Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

From Inside Line

At last Lexus has unveiled its much anticipated hot rod, a 400-horsepower version of the current IS four-door sedan. It will be designated the IS-F when it arrives at Lexus dealers in early 2008. The F-code IS is the first-ever true high-performance car from Lexus, and we see it as a legitimate challenger to the forthcoming BMW M3 V8. The IS-F is expected to be quick enough to reach 60 mph in less than 4.9 seconds.

The heart of the IS-F is a DOHC 5.0-liter V8 with a dual-intake system to help deliver 350 pound-feet of torque and specially engineered cylinder heads to help achieve a peak output of 400 hp. The V8 is adapted to a sequential-shift, eight-speed automatic transmission controlled by shift paddles located on the steering wheel. The transmission downshifts are accompanied by a throttle blip between gear selections. More important, a tightly calibrated torque convertor lock-up is expected to help deliver crisp throttle response.

The IS chassis appears to have been significantly upgraded to match the new V8. New suspension hardware reduces ride height by a full inch. The Brembo brake package includes six-piston front calipers and drilled, 14.2-inch front rotors. The car rides on 19-inch BBS wheels. The Lexus electronic stability control system can be switched off.

Lexus hasn't overlooked the appearance of the F-code IS sedan, either. A wildly florid body kit dramatically reshapes the grille and front fenders, while a big rear spoiler is attached to the trunk. Four exhaust tips peek out from beneath the rear bumper. The interior looks different as well thanks to lots of aluminized trim on the dash, aggressive sport seats and an optional white-and-black upholstery treatment.

The "F" designation has long been Toyota's internal code for radical, ground-breaking projects, and the IS-F seems as if it's prepared to live up to this heritage when it finally arrives at Lexus dealers in the spring of 2008.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The F-code IS is the first-ever true high-performance car from Lexus

The first true high-performance car from Lexus, and it's a slammed 4-door sedan with a body kit to make any need for speed fan proud.

Edited by siegen

I don't like the body kit much, but it's not terrible. The worst part, however, is the hood buldge. It looks downright silly in the profile shot.

I'm more interested with how it performs. Looks can sometimes be overlooked if it's a great performer.

Yup, just like the M5

It looks good- but...

It doesn't look useful to be out on the street.

No manual transmission.

Coupe model not present (same goes for the A4- a coupe was actually planned, but never built.)

Im not all too fond of the aero kit, but I could hardly care less about that. It seems it will be a good contender in the performance end of things.

Performance coupe? That is what this is for: http://www.lexus.com/fcv/lf_a.html Too bad it will likely cost $$$$$$

I suspect there will be a thread for that one soon enough though, so save discusion.

Edited by fuel_sipping

Looks ricey on the outside, comatose on the inside. I'm really quite curious to see where this car will find a home. High-powered Supersedans with Automatic transmissions has long been the domain of AMG alone, but this IS challenges them and adds a little rice flavour that will appeal to younger buyers.

Guest YellowJacket894

(I want to like this car. I do. But . . .)

The only thing I like about this car is the stance. That much they got right. Otherwise, it's a styling nightmare -- unnecessary, tacky body kit with a huge, overly aroused hood. Why didn't they come full circle and order the huge wing and Arrest-Me! Yellow paint to go along with it?

Toyota, learn the definition of a sleeper. Then get back with everyone. The M5 has way more restraint and class than this.

The lack of a manual transmission option and the cartoonish bodykit turn me off completely. I'd have to look at the CTS-v or another M3..

I wonder what the price point will be...probably up there in RS4 or M5 territory.. :(

Edited by moltar

Looks like an IS with an aftermarket body kit. Very un-impressive visually and doesn't appear to offer a manual transmission. I'm sure the horsepower is fine for a car that size but I don't really see this appealing to people other then current IS buyers looking for a power boost and Scion drivers who got their first high paying job after college.

I guess this is the first sports car for non-enthusiast people.

Edited by Cadillacfan

and 4,000 ricers just creamed their pants.

For the record:

CTS-V 400hp@6000rpm & 395 ft/lbs torque at 4400rpm..... on the outgoing model.

Why aren't we hearing how Lexus is just now "catching up"?

The saddest part?

Posted Image

Posted Image

..is that the Camry's steering wheel has metallic trim and looks better.

Exterior styling: Yech. This is not a car to buy because of the styling. The interior requires no apologies in my view. It doesn't have the junky feel of the Camry. The IS350 already has such great performance that the IS-F will appeal to a pretty limited group.

Exterior styling: Yech. This is not a car to buy because of the styling. The interior requires no apologies in my view. It doesn't have the junky feel of the Camry. The IS350 already has such great performance that the IS-F will appeal to a pretty limited group.

On paper it does but I believe reviews have had issues with the lack of feedback in the steering and the overly intrusive nannies.

Edited by Dodgefan

The body kit is horrible. You don't tack something so nasty and overdone on a luxury division performance sedan. I hope it's either optional or just done for the NAIAS/this photoshoot. Lack of a manual transmission is a major mistake. It should at least be optional.

I like the IS in non-F trim, but I find the body kit disgusting. The lack of a manual transmission is inexcusable.

They will never be taken seriously as an enthusiast's car until they include manual transmissions. Also they will just be laughed at for that body kit.

Performance may hold this car. But the lack of stick is not an excuse. I have seen many people buy M# manual. CTS-v only comes with manual.

Exterior does look riced, but the interior is pretty decent except for the gear lever, which looks lifted from the Titan. Needs to be sporty, not trucky.

They should have added some aluminum in the all black dashboard, it kinda looks cheap.

:puke:

Reminds me of a riced out 1995 Honda Accord. It sits too low (Looks broken) and won't have the phenominal of a perfromance curve not to count it looks as if they bought the body kit from Wal-Mart.

But, to :deadhorse: I'm sure the press will be doing a whole lot of this: :omfg::drool::cheering: and then this when sales pick up :cheers: they'll expect every other luxury performance denotation to :bowdown:

I don't like the body kit much, but it's not terrible. The worst part, however, is the hood buldge. It looks downright silly in the profile shot.

I'm more interested with how it performs. Looks can sometimes be overlooked if it's a great performer.

I agree, it's the elephant seal of Lexuses. You can tell the V8 really didn't want to fit in there. It looks as if you stop too quickly it'll just pop out.

It wouldn't be at the top of the list (last gen M3 & CTS-V being 1 & 2), but overall I like. The body kit is a little over the edge, but other wise not a bad. I like the interior. Looking at a bigger picture of the Camry steering wheel, they don't look that similar to me. At least not much more similar than many steering wheels out there. Hell, I think it more closely resembles the CTS steering wheel.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Dragon