

larger mirrors all around as i routinely

park with my left and right mirror controller.

and GM ... how about a locking gas cap?

IF GM asked, my wife and every other female

customer you can count, want a spot for their

pocketbooks in the front. GM cars and even trucks

have precious little storage room from what

i have seen.

I just love this!!

Everyone complains about the G8 as too plain and now the G GXP as overdone.

Pontiac just can't win.

The problem is Pontiac needs to stop tring to please the old customers and just move ahead in a new direction. The good old days are good but how many times can you listen to the Beach Boys and no anoy those around you.

A good solid RWD program in a well priced quality car will sell just fine to many new Pontiac buyers once they stop playing games. While AWD would be nice it is not required. I live in the snow belt of the great lakes and most people will not pay the extra cost of AWD as you really don't need it if you have lived here very long. Slick road skills and a good set of tires suit us fine.

The companies from Japan have shown that most people want more conceritive looking cars. Euro influance helps as many try to copy BMW and Benz. Pontiac can carve a place for themselves if they try to be true and stop living in the 80's.

I think the G8 sales will reflect what todays people want. the doors will make a differance as the car companies try to sell coupes but most people do not car or want them unless they are a Mustang or a small car like a Cobalt.

Pontiac just needs to let the G6 ride out till it is replace by a new car unlike the other GM divisions and just pray people will give them a second look after so many years of deluted cars that were nothing more than a fancey Chevy.

IMO, it's quite hard to do a really great looking coupe, because most are so damned small. Not easy to design a fluid, athletic coupe when the lines are forced to turn sharply or end abruptly, especially with the current dumb-ass trend of highlighting panel seams as styling elements. I am more forgiving in general regarding a wagon because it's primary reason for existing is (supposed to be) functional, not asthetic. I'm trying to think of a coupe I like... G35 isn't bad once you get past the JC Whitney grille, but that's much larger than the G6, if I'm not mistaken. Nothing else is springing to mind....

G35 Coupe:

Length - 182.2"

Width - 71.5"

Height - 54.8"

WB - 112.2"

G6 Coupe:

Length - 189.1"

Width - 70.4"

Height - 56.4"

WB - 112.3"

Even the Solara is better looking than this G6 GXP. U-G-L-Y. It ain't got no alibi! It ugly! :P

Edited by blackviper8891

Well, I'm surprised at ^. g35 comes off as a larger car in my eye, tho I cannot recall seeing them side-by-side; guess the lower/wider dimension of the g35 makes it appear offhandedly to be larger than the G6. I like both the G6 and the g35's styling... to an extent. The "camry" solara is flat ghastly, tho.

Edited by balthazar